H-19 Rescue Helicopter

I picked this kit up at Hobby Town yesterday.  The last couple of kits that I have been working on have been old kits that were reissued.  I told myself that I would not work on another for a while (The Fairy Rotodyne nearly killed off all my modeling mojo).  Well since I was in a Rescue squadron and I liked the old style of art work on the box, the kit came home with me.

It is the latest release of the I don't know how many times reissued H-19 kit.

01_zpsajiewsie.jpg

Since I do not know anything about this helicopter and I am tired of all the extra work with these old kits I have decided to build this kit OOB.  If you want to see a nice build of this kit check out I-16's build, he is going all out.  As for me the box says this is a level 4 kit and the back of the box says...

02_zpsqll2zsgy.jpg

Age 12-14, mentally I am right there, Glue and paint, Check, and build time 5+ hours.  I am going to see how close to the 5 hours I can get.  Should be no pressure and nothing but fun.

So I started at 0640 and by around 1000 the rotor and the cockpit were done.

04_zpsfhrupbco.jpg

03_zpsq18as7fj.jpg

These pilots are horrible.  They are human shape lumps.  One of them seems to be a WWII pilot that has been reused.  I was going to stop there but I kept playing around with it until it was at this point

05_zpsyls3e4cx.jpg

It was 1045 so I called it quits for a while.  I am enjoying the build so I will probably work on it some more tonight.

Els

Edited by Els

Phantom,  at least there is a little bit of movement to the figures, they are not just the usual sitting at attention lumps that were in a lot of these old kits.

I got a little time to work on it today.  The nose was installed.

06_zpsppukwc5m.jpg

I have been very surprised at how well all the parts fit on this kit.  I have not used any putty.

There are some cracks in the front glass.  I am going to put a couple of coats of Future over them and I hope that will make them disappear.

07_zpsgptjjw2q.jpg

Then just when I thought it was ready for some paint I found this little gem molded on the boom.

08_zpsfh7vijzt.jpg

After removing that a coat of black.

09_zpsszjxxlto.jpg

Then some Tamiya steel.

10_zpsbuqwmujs.jpg

A couple of coats of Future and then decals.

11_zpsoa7sripz.jpg

Its moving along.

I did not look at any photo's of the real helicopters until I got to the decal stage.  I did not want to start picking at the kit and trying to accurize/change anything.  One thing that I did find that was either wrong with the kit or wrong with my build is that the front gear should be farther apart.  I used the kit piece that has the holes very close together but after looking at some pics they should be farther apart.  I am not changing it now but just be advised.

I should be able to finish it up tomorrow.

Els

Le Boz, thank you.

dnl42, I like those pictures.  Once Kursad comes out with some decals for this kit I think I might build a couple more.  This kit has very basic decals but they worked great.

It is done and if I can get Photobucket to work for 5 minutes I will post a picture.

12_zps2huneolq.jpg

I will post a couple of more pics in the completed section.

This was a fun little kit.  I didn't use any putty and it looks good on the shelf.  I really like helicopters but I don't build them very often because the rotors take up to much space.  If it weren't for this Group build I would not have built this one.  I had so much fun with this quick build that I am already pretty far into a pair of old Revell F-15C's.

Els