Korean War Skyraiders

kinda got the urge to build a dark blue Korean War Skyraider. Probably in 1/32 scale, but not against a 1/48th bird. Now in 1/48th, Tamiya sell a nice Skyraider. Still it's Vietnam era in my eyes. Now I've always heard the Trumpeter is a good kit, and is Korean vintage. One thing I'd like is the wing fold option, but also not a deal breaker. Knowing the size of a 1/48th Skyraider (big for a single engine prop plane), a wing fold would be nice for the 1/32 kit. So does the Trumpeter kit come with the wing folds? Or is there an after market kit for either scale?

TIA

gary

Gary;

The Skyraider is my most FAV fixed-wing. I have 28 Raiders kits. As for 48th you have (4) from ESCI,(3) from Italeri,(2) from Tamiya,(2) from Monogram.

In plastic for Korean, u have AD-4,AD-4Q/N/L/W,AD-5. Tamiya's kits are Viet Nam era, where as all the others are Korean/Viet Nam.

Revell /Monogram re-released the AD-5 about 4 years ago, which is the 4 seater. It has a lot of possibilities as far as convers. There are various update/conversion sets from Cobra,True details,Quickboost,Scale Aircraft Access.,and Aires. Also Metal landing gear is available. The major difference from Korea - Viet Nam era, is Cockpit,Ejection Seat,Guns,Doors(with/without),Air-Brakes,Pylons. Other than that converting from AD-3 thru AD-5, from any of the kits available is fairly easy.

Surf Aircraft Resource Center for build articles to get a flavor. Good Luck and make sure you post progress. CHEERS!!

Todd 

thanks! Might just opt for the Trumpeter. I have four Tamiya 1/48th kits an two or three 1/72 kits from Tamiya and maybe one from Hasegawa, but all the kits I have are Vietnam era. So i's a start all over thing for me. Still as nice as the Tamiya kit is. you'd have thought they'd have back dated it to Korea.

gary