Sprue Brothers Veterans Weekend sale??

52 minutes ago, jgrease said:

Scooby, what's not working for you here? First off, it's Memorial Day not Veterans' Day. Further, is the need for a discount at the forefront for you this weekend? SMH.

Wow, the hostility. I had thought I asked a very straight forward and simple question. Watching the Indy 500 today I heard the weekend referred to as both.  It was during a Ford commercial offering a Veteran's Weekend sale that I wondered if Sprue Brothers had a sale.

I served 25 years in uniform and deployed on deployments worldwide. I don't need someone that likely never served a day asking me what the weekend means to me. 

May 26, 2003 I lost a squadron mate in a Hornet crash. To this date I remind my  former squadron mates we lost "Nasty" on that day and we tip a few cold ones in his memory. It 14 years ago this past Friday. I haven't forgotten.  Nor have I forgotten any of the other losses I encountered while in uniform.

I note that you had some items for sale offering the cheapest shipping. Which is the main reason I look for sales from US vendors. Because a $75.00 kit often means I am paying $50 plus in shipping, often it matches the cost of the kit. So I wait for sales to order from the US.

Oddly it is cheaper for me to ship the same kit to the States or to order it from the other side of the globe.

My apologies for offending you with my simple question. I have seen far worse asked here. I often wonder about the motives of people on ARC.

I think its a valid question. SURPRISED they gave you a deal before. Everytime i try to use a veteran discount in the states (hotel, USS Intrepid museum) i get told i get nothing as i served Canada and not the US.

Could have sworn we are on the same side.

Jgrease, we dont  have two separate days of honour. Just rememberence day November 11. So its easy to forget the name of each of yours. Sort of like you may not know (perhaps you do) that last weekend for us was Victoria Day. To honour Queen Victoria and the first summer(almost) weekend. Our two countries do have some differences after all.

Gents - first off, I'm not going to get in a pissing match during a holiday I consider significant. You're Canadians? Great! You're veterans? Again - great that you served your nation. You choose to wear it on your sleeve here to justify your responses? Your option. You want to question my motives and who I am? Well good luck to you. The "hostility" arises when someone seems preoccupied with getting a good deal during a holiday meant to remember those that gave their lives in the service of my nation. There's my "motive" Scooby. Nothing complicated. Some respect for the day. You folks have a good weekend.

John

1 hour ago, jgrease said:

Gents - first off, I'm not going to get in a pissing match during a holiday I consider significant. You're Canadians? Great! You're veterans? Again - great that you served your nation. You choose to wear it on your sleeve here to justify your responses? Your option. You want to question my motives and who I am? Well good luck to you. The "hostility" arises when someone seems preoccupied with getting a good deal during a holiday meant to remember those that gave their lives in the service of my nation. There's my "motive" Scooby. Nothing complicated. Some respect for the day. You folks have a good weekend.

John

I asked a question, the pissing match came later. There was nothing derogatory in my question. Some businesses offer a discount this weekend as a form of thank you. 

As for Dave's reply, I don't get it. I know he uses Veteran's benefits. He used discounted accommodation during his trip to visit his mother last year.

Again, more hostility. And don't try to tell me I disrespect this holiday.

Umm, back to the original question, just got an email from Squadron, their Memorial Day sale is 25% off with coupon code MEMDAY17 thru midnite Monday. 

2 hours ago, habu2 said:

Umm, back to the original question, just got an email from Squadron, their Memorial Day sale is 25% off with coupon code MEMDAY17 thru midnite Monday. 

Picked up a Special Hobby Yak-3 just now for $36.74 + s/h. Thanks. :thumbsup:

Edited by gocoogs
On 2017-05-27 at 7:54 PM, Dave Roof said:

Are you asking about this weekend? If so, why would/should veterans get a discount on Memorial Day weekend?

I wasn't referring to veterans specifically, just a sale that everyone gets.

17 hours ago, Scooby said:

I asked a question, the pissing match came later. There was nothing derogatory in my question. Some businesses offer a discount this weekend as a form of thank you. 

As for Dave's reply, I don't get it. I know he uses Veteran's benefits. He used discounted accommodation during his trip to visit his mother last year.

Again, more hostility. And don't try to tell me I disrespect this holiday.

I'd like to clarify a few points.

First, I wasn't being hostile. I simply asked why should we (veterans) get a discount on Memorial Day. I now work in retail and hate - with - a - passion - everything about the "Memorial Day Sale" crap that infests this country.

Second, I stayed aboard Barksdale AFB during my trip to CA. That is a benefit afforded me simply because I am retired. It also happened to be a convenient stop during the drive.

Lastly, you did in fact specifically refer to veterans by asking if they were having a 'veterans weekend sale'.

My personal feelings about Memorial Day were ingrained in me by my Father, hardened when I entered the Marine Corps, even more strengthened when I lost one of my Marines in Afghanistan on April 6th of 2005 and solidified forever when I notified a Grandmother on October 22nd of 2006 that her Marine Grandson had passed.

I apologize if my initial response appeared to be hostile, that was not my intent. I simply do not agree with, or like the whole 'sale' thing during Memorial Day weekend. That is not what this day is about, but sadly, that is what it has become.

Respectfully,

Dave

5 hours ago, Scooby said:

Dave,

The day hasn't lost it's

meaning to me not will it ever.

The one error I see I made is I should have asked if there was a Memorial weekend sale.

I never meant to imply otherwise and apologize again if that appeared to be the case.

20 hours ago, Scooby said:

No worries, it wasn't your reply that got my goat.

That's the beauty of the internet - I didn't appreciate the quest for discounts on Memorial Day and you didn't like my answer. Time to move on.

John

15 minutes ago, jgrease said:

That's the beauty of the internet - I didn't appreciate the quest for discounts on Memorial Day and you didn't like my answer. Time to move on.

John

Agree.