Jump to content
ARC Discussion Forums
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
HomeBe

1/48 - North American FJ-2 & FJ-3 Fury by KittyHawk - FJ-2 released

Recommended Posts

It seems Kitty Hawk is just not as vocal about this model release as some of their others recently. It obviously won't be out until at least early next year. It was "supposed" to be out in October of this year. I'm also looking forward to it. The photos have it looking pretty good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the small nose intake it is definitely  an Fj-2 and not a 3. It might be possible to graft on a FJ-4 nose to make it a 3 though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Otto, there have been so many photos of the model that have a mix up of parts between the two versions I think it is causing a lot of confusion. Song has stated on Facebook that there will be two different noses for the two versions. I've seen photos of both the slatted wing as well as the cambered wing. I've seen the large intake as well as the small. I've seen the two types of rear fuselage intakes as well. I have no concern that as the release time gets closer the proper parts with the proper version will appear. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just catching up a bit - very informative thread.

 

Boy am I anticipating this release ... hopefully soon!!

 

Gene K

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/28/2018 at 9:17 AM, jpk said:

Otto, there have been so many photos of the model that have a mix up of parts between the two versions I think it is causing a lot of confusion. Song has stated on Facebook that there will be two different noses for the two versions. I've seen photos of both the slatted wing as well as the cambered wing. I've seen the large intake as well as the small. I've seen the two types of rear fuselage intakes as well. I have no concern that as the release time gets closer the proper parts with the proper version will appear. 

That is fantastic news. My squadron flew all three of the swept wing Furies so I will need one of each of these than. I have been waiting a long time for this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now that we are more than halfway through August... Has anyone heard any news on a release of the FJ-2?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No. There was no test shot, no sprues, and not even any box art on display at the Nationals in Chattanooga. I only heard vague, second hand excuses and that's about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It will be released after the late Banshee, Cutlass, Pirate and Tiger. And then after they run through the entire Soviet steam punk aircraft and military equipment inventory. LOL. At least the helo guys are seeing kits of every permutation the the H-60.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Chriss7607 said:

No. There was no test shot, no sprues, and not even any box art on display at the Nationals in Chattanooga. I only heard vague, second hand excuses and that's about it.

The FJ-2 box art was included in a poster of forthcoming kits at the KH tables in Chattanooga.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oops. My apologies. I obviously missed that. I was hoping to see test shots or something but they didn't have any. 

 

If it's decent, I would like to do Alex Vraciu's Fury from VF-51 and one of the -3Ms from VF-121 Pacemakers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Tailspin Turtle said:

The FJ-2 box art was included in a poster of forthcoming kits at the KH tables in Chattanooga.

Oops. My apologies. I obviously missed that. I was hoping to see test shots or something but they didn't have any. 

 

If it's decent, I would like to do Alex Vraciu's Fury from VF-51 and one of the -3Ms from VF-121 Pacemakers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/21/2019 at 8:59 AM, Tailspin Turtle said:

The FJ-2 box art was included in a poster of forthcoming kits at the KH tables in Chattanooga.

Hi Tommy. I think the OP was wondering about when it may be released as KH originally said last April, then changed it to this month last April. The artwork for both the -2 and -3 Fury's have been out for several months now. I was at the nats and saw the poster but still nothing from them this month re the kit after they last said it would be out around now. There are a lot of people anxious to get these two kits. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/21/2019 at 5:40 AM, jpk said:

It will be released after the late Banshee, Cutlass, Pirate and Tiger. And then after they run through the entire Soviet steam punk aircraft and military equipment inventory. LOL. At least the helo guys are seeing kits of every permutation the the H-60.

Would that Tiger be an F-5 or F11F?

 

The others mentioned give me hope for some 1/48 F11F love... :pray:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, jpk said:

Hi Tommy. I think the OP was wondering about when it may be released as KH originally said last April, then changed it to this month last April. The artwork for both the -2 and -3 Fury's have been out for several months now. I was at the nats and saw the poster but still nothing from them this month re the kit after they last said it would be out around now. There are a lot of people anxious to get these two kits. 

I was just responding to the part of the statement that there was no box art on display. That there was suggests that there is still hope. My understanding is that at least some of the delay is the desire to get the configuration right...

Edited by Tailspin Turtle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/24/2019 at 9:56 AM, dnl42 said:

Would that Tiger be an F-5 or F11F?

 

The others mentioned give me hope for some 1/48 F11F love... :pray:

It is the Grumman Tiger. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/24/2019 at 10:30 AM, Tailspin Turtle said:

I was just responding to the part of the statement that there was no box art on display. That there was suggests that there is still hope. My understanding is that at least some of the delay is the desire to get the configuration right...

The photos posted by KH a year ago sure looked pretty good to me save for the apparent mix up of parts between versions ie: parts for a -3 on a -2 and vice versa. Their CADs looked pretty good as well. If KH cut the molds not understanding the differences between the versions and cut the molds incorrectly, like cutting parts for a -3 on trees for a -2, I could see a delay because of the time involved in correcting them. I find it curious that prior to releasing all the soviet fighter stuff and the Blackhawk, Little Bird kits and Huey kits, their FB page is full of daily up dates of CADS  and shots of the kit parts on and on. Yet with this particular kit, crickets. You would think in order to ramp up interest they would be doing a lot of teases on the progress. That costs them nothing and it would at least populate their FB pages with something other than helos and Russian stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to "Slowhand" Gil Hodges over on HS, the Kitty Hawk FJ-2 is currently in production in China. He learned this from the Kitty Hawk rep that was at the recent Nationals in Chattanooga. He also said delivery may be delayed because of the current tariff issues. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It appears the new Kitty Hawk Fury has been removed from the new release list over at Cybermodeler. That can mean one of two things, the release is imminent or delayed again. The kit was rescheduled to be released this month after its initial release for last April was pushed back to this month. Wonder what the issue is. I was really looking forward to the kit. 

Edited by jpk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am desperately hoping it is still going to be released.  It has been on and off and on again the Cybermodeler list for a while now.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FB post says the -2 is close to shipping and Cybermodel has the -3 listed for Decemberish.............it is my emphasis on the ish......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ordered the  FJ-2 from to this expired eBay listing having no idea of a reasonable price - didn't matter since I had been anxiously awaiting its release for so long. Unbelievably, the well packed kit showed up at my door here in Florida, USA this morning -- FEDEX delivery from China to the US in four (4!) days. :penguin:


Kit looks excellent in all respects, with only very minor sink marks on the nose wheel door, and in the nose wheel bay molded onto the intake trunk. These sink marks are caused by ejection towers in the insides of the intake pieces, and will be an easy fix, as will be the ejection marks on the inside of both the top and bottom intake pieces.  Other than that, there is a minuscule trace of flash on a few parts --very little.  All in all impressive plastic! The molding is first rate, as is the packaging and presentation -- the best I've seen from Kitty Hawk.

 

The fit is very good -- I taped together the major components with no problems at all. Really looks the part, and hopefully experts like Tommy Thomason will give accuracy a big thumbs up.

 

Bring on the FJ-3!!!!

 

Gene K

 

Add: The well sculpted resin figures look like tall, emaciated basketball players, especially the pilot. He certainly can't have much body fat under his G Suit and other flight gear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...