ARC Discussion Forums
HomeBe

1/48 - North American FJ-2 Fury by KittyHawk - 3D renders+box art - release in 2018

I knew it would happen sooner or later. Too much interest in the subject. I was tempted the place a bid on one that just sold on ebay for $177.00. So glad I didn't now.

The CAD looks to be quite good to my eyes.

Yeah!!! I hope they get the intake correct. For me, that's one of the most noticeable parts of the FJ-3/4. I could live with the old ESCI kit if the intake had the large look to it. Either way I'll get one. They still need to come out with the F2H-3/4 Banshee though!

Darren, I bought the ESCI kit as well as the Grand Phoenix -4 several months ago to possibly do a bash but with this news that becomes a moot point. I really didn't spend that much on the two as I got them at a local model show cheap. Now I can just keep the -4 and trash the ESCI kit.

I almost pulled the trigger, bidding for a recent Collect Aire FJ-3 on ebay. So glad I didn't. The thing sold for over $175.00. The bidding ended around 3-4 days ago. Whew, I'll bet that guy will be pissed when he gets the news!

Paul Boyer will be excited!

Addendum

I didn't know 1/72 was Paul's chosen scale. It seems however when ever the subject of the FJ-3 Fury came up on the boards, he was one of the first to post the need for an accurate kit of the subject. I'm surprised the subject has been overlooked in 1/72 as that scale usually has a more diverse accounting of aircraft, both common and obscure. 

Edited by jpk

To Kittyhawk

Please get rid of the open gunbays as no one wants them.

Not Boyer's scale, but still extremely welcome news.  Dear Lord, get this one right. 

Rick L.

I agree Stephen. No open gun bays.....or separate folded wing panels! They NEVER fit.

What would be good is if they like another maker, scribed the inside on the fuselage and wings to allow those that want to open them up to do so. Also provide an extra, separate gun bay panel to pose open. Maybe even do like Kinetic did with their recent F/A-18C with separate wing fold panels in addition to the full and complete wing giving the option of folded wings.

Kinetic has really upped their game when it comes to new mold tech. Perhaps KH will attempt to catch up.

Still, just the fact that they are doing a Fury is going to make many folks happy. I'd love to do a Fury in VF-33 markings.

1 hour ago, Spruemeister said:

Dear Lord, get this one right. 

Hallelujah... and Amen!!

Gene K

Hahaha,,,,,,,,,I guess I did it this time.

I have a whole stack of Sabre's all cut up into parts and ready to do the "shim here, glue there" thing with them to make two Fury models. (we had to do the "sliver slice and shim" thing to cut H parts and fit them to F and E parts to try and get the FJ-3 shape)

So, a 1/72 version will probably follow much sooner than usual behind this 1/48 rendering.

It does appear to have FJ-3 and FJ-3M features in that drawing,,,I wonder if they will swap out molded parts for either one in the finished kit? Or do separate boxings.

Couldn't agree more on NO open gun bays, though maybe with option to open them from inside if desired by that TINY minority who does. 

And nice if true of 72'd following after....15 years ago I went to a lot of trouble to make mine, I can tell you! And funny you should say, Boyer was the one who pointed me in the right direction for it.

Andrew, is your's posted somewhere? Just curious as to what approach you used for your's.

I have RJ's build of the Falcon kit bookmarked.

Sadly I will have my two done and painted long before the 1/48 kit gets here, in markings that I didn't have any "good" choice of markings for.

The bright side is that there will be an OOB kit to use to point out my errors with. Just take the kit dimensions and reduce 67% and point to my mistakes, lol.

Hmm, sorry 1/48 guys,,,,,I should have started a separate thread for my 1/72 talk.

I am just glad that we are getting a Fury kit in ANY scale soon,,,a long neglected aircraft is getting some attention from the Manufacturers.

8 minutes ago, Rex said:

Andrew, is your's posted somewhere? Just curious as to what approach you used for your's.

I have RJ's build of the Falcon kit bookmarked.

Sadly I will have my two done and painted long before the 1/48 kit gets here, in markings that I didn't have any "good" choice of markings for.

The bright side is that there will be an OOB kit to use to point out my errors with. Just take the kit dimensions and reduce 67% and point to my mistakes, lol.

Hmm, sorry 1/48 guys,,,,,I should have started a separate thread for my 1/72 talk.

I am just glad that we are getting a Fury kit in ANY scale soon,,,a long neglected aircraft is getting some attention from the Manufacturers.

Well, just so we don't hijack this thread any more than we already have, go ahead and start a new thread asking about 72nd Furys and I'll post pics and info....

Aaaaand, back to the 48th show, folks! :cheers:

Oh HELL Yeah!!! :thumbsup2: 

That pesky gap in my 1/48 (un-built) Navy collection is going doooowwwwn...

4 hours ago, jpk said:

Kinetic has really upped their game when it comes to new mold tech. Perhaps KH will attempt to catch up.

But KittyHawk has problems with accuracy, not "mold technology".  Hopefully their excellent Collect AIre master will be a great starting point.

Gene K

12 hours ago, Rex said:

So, a 1/72 version will probably follow much sooner than usual behind this 1/48 rendering.

Does Kittyhawk do 1/72 versions of their 1/48 kits?

probably not

I was just making the standard online joke "I got one done (or nearly done), so a kit will come out soon."

We've seen that comment dozens of times when a new kit comes out.

(and the line fits much better with the paragraph I typed above it,,,,,,it wasn't meant as a line all by itself)

Edited by Rex

Im actually verry surprised of the scale considering the already started their F-86 line

Glad they did the folding wings

Neo, it seems that KH could have gone in one of two directions in scale with this release. If they went 1/32 with the FJ-3 they would be in scale only with their F-86D, their lone 1/32 jet model. Different service and only related by manufacturer. If they go in 1/48 it fits in nicely with their previously released F9F-8 and F9F-8T Cougars as well as their ill fated F2H-2 Banshee, all contemporary aircraft in the same service branch. Add to that their proposed 1/48 F2H-3/4 Banshee. I would guess if the F11F Tiger project is still alive at KH that after the Fury it would make far more sense to do it in 1/48 rather than 1/32 because of the fore mentioned reasons. I just hope if the Tiger is still alive they DO NOT use the CA Tiger as a starting point. They would be far better off using the FM Tiger to use as a basis.

Edited by jpk

I have abated breath about this announcement.  Since if KH does not have the best track record .  I hope the improvements in accuracy and mold technology is reflected in this kit??

I will be a wait & see guy on this one eventhough the FJ-3 is one of my early USN jets favorites.  After the debacle with the Banshee I am a bit cautious.  I built three KH kits in articles online and in magazines so I am quite familiar with their kits: 1/48 F-101C; F9F-8T and F9F-8P (recce version).  The Super Etendard was a jigsaw puzzle of a kit and I avoided it since the Kinetic kit is a better building kit.  Kittyhawks' 1/32 kits are a bit better recently so lets hope this migrates down into their 1/48 kits?????????

I suggest they take a page from Bandais ' book on model and kit design there stuff is simply amazing and even rivals Tamiya!

Steve,    

Edited by scorvi

35 minutes ago, jpk said:

I just hope if the Tiger is still alive they DO NOT use the CA Tiger as a starting point. 

I sure agree on both points!

Collect Aire models did vary widely as concerns accuracy/quality, depending on who did the masters. The CA FJ-3 was done by the Russian artist who mastered the best of the CA line, including the Cougar and FJ-4, among others. He definitely didn't have a hand in the early CA chunk of resin labelled Tiger. 

Gene K

Edited by Gene K

Yes Gene, Dimitri Malkov is an artist. I have two CA kits mastered by him, the Lockheed T2V-1 Seastar and the WF-2/E-1B Tracer. Two resin kits that assemble for the most part like their injection molded cousins. They appear to be very accurate as well. Certainly the most accurate because they are the only examples of models of these aircraft. They compare very well to the information from the Ginter books on those subjects. I have also bought some of his conversion parts at Dmold, his current business venture. I highly recommend his parts if you are doing a conversion or correction to one of your models.

I was about to look for a CA FJ-3 when this announcement was made. Thankfully I didn't spend the two hundred bucks at least it would have taken to get one. I saw one sell several months ago for four hundred bucks.

I was thinking as I am building my 1/48 Great Wall T-33 (hoping they do a F-80 too).  That it would be nice to see the KH FJ-3 tooled in this manner.  What a nice kit the T-33 is!!

Steve,

On 5/30/2017 at 10:04 AM, jpk said:

Dimitri Malkov (Collect Aire pattern maker) is an artist. I have two CA kits mastered by him, the Lockheed T2V-1 Seastar and the WF-2/E-1B Tracer.

A little off topic, I know, but until we hear more about the Fury:

I checked with Fotios Rouch, Mr. Collect Aire, and he confirmed that Dimitri mastered the following for CA:

F-94C Starfire
T2V-1 Sea Star
F9F-8/8P Cougar
FJ-3/M Fury

FJ-4(B) Fury
AF-2S/3S/2W Guardian
S-2E Tracker

WF-2/E-1B Tracer
F8U-3 Super Crusader
Lockheed F-90 Penetrator 

B/RB-66 Destroyer

F2H-3 Banshee

F-2H-4 Banshee

I just opened a couple of my seventeen CA kits to whiff the resin. Good stuff. :thumbsup:

Gene K

Edited by Gene K
Deleted Mig 19S Farmer C from list

I've built the F2H-3/4, the WF-2/E-1B, and the F9F-8. They were wonderful builds, almost as easy as injection molded. Then there were the other CA kits I built.......

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 6:37 PM, Gene K said:

A little off topic, I know, but until we hear more about the Fury:

I checked with Fotios Rouch, Mr. Collect Aire, and he confirmed that Dimitri mastered the following for CA:

F-94C Starfire
T2V-1 Sea Star
F9F-8/8P Cougar
FJ-3/M Fury

FJ-4(B) Fury
AF-2S/3S/2W Guardian
S-2E Tracker

WF-2/E-1B Tracer
F8U-3 Super Crusader
Lockheed F-90 Penetrator 

B/RB-66 Destroyer

F2H-3 Banshee

F-2H-4 Banshee

Mig 19S Farmer C

I just opened a couple of my seventeen CA kits to whiff the resin. Good stuff. :thumbsup:

Gene K

I emailed Fotios last night re the KH Fury Facebook announcement. You are correct in calling him Mr. Collect Aire, he does have quite a large stash. My small collection of CA kits only extend to the T2V-1 and E-1B. Believe it or not I was having trouble keeping from bidding on a recent -3 Fury on ebay this past week. Now I'm glad I was able to resist.

Edited by jpk