We thought we should leave the 1/48 thread for those guys.

So, Andrew, you have pics of your build?

I mentioned "markings that no one will do" in the 1/48 thread.

We actually have a couple of 1/72 Fury decals out there, but, they are for FJ-3 and we don't have a kit. Unfortunately, for me, I needed a VF-73 and VF-173 for my collection, forcing me to kit-bash F-86H, F-86F, F-86E, and Falcon FJ-3 parts to get one each of FJ-3 and FJ-3M.

As I said, I will have these parts all glued together and painted just in time for people to use the 1/48 kit to critique my builds. And the markings all scratched together for those two units.

Here is my recent [early wing] -3ish conversion.  I used the Falcon vac. conversion with Hobbycraft wings and some extra resin and parts for the interior.  I scratched the rest-used a Hasegawa A-4 Nose gear part -converted etc...  I have it next to my enhanced Emhar build (Paval and Print-Scale decals). 

Hopefully we will see a proper 1/72 FJ-3  and maybe Hobbybboss will scale down their nice 1/48 FJ-4 kit to 1/72??  We can only dream!!

Steve,

IMG_0829_zpszxmzlmji.jpg

IMG_0830_zpssnmtyxxg.jpg

IMG_0831_zpsf4qj9zyi.jpg

IMG_0828_zps5ldxbyes.jpg

IMG_0832_zps4k2exgll.jpg

DSCN1380_zpsaixxwcco.jpg

Edited by scorvi

Great work, Steve!

When I was doing my complete Jolly Rogers history from 2000-2008ish, I discovered what was NOT well-known at that time, that VF-61 flew -3 Furys. I only found this out during a phone conversation with a VF-61 pilot who flew them. Said they were terrific to fly but very unreliable; the final reason they did not deploy with them was when they were performing a flyby (Mem Day, 4th July, something like that) two of the birds involved flamed out and were INCREDIBLY lucky to land safely. 

So, the squadron CO right away said that was the last straw, they would have to do a RUSH course to do the F9F-8 before their upcoming deployment on the USS Intrepid; easy since most of them had been on the previous deployment with the F9F-6 on the USS Lake Champlain.

The pilot sent me a B/W photo of the officers in front of one of the Furys, and I based my build on this and his recollection. This was back in about 2001 or so. Since this build several other photos have surfaced; go figure!

This is the Falcon conversion with the Fujimi kit, plus a bunch of extras from the Academy kit, plus a TON of scratchbuilding. Long nosegear is the Aeroclub metal bit for the FJ-4. Trying to remember, but I think the mainwheels are also the Aeroclub on the Academy maingear legs. Seat is a heavily modified True Details F-86 seat. Much of the cockpit was from the TD F-94 pit, all cut up.

Decals took DAYS with all sorts of stuff including F9F stencilling. Jolly Roger flag is a combination of a bad decal with a ton of hand painting.

FLAWS: The pilot wasn't sure, but thought the tips of the horizontal stabs might have been white; turns out they weren't. Also wasn't sure if they had "VF-61" on the plane, couldn't tell from the photo I had. All the planes they flew right before did NOT have the squadron number on them, and all the planes they flew right after DID have it, so I had a 50/50 chance. I lost. Found years later that the FJ's didn't have it. Oh, well....

Picture001.jpgPicture003.jpgPicture004.jpgPicture005.jpgPicture006.jpgPicture007.jpg

Edited by Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy
1 hour ago, Tailspin Turtle said:

It turns out that an FJ-4 fuselage is a good starting point for the FJ-3  ... .

One of my favorite bookmarked pages (actually, your whole site is). Nobody does it better.

I really (REALLY(!)) hope your KittyHawk friends have asked for your collaboration on their 1/48 FJ-3.

Gene K

Edited by Gene K
2 hours ago, scorvi said:

I second that Gene and Tommy.  I hope KH has reached to you to get this one right---No Banshee debacle here please!

Steve,

I provided pretty much everything I had on the FJ-2/3 to Kitty Hawk at their request a few months ago. I'm hoping to get a chance to review what they've done with it before the kit gets tooled this time. However, I did not get a preview of the CAD that was just released or a request from them for comment yet. That said, it looks pretty good so far. As I think someone else noted, the CAD with the wings extended has the later wing (fixed and cambered leading edge, etc) and the ones with the wings folded has the slats of the first wing, which means they may produce kits of both the early (blue) and later (gray/white) FJ-3s.

4 hours ago, Tailspin Turtle said:

I provided pretty much everything I had on the FJ-2/3 to Kitty Hawk at their request a few months ago.

Outstanding -- hope they use your material ... and that you have input into the entire development process

Can I quote you in the 1/48 thread as I'm sure "those folks" would be impressed that you're involved ... at least up front?

Gene K

6 hours ago, Gene K said:

Outstanding -- hope they use your material ... and that you have input into the entire development process

Can I quote you in the 1/48 thread as I'm sure "those folks" would be impressed that you're involved ... at least up front?

Gene K

Sure - if I haven't myself already.

For those that may be interested. As I posted to the original Fury thread, over on Britmodeler in the "rumormonger" forum is a large selection of photos and original NA parts manual renderings.

A couple of years back, I had built the RVHP resin Fury. While overall outlines are good, details and fit are disappointing. I obtained custom Alps decals from a friend for the VF-33 markings. I modified the wing to carry leading-edge slats from a Hobbycraft Sabre. This will have to do until a decent injection kit comes along.

Furyweb3_zpsjs5dl5zd.jpg

Furyweb1_zpscpfcg4np.jpg

Furyweb2_zpswjm4hnyq.jpg

5 hours ago, Paul Boyer said:

A couple of years back, I had built the RVHP resin Fury. While overall outlines are good, details and fit are disappointing. I obtained custom Alps decals from a friend for the VF-33 markings. I modified the wing to carry leading-edge slats from a Hobbycraft Sabre. This will have to do until a decent injection kit comes along.

Furyweb3_zpsjs5dl5zd.jpg

Furyweb1_zpscpfcg4np.jpg

Furyweb2_zpswjm4hnyq.jpg

That's a really nice Fury there Paul. I have occasionally wanted to get the RVHP kit because it was a real -3 Fury but when ever I saw one for sale on ebay they were getting close to a hundred bucks. A "C" note for a 1/72 resin kit is a bit much. I've always liked the VF-33 markings, both blue and gray over white.