Is tenax 7R out of production?

I am uncertain of the status of Tenax production, but It has been hard to come by for a few years.  I took the recommendation of Weldon #3 . I like it. it is now sold under the name SCIGRIP 3 .   It is very thin and flows well from a touch and flow applicator. You can get it from plastic supply companies.  

You might also try Tamiya Extra Thin.  

good luck

Micro Mark " Same Stuff"

http://www.micromark.com/Same-Stuff-Professional-Plastic-Welder-Refill-2-fl-oz-_2

I too am out of TENAX and switched to Same Stuff....it's basically Ambroid Pro Weld in a different bottle and works as fast as TENAX and actually does a better job melting some plastic at the joint so you can get the squeeze of plastic ooze (acting as a filler when dry).  I would say it does that better than TENAX and/or Tamiya Extra Thin.

Cheers

Collin

6 hours ago, Bob Beary said:

Try MEK. It's supposed to be fast and bond well. Get it at the big box DIY stores.  A quart can will last you forever.

Bob

Have to look for that.What does it run for a quart near you?

About $10 for a quart. A small bottle of Tamiya or Tenax probably costs $5. Find it in the paint dept.

A modeler who shall go un-named, but who has built for magazine articles, said that since using MEK he has never had to clamp a model while the "glue" set. He also noted that MEK is probably in all of our liquid bonding agents in some proportion.

HTH

Bob

3 hours ago, Bob Beary said:

About $10 for a quart. A small bottle of Tamiya or Tenax probably costs $5. Find it in the paint dept.

A modeler who shall go un-named, but who has built for magazine articles, said that since using MEK he has never had to clamp a model while the "glue" set. He also noted that MEK is probably in all of our liquid bonding agents in some proportion.

HTH

Bob

Be very careful in the paint department of hardware or home improvement stores.  MEK is off the market in many if not all of them. Instead they sell "MEK Substitute," a citrus-based cleaner that has no solvent properties when it comes to welding styrene.  I have had to go to auto paint specialty stores in the greater Phoenix area to find the real thing.

18 minutes ago, VIPER0177 said:

I picked up a gallon of MEK at Lowes for about $25 a few months ago. It's a great glue but a little hot on some plastics.

Maybe it's a state-by-state thing, or maybe the policy was reversed.  At the time this stuff was being substituted, I bought 4 gallons at my local Lowe's, and depleted the stock, and I have not needed to shop for it lately.  My information might be out of date.

Update: I just went online and the local Lowe's now shows real Methyl Ethyl Ketone, not the substitute.  Maybe that substitute product failed, or some regulatory agency came to their senses.  Anyway, I'm pleased to stand corrected. 

The local Home Depot also lists real MEK.

My local Ace Hardware Website, on the other hand, turned up zero hits on a search for MEK or Methyl Ethyl Ketone.

Edited by Neptune48
Additional information
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...