CD144009 - 1/144 KC-135A/E Stratotanker

Curious that Minicraft does not show this on their website.   In fact they don't show any version of the 135E on their site.   A search of the interweb does pull up another similar announcement as the Hobby Search one Dutch got.  Even less details than what Hobby Search gives.  https://www.zinnfigur.com/en/Modelling/Model-Kits/Manufacturers-I-N/Minicraft-Model-Kits/1-144/KC-135E-Shamu.html

Years ago they had the Boeing E-6B Mercury listed as a future release in 1/144 and I've even seen where at one time they had the RC-135 Rivet Joint listed as a future release in 1/144.  Gets you hopes up then dashes them later.   Oh well.   Enough other things in the stash to keep me busy for next 100 years.

• 4 weeks later...

Kursad,

I am curious as to which 1/144 C-135 kit you are using as the base model for your decals?  Probably the Minicraft kit, right?  After all, it is in semi-production with lots of kits available and re-pops have been announced.  My concern is that the cockpit windscreen shape is all wrong.  Fisher Model & Pattern created a beautiful new nose piece to correct it, but sadly was burned out in the California fires two summers ago.  Have you considered the older Revell KC-135A kit as a possible base for the decals?  Probably not feasible.  Okay, so we need a new C-135 nose shape.  The recent builds using the Minicraft kit and your KC-135R decals are very nice and well done, but the cockpit area shape is just not right. I am just musing about how to fix the Minicraft nose.

K/r, Dutch

On 7/3/2020 at 6:22 AM, Dutch said:

Kursad,

I am curious as to which 1/144 C-135 kit you are using as the base model for your decals?  Probably the Minicraft kit, right?  After all, it is in semi-production with lots of kits available and re-pops have been announced.  My concern is that the cockpit windscreen shape is all wrong.  Fisher Model & Pattern created a beautiful new nose piece to correct it, but sadly was burned out in the California fires two summers ago.  Have you considered the older Revell KC-135A kit as a possible base for the decals?  Probably not feasible.  Okay, so we need a new C-135 nose shape.  The recent builds using the Minicraft kit and your KC-135R decals are very nice and well done, but the cockpit area shape is just not right. I am just musing about how to fix the Minicraft nose.

K/r, Dutch

Dutch,

My apologies if you’re already aware of this, Phase Hangar Resin makes a resin replacement nose for the Minicraft 707.

https://phasehangarresin.com/collections/72001-1-72/products/144001-boein-707-nose-correction-minicraft

9 hours ago, okthree said:

Dutch,

My apologies if you’re already aware of this, Phase Hangar Resin makes a resin replacement nose for the Minicraft 707.
https://phasehangarresin.com/collections/72001-1-72/products/144001-boein-707-nose-correction-minicraft

okthree,

Yes, I am well aware of the Phase Hangar resin 707 nose, I have two, and one of the original Two Mike's resin noses and a Contrails canopy replacement as well.  These are all designated for 707/E-3 builds.  I also have several Fisher Model & Pattern KC-135 noses, which I prefer for the KC-135 kits.  As Mr. Fisher was burned out in the Paradise fire two summers ago, I may see if I can persuade someone to create a 3-D nose to replace and correct the hideous cockpit shape of the Minicraft kit.  I'm a little busy of late though, so no promises when.  R/ Dutch

3 hours ago, Dutch said:

okthree,

Yes, I am well aware of the Phase Hangar resin 707 nose, I have two, and one of the original Two Mike's resin noses and a Contrails canopy replacement as well.  These are all designated for 707/E-3 builds.  I also have several Fisher Model & Pattern KC-135 noses, which I prefer for the KC-135 kits.  As Mr. Fisher was burned out in the Paradise fire two summers ago, I may see if I can persuade someone to create a 3-D nose to replace and correct the hideous cockpit shape of the Minicraft kit.  I'm a little busy of late though, so no promises when.  R/ Dutch

👍

On 7/3/2020 at 4:22 AM, Dutch said:

Kursad,

K/r, Dutch

I left the plastic as is, puttied the offending windscreen shape and then used an old Liveries Unlimited windshield from some 1/144 707/727/737 sheet.  I liked the way in turned out.  

The only reason I used the LU windscreen decals instead of those provided by Caracal on the generic C-135 sheet is the LU windscreen had silver surrounding the “glass.”  I needed that for my day-glo/international orange Stratolifter (one of the eighteen delivered.)

G0MlGpu.jpeg

mv9pa7Q.jpeg

Edited by AD-4N

Yes Skyraider, I must say that I liked the way yours turned out as well. I really like the da-glo red bands and duraluminum finish. And you did an excellent job recontouring the cockpit windscreen shape. I have used the old ATP 707 windshield decals on numerous Revell KC-135 kits. I must say they fit that kit rather well also, but it was really a Revell 707-120 out if the box, anyway.  

K/r, Dutch 

On 7/6/2020 at 2:16 PM, Dutch said:

Yes Skyraider, I must say that I liked the way yours turned out as well. I really like the da-glo red bands and duraluminum finish. And you did an excellent job recontouring the cockpit windscreen shape. I have used the old ATP 707 windshield decals on numerous Revell KC-135 kits. I must say they fit that kit rather well also, but it was really a Revell 707-120 out if the box, anyway.  

K/r, Dutch 

Thanks, you are very kind.  I thought about buying the Fisher nose before the Paradise fire, but figured the LU decals would do.  

The windscreen markings in the generic set were designed for the Minicraft kit - I know the kit shape is not right, but I am not sure what the issue with the windscreen decals is. Perhaps you can send me a PM and point me to a build where I can take a look.

18 hours ago, KursadA said:

The windscreen markings in the generic set were designed for the Minicraft kit - I know the kit shape is not right, but I am not sure what the issue with the windscreen decals is. Perhaps you can send me a PM and point me to a build where I can take a look.

Kursad,

I don't have any beef with your windscreen decals on your 1/144 generic C-135 markings sheet or the window shadows/outlines on your 1/144 KC-135R sheet. I can't point to a particular build where your coclpit decals are not correct.  I guess I just have a problem with the Minicraft nose/cockpit shape, period.  So I will work on that.  No correction necessary for the decals.

K/r,

Dutch

1 hour ago, Drifterdon said:

With all the new forthcoming sheet announcements, when will we see this one come to fruition?

Don,  Don't poke the bear!  Patience, Grasshopper!  🤞 🤞

Edited by Dutch
  • 2 weeks later...

This is what I am thinking for the first sheet - these are all overall light gray KC-135A or E's:

-2BW

-97BW

-92BW

-9SRW

-42BW

-509BW

-379BW

-380BW

-22ARW

-314ARS

I will add a couple Shamu aircraft and a few more recent AMC Gray options in there as well. It looks like there will be space for 14-15 options plus some basic stencilling for those who do not want to buy the general purpose sheet (which will be reprinted). 

The 1/72 sheet will feature 8 KC-135A/E/Q options, most likely all in the overall light gray scheme. It will not have any stencilling or national insignia and will require the 1/72 scale general purpose KC-135 markings sheet, or your kit decal sheet.

Thanks for the update!  That’s a great lineup, and I think 917 ARS/96 WG from Dyess would be a great candidate for Shamu and/or AMC gray A-models, as both paint schemes could be found on jets with the DY tail code and steer head fin flash. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/96th_Test_Wing#/media/File%3ABoeing_KC-135Q_Stratotanker_(717-148)%2C_USA_-_Air_Force_AN2017644.jpg

For 2 BW, most photos I’ve seen of the 1980s overall gray jets featured the green and yellow checkerboard fin flash, and around 1987 the fleur-de-lis was added to the tail. 

Chris

Edited by Gator52

Kursad,

I like the first rollout. Long overdue for us tanker guys. Do you also plan another sheet to cover down on another 14-15 Active USAF options for the remaining Hi-Viz markings?  And please do an ANG sheet. You could probably fit all the ANG tail bands on one sheet.  Better order double the usual first run print quantity for that one.

K/r,  Dutch 

Edited by Dutch
23 hours ago, KursadA said:

This is what I am thinking for the first sheet - these are all overall light gray KC-135A or E's:

-2BW

-97BW

-92BW

-9SRW

-42BW

-509BW

-379BW

-380BW

-22ARW

-314ARS

I will add a couple Shamu aircraft and a few more recent AMC Gray options in there as well. It looks like there will be space for 14-15 options plus some basic stencilling for those who do not want to buy the general purpose sheet (which will be reprinted). 

The 1/72 sheet will feature 8 KC-135A/E/Q options, most likely all in the overall light gray scheme. It will not have any stencilling or national insignia and will require the 1/72 scale general purpose KC-135 markings sheet, or your kit decal sheet.

Hi,

That would be a nice sheet, but are there any E-models on that?

I thought that the KC-135E only served in ANG units and that list seems  almost entirely active duty USAF. I gather that the 314th ARS was AFRES, so probably no E-models either.

I'll echo Dutch in saying "Please do an ANG sheet."

Cheers, Stefan.

3 hours ago, Stefan buysse said:

Hi,

That would be a nice sheet, but are there any E-models on that?

I thought that the KC-135E only served in ANG units and that list seems  almost entirely active duty USAF. I gather that the 314th ARS was AFRES, so probably no E-models either.

I'll echo Dutch in saying "Please do an ANG sheet."

Cheers, Stefan.

Stefan,

Actually, The AFRES also participated in the E re-enginng program with the ANG, so they flew A, E & R models. The 314th ARS appears to be the only E on the sheet, unless Kursad adds some as yet unidentifed Shamu Es. BTW, if it is the red check mark tail band, you should be able to build either an A or an E as both models wore these marks.

K/r, Dutch

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/military-unit/314 ARS xSx AFRES

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:KC-135E_AFRes_(26444264603).jpg

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:KC-135E_AFRes_(26773576810).jpg

Edited by Dutch
13 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Thanks, Dutch.

That 58-0053 would suit my needs already.

The reason why I'm so keen on an E-model is that the engines in the Academy kits aren't that great. I have the Fisher set with the engines for the E and I'm not going to use my Fisher nose on anything else.

Cheers, Stefan.

Stefan has a point - the only -E model among the options I finished designing was 58-0064 of the 314 ARS.

It is feasible to add some ANG units to the 1/144 sheet, but it looks like I will need to design separate sheets for -A and -E models in 1/72.  I don't want to have two new 1/72 KC-135 sheets at the same time, so it will have to be the -A sheet first; and then an -E sheet only after the first sheet proves to sell well for a year or so.

Yes please if dont mind dont  forget us Arkansas Air Guard guys from the 70s and 80s.  We had a A models and E models.  And I had sent photos long time ago when you first talked about doing the decals. If you can squeeze us in somewhere please.   Thanks.    

15 hours ago, ARKHERKYLOAD said:

Yes please if dont mind dont  forget us Arkansas Air Guard guys from the 70s and 80s.  We had a A models and E models.  And I had sent photos long time ago when you first talked about doing the decals. If you can squeeze us in somewhere please.   Thanks.    

I have a Revell 1/139 KC-135A kit that I removed the excess length in front of and behind the wing and switched the engines to TF-33s for a 1/144 KC-135E with Arkansas tail band and wing badge from an ESCI 1/72 F-100D kit. SCM link here. Scroll to the bottom for the in progress build photo album.

Edited by Dutch
add link.
On 6/3/2017 at 11:54 AM, Spruemeister said:

KC-135A #1 City of Renton in its roll out markings and maybe as it's later command post configuration as it is now at McConnell. 

Rick L. 

I don't often quote myself, but when I do it's because I feel the need to add nothing to the discussion, and unnecessarily focus attention back on my own selfish desires from several years ago. 

Edited by Spruemeister
cleanup