CD144009 - 1/144 KC-135A/E Stratotanker

Kursad, 

You could call this first 1/144 sheet KC-135A Pt.1 or SAC KC-135A Tankers, Pt.1.  That way you could make a SAC KC-135A Tankers Pt.2 and and ANG KC-135A/E Tanker sheet also.  I am almost 100% positive (😇) that 58-0064 of the 314 ARS started life as a KC-135A, so technically, you could leave the markings on there and let the modeler build a KC-135E if they want to.  You just add a 314th ARS KC-135A profile, but add a * note saying that it was later converted to KC-135E. Just a thought.

K/r, Dutch 

Edited by Dutch
  • 2 months later...
8 hours ago, Dutch said:

Steven, Good link.  Robert S Hopkins, III mentions that RC-135E Lisa Ann/Rivet Amber had a 18 inch fuselage extension. forward.  I didn't know that!  I have the Big Safari book by Col Bill Grimes, and I don't think it mentions that fact.  Pay attn Brother Don for your Rivet Amber build. K/r, Dutch

I've heard that about the 18" extension and won't be including it.   Builds are too far along to worry about it. 

17 hours ago, Drifterdon said:

I've heard that about the 18" extension and won't be including it.   Builds are too far along to worry about it. 

@Drifterdon,  If I do build a Rivet Amber, I think I will use the Revell E-3A AWACS kit as a base, then I will only have to trim a little from the forward fuselage to get the right length. K/r,  Dutch 

• 4 months later...
On 5/2/2019 at 3:47 PM, bluedot25 said:

The fuel dump pipe isn't difficult to make from scratch... A little carving, putty, sanding and plastic strip and rod.... Here's the one I made on my current build of the NC-135B...  In Dutch's pic, it looks like the "boomer's" window might still be there... on most, if not all others so modified, it was not...RefPod.jpg

Tom, Your comment about the fuel dump pipe and boomer station windows got me thinking.  I do know that several of the early C-135A transports were delivered as "falsies", i.e. no boomer station.  The NASA Vomit Comet was one of these, I believe, receiving it third hand after the USAF & FAA had used it.  The NKC-135A 55-3129 with the winglets and nose cone was one of the first KC-135As off the production line, and so originally had the IFR boom installed, hence the boomer station windows are present even though the IFR boom has been replaced by the fuel dump pipe.

HTH,  Kind regards, Dutch  

Edited by Dutch

On my 1/144 C-135A Stratolifter, I converted the fuel dump pipe from the refueling boom.  Not certain if it is 100% correct, but from photos, early C-135As did not have many changes.  Also had to shave off the formation light appendages from the bottom of the forward fuselage.  Couldn't have done it without the Caracal decals, though.  

1/144 Minicraft C-135A Stratolifter

Edited by AD-4N
pictures

@AD-4N, Yes, beautiful work there!  In real life the fuel dump pipe is narrower.  Here is a photo of the 1/72 AMTech EC-135E/N ARIA accessories sprues.  The fuel dump pipe is located upper right. See how much thinner the fuel dump pipe is than the IFR boom?  Your build is top notch!  K/r, Dutch  

ec135nreviewbg_9.jpg.58d29cf5be3d3cbccb777e44fd7b6628.jpg

Thanks Dutch for your kind comments about my C-135A.  Yep, I can see my fuel pipe is too thick now.  For the life of me, I could not find any C-135A pictures of fuel pipe clearly.

I could tell the wings had been removed, but that was about it.  😃

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 6/2/2020 at 10:07 PM, Dutch said:

Just received this item release notice from Hobby Search Japan:

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10699384

It does not specify what markings are included,  but notes two different options. 

So with the demise of Minicraft, we have zero Shamu decals for 1/144 KC-135A/E/R (i am not counting the Roden KC-135R decals, as they need replacing.)  

@KursadA,

You released the beautiful A/E/R hi-vis markings in 1/72. How about a little 1/144 love, please?

K/r, Dutch