CD144009 - 1/144 KC-135A/E Stratotanker

40 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Kursad,

Will you be releasing the KC-135A/E sheet in 1/72 or 1/144 in April?  Just curious.

R/

Dutch

I am doing my best to finish the 1/144 sheet on time - the 1/72 will need a bit more work.

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 12:22 PM, KursadA said:

I am doing my best to finish the 1/144 sheet on time - the 1/72 will need a bit more work.

Just out of curiosity, will there be an early short tail 135A on this sheet?

• 1 month later...

Oh yea, what Dutch said!! Actually anything NASA would be appreciated but this scheme is an eye catcher! I also like the potential for a conversion to make this model stand out on the shelf.

Have fun modeling

Mike

:cheers:

18 hours ago, Dutch said:

Kursad, Eventually, i would love to see these markings in 1/72 & 1/144 scale. R/ Dutch

1280px-KC-135A_with_Winglets_in_flight.jpg

Mike,

For the NKC-135A winglet study conversion, I see three main pieces:

A. Nose radome with probe;

B. Winglets (x2);

C. Fuel dump pipe.

I will see what I can do in 1/144 and possibly 1/72.

R/ Dutch

Edited by Dutch

I will consider both of them for future sheets - I am reprinting the C-135 general markings sheet this month in anticipation of the couple of C/KC-135 sheets I will be releasing in the next few months.

On 5/1/2019 at 7:54 AM, Dutch said:

Mike,

For the NKC-135A winglet study conversion, I see three main pieces:

A. Nose radome with probe;

B. Winglets (x2);

C. Fuel dump pipe.

I will see what I can do.

R/ Dutch

Nice photo Dutch. That would be an awesome scheme on the 1/72nd kit.

Also where is that fuel dump pipe you speak of? Can't make it out.

@skyhawk174  The fuel dump pipe is in place of the boom.  It is the narrow pipe leading from the boomer's station along the underside of the tail and terminates just about where the thin black line separates the white from the gray at the end of the tail.  Drifterdon's NASA Vomit Comet photo also shows the fuel dump pipe installed.  I think it is only included in the AMT/ERTL 1/72 RC-135V boxing.  

Edited by Dutch
Just now, Dutch said:

@skyhawk174  The fuel dump pipe is in place of the boom.  It is the narrow pipe leading form the boomers station along the underside of the tail and terminated just about where the thin black line separated the white from the gray  at the end of the tail.  Drifterdon's NASA Vomit Comet also has the fuel dump pipe installed.  Sadly no 1/72 or 1/144 kit includes it.  

Ok thanks Dutch. Hard to see on the photo and I thought it was just some sort of black painted line. I know some aircraft have them on the wing tips.  I will go have a look and see if I can find more pictures.

Also are you insinuating that you may be doing some sort of conversion pieces? In 1/144 I think those winglets are available? Braz maybe?

On 5/2/2019 at 2:46 PM, skyhawk174 said:

Also are you insinuating that you may be doing some sort of conversion pieces? In 1/144 I think those winglets are available? Braz maybe?

No, AFAIK, Bra.Z has not released winglets for the NKC-135A.  I have looked at all their other 1/144 winglets, and none seem to match the planform of the Whitcomb winglets applied to the NKC-135A.  They look pretty easy, just straight cardstock.  The nose will be a bit more of a challenge.  I am going to see if I can have them 3D printed.  I plan on using Evergreen stock tubing for the fuel dump pipe. 

Edited by Dutch
correct spelling

The fuel dump pipe isn't difficult to make from scratch... A little carving, putty, sanding and plastic strip and rod.... Here's the one I made on my current build of the NC-135B...  In Dutch's pic, it looks like the "boomer's" window might still be there... on most, if not all others so modified, it was not...RefPod.jpg

Edited by bluedot25
Correction
  • 5 weeks later...

Kursad,

Where is this sheet in the pipeline..? Really looking forward to this one... Can you give us an idea of what markings or units will be on it..? Thanks..!  👍

Edited by bluedot25
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

On 5/1/2019 at 6:46 PM, KursadA said:

I will consider both of them for future sheets - I am reprinting the C-135 general markings sheet this month in anticipation of the couple of C/KC-135 sheets I will be releasing in the next few months.

Kursad,

Have you already reprinted CD144004 C-135 Family Generic sheet yet?  Your website still shows it "Sold Out."  Before you reprint it, I have a suggestion.

I was noticing that you provide yellow door outlines for the early hi-viz aircraft gray scheme, red outlines for the Shamu scheme, and black outlines for the latest AMC gray scheme.  You also provide several sets of early style hi-viz SAC/ACC/MATS/MAC badges and two sets of later low-viz stencil style ANG/AFRC/AMC/AETC badges, but no Shamu era "subdued" badges.  Would it be possible to alter one of the latter sets (left or right side) to the Shamu era subdued versions of SAC/AFRC/ANG/ATC badges?  That would make the sheet infinitely more balanced and usable, unless you include the badges on another sheet with Shamu schemes.  Thanks,

R/

Dutch

ANG Subdued                                                            AFRES Subdued                                                           SAC Subdued

ANG_Subdued.jpg.dfbcbc09019a7ba5b2f499f8458ea279.jpg

AFRES_001.JPG

SAC002.JPG

Edited by Dutch