1/48 MK-52 Mines avail now

19 hours ago, RichardL said:

Hey guys, Shapeways has a new variation of the Mk 52 up for sale:

pic03.jpg.cce0bb4d0c3442ebf0a778e57f5b6538.jpg

Is this a legit Mk 52?  I have not seen the real version of this in any pics.

I’m wondering the same thing. It’s not a -52 with the finned rear end, too short for a MK60. MK-57?  Could it be a sub launched variant?  I never dropped one that that looked like that. 

I have 4 of these original MK-52’s purchased a few years ago, and they are really good looking. 

Cheers

Collin

Edited by Collin
3 minutes ago, Collin said:

I’m wondering the same thing. It’s not a -52 with the finned rear end, too short for a MK60. MK-57?  Could it be a sub launched variant?  I never dropped one that that looked like that. 

I have 4 of these original MK-52’s purchased a few years ago, and they are really good looking. 

Thanks.  Did you ever finish your original Mk-52's and mount them on an aircraft?  Are the real ones painted standard flat Olive Drab FS 34088 because I've seen some that are painted semi-gloss and a little more on the green side.

10 minutes ago, RichardL said:

Thanks.  Did you ever finish your original Mk-52's and mount them on an aircraft?  Are the real ones painted standard flat Olive Drab FS 34088 because I've seen some that are painted semi-gloss and a little more on the green side.

No, I planned to put the on a A-6A....one of my many projects I have yet to start. 

I was digging through my aftermarket stash yesterday, I still have all 4 in the bubble-wrap. 

Collin

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/15/2020 at 3:43 PM, Collin said:

Cheers

Collin

I bought 4 just like this, probably from the same maker. I wanted some Mk. 52s for my Operation Pocket Money A-6A and A-7E that I plan to build in 32nd scale. I paid through the nose for these mines and they showed up with the wrong tail end. I'm wondering if I can add fin's to mine, or maybe order some different ones with the correct tail end and just copy them? Fred K.

On 12/15/2020 at 4:18 PM, Finn said:

Excellent! Thanks so much for posting these Jari! Not only does it show great detail of the mines, but it also shows one of the Intruders involved in (I'm assuming, since there seems to be more than one jet "mined up") Operation Pocket Money, the mining of Haiphong Harbor in 1972. I plan on eventually building a 32nd scale A-6A and A-7E involved in the operation, but pics are mighty hard to come by. Thanks, Fred.

On 12/15/2020 at 4:18 PM, Finn said:

Does anyone have any idea what the BuNo of this jet is? The Intruder behind it is Roger Sheets jet with special markings and is pictured in the first link that Jari posted. This jet, like all of the others on this cruise, should have standard Bengals markings with Navy NL tail codes.

I know that NL/500 and NL/506 were involved in Pocket Money, but maybe this jet is a different one.

Thanks, Fred.

The mines shown above for sale have no fins, but you can still buy the square or “X” finned mines on Shapeway. 

I'm planning on the HobbyBoss 1/48 kit VA-145/502 for now (found and screen captured the newer scheme on this aircraft during this WESTPAC cruise).  Loadout 4 x MK52 mines from their 17 December mining of Haiphong Harbor (the last Navy mining mission with -52's).

Interesting thread from back in 2017:

Merry Christmas All

Cheers

Collin

9 hours ago, Finn said:

Fred it may be 506 in the link but several other A-6As took part in the operation as well:

cv4319720509MK52.jpg

Jari

Once again, excellent shots Jari! According to the Pocket Money brief that I have, there were three A-6A's and six A-7E's involved. The A-6A's were all from VMA-AW-224, while the A-7Es came from VA-22 and VA-94. Clearly A-6A 155708, as seen in the background of this pic, and also in one of the pics that you posted earlier, was one of the Intruders involved. AOA Decals did a wonderful sheet with marking for this jet. It was CDR Roger Sheets and Capt. Charlie Carr's jet. Carr was known as "Vulture", hence the "Patience My fool" vulture character on the tail. This was the only jet in the unit so marked. As for NL/506 and the third Intruder, I'm still trying to figure out BuNo's. Also for the A-7E's as well.

These pics that you've been supplying have been a great help! Thanks! Fred.

1 minute ago, f5guy said:

Carr was known as "Vulture", hence the "Patience My fool" vulture character on the tail.

Looks like the PC police got ahold of this post and changed things around a bit. "Patience My ummm... Rear End" 🙄 Fred.

6 hours ago, Collin said:

The mines shown above for sale have no fins, but you can still buy the square or “X” finned mines on Shapeway. 

I'm planning on the HobbyBoss 1/48 kit VA-145/502 for now (found and screen captured the newer scheme on this aircraft during this WESTPAC cruise).  Loadout 4 x MK52 mines from their 17 December mining of Haiphong Harbor (the last Navy mining mission with -52's).

Interesting thread from back in 2017:

Merry Christmas All

Cheers

Collin

Thanks Collin! I have already contacted the maker of the finned mines and asked him about a price for four in 32nd scale. The ones that I had previously bought were $30 each! I needed four, so that's a lot of cash! Thankfully I had sold a bunch of things on ebay that I did pretty well with, so it was essentially "free" money that I used to pay for them. Hopefully he comes up with a better price than $120! If nothing else, I may see if I can get him to make just the rear finned section, and just cut the rear off of the mines that I already have and glue the new "finned" section on. It may not be 100% accurate, but if it saves me $100, I'd be willing to fudge it a bit 😆

Thanks for the link to the LSP post too! Fred.

19 minutes ago, Dave Roof said:

Just an FYI for anyone interested. All of these mines are on the schedule for 2nd qtr of 2021 in our new ordnance line. 

Excellent news 👍  I'm definitely interested.  Out of a dozen or so aftermarket resin makers, one finally stepped up to the plate.

2 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

Just an FYI for anyone interested. All of these mines are on the schedule for 2nd qtr of 2021 in our new ordnance line. 

That is indeed excellent news Dave! I think I'll just wait for your mines to come out next year. Mines are one of those lines of ordnance that haven't been covered very well. Another group you might consider are some of the earlier threat emitter and chaff pods like those us during the 1980's. See pics..... Thanks, Fred.

alq-170.jpg

EA-7L w chaff.jpg

3 hours ago, f5guy said:

That is indeed excellent news Dave! I think I'll just wait for your mines to come out next year. Mines are one of those lines of ordnance that haven't been covered very well. Another group you might consider are some of the earlier threat emitter and chaff pods like those us during the 1980's. See pics..... Thanks, Fred.

alq-170.jpg

EA-7L w chaff.jpg

if that’s an AN/ALE-41 on that A-7, than Eduard just released one in 1/48

https://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/edu648601.htm

Edited by Corey
14 hours ago, Corey said:

if that’s an AN/ALE-41 on that A-7, than Eduard just released one in 1/48

https://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/edu648601.htm

It is an AN/ALE-41 on the TA-7C. I hadn't seen that Eduard released one, so thanks for the heads up Corey! I sure hope that they do one in 72nd as well. Fred.