1/72 Airfix BAe Hawk Mk.51 Finnish Air Force

This will be my next project. I'll start working with it as soon as possible, but first I'll try to achieve some progress on the big Tupolev.

I've done some preliminary research on the subject (at this stage only based on the book seen below). I do like the basic shapes of the kit although some panel lines obviously need a bit corrective action. More details will be added for sure too and here the Kuivalainen PE set will come in handy. I'm also quite keen on adding some stressed skin effect on the mid fuselage since it's so obvious on Hawks. In this scale it must be executed quite delicately though. 

Unless someone releases a sheet for the new "Suomi (aka Finland) 100" Midnight Hawks scheme, this will be with classic greens over grey camo. The new special livery looks like this, albeit in unfinished form. As far as I've understood, there will be a lion somewhere on the aircraft in the near future. https://airshowinfo.hu/airshowfeed/2017/05/03/midnight-hawks-special-livery/

temporary_34.jpg

Edited by janman
7 hours ago, janman said:

Unless someone releases a sheet for the new "Suomi (aka Finland) 100" Midnight Hawks scheme, this will be with classic greens over grey camo. The new special livery looks like this, albeit in unfinished form. As far as I've understood, there will be a lion somewhere on the aircraft in the near future. https://airshowinfo.hu/airshowfeed/2017/05/03/midnight-hawks-special-livery/

That's a very pretty scheme - let us wait until it takes its final form; and I will definitely consider it for a future decal sheet.

11 hours ago, KursadA said:

That's a very pretty scheme - let us wait until it takes its final form; and I will definitely consider it for a future decal sheet.

I was kinda expecting, or at least hoping for this. Great to hear someone might be jumping on the bandwagon! Since we are celebrating our 100 years of independence, I'll definitely get one.

On the ninth of June we will see the finished version:

http://ilmailumuseo.fi/en/kaivari/

Okay, I'm not quite sure what to do here. Surely the cockpit angles are way too different and thus (most probably) need fixing. Or at least this is what the PE set suggests. 

Has anyone done this? How does it actually affect the height of the seats and whether they still fit under the canopy etc.?

temporary_35.jpg

• 1 year later...

Now that the Backfire project is finished, it's time for the Hawk again. I've been working with this from time to time and now the fuselage and wings are together.

The fit has been surprisingly poor (okay this is an Airfix kit even though a pretty modern one...). I've used some plastic card on the wing seams, around the ventral fins/air brake area and on the belly where the front fuselage and the wings meet. Quite a lot of Mr. Surfacer as well on many places.

Some corrections were made on the surface detail and I'm also fixing the outlets behind the cockpit. The PE louvres are from the Kuivalainen set. The interior of the intakes has two nasty location pins that come through holes on the intake inner walls and can be seen from the side view. I'm dealing with them as we speak.

All in all, for such a small model, quite a lot of sanding and filling. I remember the Airfix Vampire being a much more straightforward kit in that respect.

ffMhyvp.jpg

TO49OLr.jpg

Edited by janman
  • 2 weeks later...

I've now restored and corrected the panel lines, added the most prominent fasteners and the very visible rivet lines on the aftbody.

The wing fences are pieces of PE and fit quite well. I've never used PE for fences before cause I've always thought they are a bit flimsy but now I was positively surprised.

welQhsN.jpg

Thise seats are finished too - apart from the top of the headrests. I had a pair of old and pretty crude Aeroclub white metal seats which needed *a lot* of cleaning. They benefited from some PE detail parts and work quite well now. They are too tall for the pit though. Some further fixing ahead.

maHq5Gs.jpg

Thanks, fellas!

It was obvious the MLG door that is hinged on the ventral fuselage just simply didn't look like the real thing. Here's a scratched prototype with a wash to accentuate the details and the original part. The finished part won't need any wash since the inner face of the door was kept quite clean and the wash here actually makes the round recess a bit too pronounced.

So, these doors are plain wrong on the kit ...but so are the ones attached on to the gear legs too. More scratch building ahead.

z08j3nr.jpg

I'm honoured if that's the case. 😀

On 11/5/2018 at 11:34 AM, Sebastijan said:

following closely - lots of useful info I'll be copying to mine.

Anyways, the Hawk is now primed. This is often a threshold of some sort for me since mixing the right shades of colours can be such a nightmare. Luckily there is still a lot of work with different detail parts so the final paint can wait.

EvgAwoV.jpg

The work with MLG doors continues. Here's a prototype for the part attached on the gear legs (obviously with the smaller part still missing). As you can guess, the part on the right is the kit part. Immediately discarded! 

XYF60Rw.jpg

20 hours ago, janman said:

Oh, may I ask what exactly? 

I've got a suggestion for the following paints, but they are, as you know it already, airbrush only. But they my give you some direction. I'll have to make a test if they're really suitable sometime in near future.

MRP-218 Dark Olive Drab 328 (Swedish paint standard)

MRP-228 Aircraft Grey-Green BS283 (British paint standard)

MRP-098 Light Gull Gray FS36440

Okay, so I was on the right track since after your input I immediately tried to find something from either Mr. Paint or, as a second choice, from Akan. Naturally, they don't provide anything for modern FinAF as such.

The greens might work and just come to think of it, so might the grey too. Only now did I realize the British 627 is (or is very close to) the US Navy Light Gull Grey!

I'll mix mine from Humbrols, White Ensigns and MMs.