Hi guys, its been a while since I've posted. I just wanted to let you all know what's going on with my company. We have ditched the subscription box idea, and have pivoted into a services based business model. 

We are pleased to offer custom model kit design services to the community. We have the capability to create custom kits of any subject or scale. The price depends on the amount of detail, and the size of the model, and the final material (Resin vs Injection molded), but we are willing to work with any budget. We've been having a lot of success with the model railroad, model ship, and Armor communities, but we have yet to break into model aircraft. We have created partnerships with various other vendors to provide custom photo etch, custom decals, custom mixed paints, and the best possible customer experience to create the kit you've been waiting for.

In addition to a free copy of the kit you commissioned at the end of the process, you also get the option to purchase any additional copies of your kit for just the price of materials.

Let me know if you have any questions. Please visit our site.

Edited by Orion Field

Not sure I understand what it is you guys are offering. Are you saying that if somebody wants a custom injection molded kit, you guys can actually accommodate that at a somewhat reasonable price? And then, I assume you guys retain rights to the molds, designs etc... so can sell copies to others directly? Or are you guys making products for others to sell as a business? In other words a wholesale supplier for other model companies? Just trying to wrap my head around what a potential customer would actually get and how it could be affordable.

Bill

2 hours ago, niart17 said:

Not sure I understand what it is you guys are offering. Are you saying that if somebody wants a custom injection molded kit, you guys can actually accommodate that at a somewhat reasonable price? And then, I assume you guys retain rights to the molds, designs etc... so can sell copies to others directly? Or are you guys making products for others to sell as a business? In other words a wholesale supplier for other model companies? Just trying to wrap my head around what a potential customer would actually get and how it could be affordable.

Bill

It really depends on how you define reasonable. We have an injection molding vendor that gives us a good deal, but those projects are usually have a starting price of $1400. We recommend that you those types of projects get a bit of crowd funding, and find at least 15 people who want that kit to pitch in $100 to be one of the first to get it, and we'll hook everyone up with the finished kit at the end of the process. We do most of our business with Resin, which is much more economical, as those projects start at only $100 for a full resin kit, or $40 for a conversion kit or detail parts. There are some variables, like size and scale, larger models will cost a bit more, but we can always negotiate the price to fit most budgets.

We do keep the rights to sell the model, to make back our end of the investment in development, but as the person commissioning the project, you get your first kit for free, and any additional copy for the price of materials, and on top of that, you get a 10% royalty form the sales. We would be willing to sell the rights of a kit to a commissioner, but that would cost significantly more than just a regular commission. 

We have a pricing guide on our website, if that helps too. 

Edited by Orion Field

Ahh I see. Ok so somewhat a little like Shapeways 3D printing in that the person starting the process can get a bit of cash for future sells except in this case that person isn't actually designing the kit per se but rather just supplying the plans and reference for you guys to design.. hmm..might be something there. I'd love to see one of the smaller injection projects to see how they turn out. Best of luck, it may turn out to be the future of modeling.

Bill

I'll let you guys know if someone commissions an injected project. So far, not yet. Been getting a lot of resin business though. Somebody just started negotiations with us for an 1/48 scale U-2C.

That resin conversion comment has the Hamster in my Head smoking the bearings on his wheel.

Would you be able to work with something that is already created?

46 minutes ago, Rex said:

That resin conversion comment has the Hamster in my Head smoking the bearings on his wheel.

Would you be able to work with something that is already created?

What did you have in mind?