CF-105 Mk.2 Arrow.

Built something easy for poops and giggles. Had a partially built Arrow. With a aftermarket cockpit. Only problems, no ejection seats or the clam shell canopies. Elmo was able to help with the canopies, THANKS!!!!

So I got to thinking.......All ready have a nicely built Mk.1. How about go forward to IF Canada HAD bought a few and put them in service.

In the stash I had some German Starfighter ejection seats I would never use. So in they went. Figure the time frame is close enough.

For the Iroquois engines. Have lots of Phantom spare parts. In go the after burner nozzles to give the appearance of more power. Might not be correct, but seeing as there never was an operational Mk.2 in flight photo......Who is to say I am completely wrong?

Paint, the Mk.2 did have drawings done for in service use. It was NOT white but overall natural metal. Guess that would save a couple hundred pounds of paint. I figure the Mk.2 would have to have leading edge de-icing systems like the Canuck received. So black paint. Makes the plane look Russian or at least a little sinister. Figure it would also need warning lights so I did those Phantom style. A couple of radio antenna. Then weapons. I like to think the internal weapons bay might have been converted into a fuel tank to increase range. Therefore the weapons would be carried semi recessed. Like the Sparrows on a Phantom or Tomcat. As the Arrow was built to intercept Russian bombers I figure Nuclear Genie rockets as used on the Voodoo would be correct for the 1965 time range I did the model in. Then a couple of Velvet Glove Sparrows for smaller targets. Last an external gun. Just for fun.

More paint then the markings. I like the RCAF plus three markings of the sixties. Squadron. Three (or was it four?) Squadrons of CF-100 Canuck Mk.4 where sent to Europe to replace a equal number of Sabre squadrons. They were disbanded. I feel IF the Arrow HAD happened Avro would have made some serious money. Other countries might have bought it, providing the government with lots of money in tax and other coin. Therefore perhaps we would not have shrunk from the fourth largest air force in 1959, to a force 1/3 the size come 1969. And smaller still today. One of the disbanded Sabre squadrons 413, might have come home and reformed on the new interceptor. So a nabbed the markings from a Leading Edge sheet and went with it.

Now, this is FAR from a show winner. Not meant to be. Just a sanity builds. I wanted something easy I could crack out in a couple days. And it shows.

DSC_0507.jpg

DSC_0508_1.jpg

DSC_0510.jpg

DSC_0506.jpg

Looks interesting....For future consideration a guy in our club in 1/72 grafted a F-15 cockpit and canopy onto an Arrow and added canards. Called it a CF 105EH...

Funniest part was some guy at a contest arguing that he had used the wrong shade of grey for the overall grey paint scheme with low viz CDN markings.......

Edited by RCAFFAN