shake and bake for a returning noob

Getting back into modeling, after a number of years off.

I will be building modern jets once I get my Ventilation squared away in my basement.  

However, I would like to build a few modern armor kits in the mean time.  painting using rattle cans in my garage.

Are there any modern armor kits, that have the reputation like the Tamiya f-14 and f-16c, where they are highly accurate, and easy to build?

welcome back ....Tamiya is always the right choice. As for modern their Leopard 2A5/6 are really nice kits. Also the Abrams though it may not be as accurate as some would like.but for my eye it looks like an Abrams..They also have a French LeClerc anf the T-55 . I have built them all and they pretty much fall together..Really any kit by Tamiya is a pure joy to build...Happy Modeling

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

ok, so I was able to "score" the academy m1a2 for a nice price (under $30.00 US shipped).  After nearly 20 hours of construction, I am getting ready to paint!

I am intrigued by the quickwheels masks.  BUT unfortunately, they do not seem to make a set for the Academy kit.  However, they do make them for nearly every other m1a2 kit.  Quickwheels has a mask set for rye fields, tamiya, and meng.   Would anyone have experience or take a venture which of those three mask sets would be the best fit for the academy road wheels?

Why not painting them by hand? just paint the center of the wheel in camo, them attach it with the center opening to a stick (blutack or something alike) and turn it slowly around. with the other hand you can hold the brush and with some dilluted paint (mostly I use vallejo rubber black with a bit black added, it dries fast, you can paint layer after layer) follow the borders to the rim, then paint the rest of the rubber wheel. Doesn't fill your need to try the mask's but in my opinion, 1 such mask is pretty expensive to use it mostly on one model...

Wheel masks are actually easy to make with a circle cutter. The key will be to get one that will cut a small enough circle. You could make annular masks to cover the tire or a disk to cover just the wheel.

Another possibility is a drafting circle template. Spray the whole wheel assembly the rubber color, hold the template atop the wheel assembly so only the wheel itself is uncovered, and then spray the wheel color. You need to watch out for the adjacent circles with a template. Google for "spray wheels circle template" and you'll see explanations.