Testors products being discontinued?

I truly hope this is inaccurate information (fake news, if you will), but, I was at the LHS today and was told that the Testors product line (ie: paints, glues, etc.) was being shut down and that once stock in the warehouse was gone, that's it.

Has anyone else heard of anything like this from their local shops?

Colin

My guess would be that is what is happening. Due to the simple fact that Rust-Oleum Group owns Testors and they have had a track record of buying out other companies and slowly killing them, using them as a tax liability. They did it with a few of the older spray paint companies that used to be around in the 60's and 70's. I think all of us modelers should start bombarding Rust-Oleum Group with e-mails, Facebook and any other social media that they have to try and get them to leave testors paints and accessories alone.

I sent them an email asking if it's true or not. I have a feeling they will not tell the truth!

Edited by tosouthern66
27 minutes ago, Spectre711 said:

That really stinks Cause I've been using their MM enamels since they came out and took a hit when they downsized their product line.  Who gets rid of FS 36622 anyways?

Rust-Oleum Group does

4 hours ago, fulcrum1 said:

This topic seems to come up every once in awhile. I have no clue, but Hobby Lobby and my LHS seems to always have their stuff.

The Hobby Lobbys have a horrible selection considering what was available from Testors.  Closest local hobby shop is a little over an hour away now so that's not too local.

1 hour ago, Spectre711 said:

The Hobby Lobbys have a horrible selection considering what was available from Testors.  Closest local hobby shop is a little over an hour away now so that's not too local.

Lucky! The closest hobby store to me is a minimum 5 hour, 450km. ( 300+ miles ) drive south.

Chris

I hope this isn't true, but I can see them discontinuing the enamel products.  I imagine the acrylic range is far more popular than enamels just due to the smell, and as a parent I would rather have my kids use water based paint over enamel.   

3 hours ago, Spectre711 said:

Then buy the stuff from spruebrothers, scalehobbyist, or Hobby Town.....what's your point?

22 minutes ago, fulcrum1 said:

Then buy the stuff from spruebrothers, scalehobbyist, or Hobby Town.....what's your point?

The point is that Hobby Lobby doesn't have a selection and there is no LHS.  It's only mail order for me and unfortunately I like the MM enamel paints.

Edited by Spectre711
33 minutes ago, nspreitler said:

I hope this isn't true, but I can see them discontinuing the enamel products.  I imagine the acrylic range is far more popular than enamels just due to the smell, and as a parent I would rather have my kids use water based paint over enamel.   

Solvent-based paints do appear to be increasingly difficult to obtain, with surface-only transport, toxicity, labeling, and air quality concerns likely being key drivers. Staff at the LHS suggested distributor practices are also an issue, but that would apply to all paints. My LHS has not consistently restocked MM enamels or Mr Color lacquers for years now.

In any event, I've taken to increasing my Mr Color stock when I can because of the difficulty getting common colors. While I love Mr Color and Alclad, I'll probably need to cast about for alternatives in the future...

13 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Solvent-based paints do appear to be increasingly difficult to obtain, with surface-only transport, toxicity, labeling, and air quality concerns likely being key drivers. Staff at the LHS suggested distributor practices are also an issue, but that would apply to all paints. My LHS has not consistently restocked MM enamels or Mr Color lacquers for years now.

In any event, I've taken to increasing my Mr Color stock when I can because of the difficulty getting common colors. While I love Mr Color and Alclad, I'll probably need to cast about for alternatives in the future...

Mr Color and Alclad are available, I tend to buy paint from Hobbyworld USA.   I just got 15 bottles of Mr Paint yesterday.    Not being able to get it locally is frustrating though especially if you just need one or two bottles and don't want to pay 6 or 7 dollars for shipping.   I haven't found a water based acrylic that sprays as well as solvent based paints, so I am moving away from Vallejo and MM acrylics for airbrushing.   

I sure hope this isn't true because I only hand brush my models and strictly use MM or Humbrol enamels. If this is in fact true and the MM line is discontinued are there any other enamel brands or acrylics that are widely available which also carry a wide variety of colours that hand brush well? I would prefer to not have to mix colours too often. 

Edited by cf18hornet

I was going to email Testors although their contact link forces you to put an address in and it must be a US address. Great customer service - NOT.

To think they were based in Canada at one time.

I contacted Rust-Oleum, who make Model Master, and this is their response: 

Hello Larry, 
Thank you for contacting Rust-Oleum Product Support. 
The 9580D International Military & Figure Enamel was recently discontinued due to the lack of support for it in the marketplace, however the Model Master paint line as a whole is still available: 
http://www.testors.com/product-catalog/testors-brands/model-master 
If you have any additional questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact us. 
Sincerely, 
Jason K. 
Rust-Oleum Product Support 

Larry
2 hours ago, ReccePhreak said:

I contacted Rust-Oleum, who make Model Master, and this is their response: 

Hello Larry, 
Thank you for contacting Rust-Oleum Product Support. 
The 9580D International Military & Figure Enamel was recently discontinued due to the lack of support for it in the marketplace, however the Model Master paint line as a whole is still available: 
http://www.testors.com/product-catalog/testors-brands/model-master 
If you have any additional questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact us. 
Sincerely, 
Jason K. 
Rust-Oleum Product Support 

Larry

Quoted before this gets deleted.