Testors products being discontinued?

I contacted Testors thru their Facebook page, their reply to me,

" Thank you for reaching out Steve. Due to the lack of support for them in the marketplace, our International Military and Figure Enamels in the Model Master line were discontinued. All of the other Model Master lines are still available."

Steve

6 hours ago, picknpluck said:

Man, this may be the impetus I need to begin the switch over to Mr. Paint.

Do it, you won't regret it.   I was initially turned off by the price, at $7.00 a bottle it is a major investment.  Now that I've used them I won't go back, and I've used very little paint to cover a model.   I used maybe 1/10th of a bottle of Olive Drab painting a 1/48 P-47 over a black primer. 

6 hours ago, picknpluck said:

Man, this may be the impetus I need to begin the switch over to Mr. Paint.

That's what I don't understand about RPM's decision. It makes MM enamels a much narrower line, inviting people to make a complete switch.

17 hours ago, dnl42 said:

That's what I don't understand about RPM's decision. It makes MM enamels a much narrower line, inviting people to make a complete switch.

Their "Bean-Counters" don't care, because they have no clue about the hobby.

Just my 2¢.

Larry

#BOYCOTTRUSTOLEUM

Edited by ReccePhreak
2 hours ago, cf18hornet said:

Can Mr. paint be hand brushed?

In addition to being too thin it is also too "hot" to brush.  I tried to touch up a small area of paint with a brush and the MRP ate through the paint that was on the model. 

Wow, that would seem to be the whole Model Master II line.  I only use the FS colors, but it seems to be a really nice line of international colors which is a shame to lose. If they are going exclusively to American FS colors, it would be nice if they moved some of these FS color to the original lineup (not all, as some are so obscure I'm surprised they made them in the first place).

6 hours ago, Camus272 said:

Wow, that would seem to be the whole Model Master II line.  I only use the FS colors, but it seems to be a really nice line of international colors which is a shame to lose. If they are going exclusively to American FS colors, it would be nice if they moved some of these FS color to the original lineup (not all, as some are so obscure I'm surprised they made them in the first place).

I wouldn't be surprised if they delete the FS colors in the future, and eventually drop the ENTIRE Model Master line, just like they did with Pactra paints. :angry:

8 minutes ago, Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy said:

I've been using MM enamels almost exclusively since the mid 1980's. Obviously I didn't buy/build enough. Now, just try convincing my ex of that....

One of the guys in our Model Club has about 1500 MM bottles so he certainly did his part. I called the other day and gave him the news...dead silence. I think he blacked out for a moment..after he came back on the phone he was in disbelief. I know for him this is as bad as the discontinuation of Floquil. So tomorrow we are going to take the 125 mile round trip to the LHS so he can raid the remaining stock...:rolleyes:

Just got this today.

"

Hi Ed,

Thank you for contacting Rust-Oleum Product Support. We appreciate your use of our Model Master line!

We are sorry for the disappointment this has caused you. The International Military & Figure Enamels were discontinued due to the lack of support for them in the marketplace. Our other Model Master lines are still available.

We’ll be sure to forward your comments along internally and we greatly value your feedback.

If you have any additional questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards,

Katy"

35 minutes ago, B.Sin said:

All of the modern Russian colors of going to be cancelled too?

The Russian colours were actually dropped several years ago. I was very disappointed when they were. If you still have access to them you are lucky.

13 minutes ago, Spectre711 said:

Just got this today.

"

Hi Ed,

Thank you for contacting Rust-Oleum Product Support. We appreciate your use of our Model Master line!

We are sorry for the disappointment this has caused you. The International Military & Figure Enamels were discontinued due to the lack of support for them in the marketplace. Our other Model Master lines are still available.

We’ll be sure to forward your comments along internally and we greatly value your feedback.

If you have any additional questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards,

Katy"

I dispute they didn't sell well, distribution was a problem. They should look at that system. Hi 

18 hours ago, ReccePhreak said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they delete the FS colors in the future, and eventually drop the ENTIRE Model Master line, just like they did with Pactra paints. :angry:

Model Master is their line though. I can kind of see the business rationale of buying up competitor's product lines and then replacing them, but there is no sense in deleting their own brand.  Getting rid of popular military colors would only mean we would be forced to use other brands.  What I don't understand is why they can't just make batches of one color on demand as it is ordered from distributors.  I guess I'll just buy up what I can find of MM II based on what I think I'll need, and stock up ahead on MM I colors in case things go from bad to worse.

I can't decide if Rustoleum et. al. is making a rational disinvestment here.  On the one hand, ours is now a decidedly wonk hobby in North America, and lots of us buy competitor products from overseas that are affordably priced and excellent quality.  In this view, Rustoleum is tired of losing money to cater to a handful of hobbyists.  

On the other hand, Testors might have done more to market the plastic model hobby, and specifically update it's image.  For example, compare their YouTube channel to that of Vallejo.  This is part of bigger set of thoughts I've had over the past several years, that the remaining U.S. manufacturers, Testors and Revell, have just failed to re-image the hobby through marketing, to sell to younger adults.  (I think trying to sell to kids is a waste of time.)  They seemed to discover social media only belatedly, and still have a weak presence there in many respects.  Independent YouTube builders seem loyal to other brands, so much so that I suspect those brands have given them stuff to work with.   

At some point, I suspect plastic models--probably science fiction, anime, or fantasy--will suddenly be rediscovered and "cool" again, which will also bring military and car modeling back to some prominence, too.  But in North America, the hobby was built on baby-boomers, and I fear they'll take our manufacturers with them when they depart.  Meanwhile in Asia, and Central and Eastern Europe, they seem to be building a sustainable business future for plastic modeling, and will be prepared for a resurgence.   

Edited by Fishwelding
On 6/7/2017 at 0:13 PM, breadneck said:

So what does all this mean? Can i still get their metalizers ???

Yes, they are still selling their Metalizer lacquers in 1/2 oz. bottles and the 3 oz. sprays.

Steve