MiG I-320 - New 1/72 scale Soviet jet from Modesvit

Look what the postman just delivered - the latest in Modelsvit's coverage of the MiG family - the I-320 all-weather fighter...

Box art....

Photo_01.jpg

Is it ugly or what ??

The instruction sheet gives a short potted history plus colour matches to Humbrol paints...

Photo_02.jpg

Colour painting guide - for the third prototype...(note the very welcome paint masks for the complicated canopy framework)

Photo_03.jpg

Another page from the instruction booklet showing the well-detailed VK-1 engine, the multi-part ejection seats and the cockpit/intake assembly.

Photo_04.jpg

The two-part fuselage with separate starboard fin...

Photo_05.jpg

Wings, tailplanes and slipper tanks....

Photo_06.jpg

Ken

Edited by Flankerman
Spelling

More...

Cockpit parts (lower) with intake and jetpipes (upper).....

Photo_07.jpg

Undercarriage parts - note the very fine detail on the wheel hubs and doors...

Photo_08.jpg

Parts for the VK-1 jet engine...

Photo_09.jpg

One-piece clear canopy, canopy masks and decal sheet.....

Photo_10.jpg

This is another excellent kit from Ukrainian manufacturer Modelsvit - they get better with each new release and cover those esoteric subjects other manufacturers don't touch.

Although it is a 'limited run' kit, the surface detail is superb with fine engraved detail and well defined parts - the cockpit and engine are works of art on their own!

I can't wait to get started.

Ken

I've made a start ..... on the VK-1 jet engine.....

First of all you assemble the engine jetpipe - from SEVEN parts...

Photo_11.jpg

Then the centrifugal-flow jet engine is constructed - made up from six parts (the assembled jetpipe is on the right).

Photo_12.jpg

This is what you end up with.....

Photo_13.jpg

... which looks much better with a coat of primer...

Photo_14.jpg

The Modelsvit VK-1 would make a nice model in its own right - maybe with a display stand?

Ken

I've made a mistake with the VK-1 engine..... :doh::doh:

What I thought was flash on the joint between the front and rear of the annular flame cans is actually a prominent flang!!!!

I mistakenly sanded it off - so I have had to restore it on all the cans.....

Photo_16.jpg

This photos shows the flanges well:- http://www.aircraftengine.cz/Koblenz/slides/Klimov VK-1 (2).jpg

Meantime I'm about to start assembling the cockpit and intake trunking......

Photo_15.jpg

Ken

A bit more progress........

Each of the jetpipes is assembled from two halves - with the seams sanded down they look good......note the detailed shock-cone inside the rear, longer, jetpipe....

Photo_17.jpg

There are only two engines! - the short one plugs into the one on the left, the middle one attaches to the detailed VK-1 front engine.

The exquisitly detailed ejection seats are each made up from FIVE parts - and they stunning examples of Modelsvits increasingly improving moulding.

Photo_18.jpg

The cockpit is also very detailed (note the twin throttle levers on the centre console).

I have painted it as per Modelsvit's instructions. Still to be added are the rudder pedals, control columns and seats...

Photo_19.jpg

I'm becoming more impressed with this kit as I build it, not only for the detailed parts, but the quality of the moulding is more delicate - and (I have just noticed) they now have the part numbers moulded on the sprues !!

More later.

Ken

Despite all my best efforts to ruin it, plus my cack-handedness, the VK-1 jet engine has turned out OK - luckily it can't be seen inside the finished fuselage, unless you look closely up the intake......

Photo_21.jpg

With a little bit more care than I have given it - plus some superdetailing and a display stand - it could be made into a nice little model in its own right...

Photo_20.jpg

It could also double as a Rolls Royce Nene.

Ken

A little more progress......

Nosewheel undercarriage bay and front VK-1 jet engine fitted inside the intake sidewalls - it's a tight fit! .....

Photo_22.jpg

The air for the front engine passes either side of the front undercarriage bay -
the air for the rear engine passes between the intake walls and outer skin, by-passing the cockpit tub.

Photo_23.jpg

Top view of the assembled cockpit tub, sidewalls, undercarriage bay and jet engine (hidden underneath the top fairing).... 

Photo_24.jpg

From front to rear - intake/cockpit assembly, upper rear cockpit decking, front engine 'pen nib' fairing, rear engine jetpipe, rear pen nib fairing.
The yellow tape is covering a couple of pieces of lead weight.
The two fuselage halves only just join - after a lot of 'fettling of the front assembly - scraping plastic away/sanding etc.

Photo_25.jpg

Ken

In case anyone is still interested???

Fuselage halves glued together, starboard fin half and nose intake ring added.....

Photo_26.jpg

A first primer coat releveals a prominent join line along the top and bottom fuselage halves which must be eliminated.

The main wheel wells are 'boxed in' with four well-detailed parts........

Photo_27.jpg

With the wings and tailplanes attached, another primer coats reveals those joints that need filling/sanding/priming etc...

Photo_28.jpg

The underside - note the ventral exhaust for the front VK-1 jet engine.....

Photo_29.jpg

Ken

I made a bit of a boo-boo with the wings :doh::doh:

After attaching them to the fuselage and once the glue had set, I discovered that they displayed a slight dihedral - not much but enough for you guys to spot!!!

There is no indication in Modelsvit's instructions, but the wings should have 1.5 deg anhedral (reduced from -3 deg on the first prototype when the third wing fence was added).

I ummed and aaahed - but in the end I couldn't live with the obvious mistake, so I took the drastic action of sawing through the upper wing joint and carefully bending the wings downwards :woot.gif:

I inserted plastic card shims into the resulting gaps to set the negative dihedral and filled the joint with glue - and then filler.

Once sanded smooth again - I am much happier with the results.........

Photo_31.jpg

The separate outer wings fences are added (the first prototype only had two per wing) - as are the slipper tanks and nose radome (filled with lead shot as per Modelsvit's instructions).

The cockpit detail is superb - as are the two ejection seats - I really haven't done it justice...

Photo_32.jpg

Once the one-piece canopy is attached, it will be ready for a first coat of flat aluminium......

Photo_33.jpg

Ken

More progress (if anyone is still interested??)......

Modelsvit provide a set of self-adhesive masks for the cockpit canopy, gun blast areas, wheel hubs, aerials etc - and very useful they are, given the complex shape of the canopy frame....:woot.gif:

They are translucent rather than the thick white vinyl of previous kits - this makes them easier to apply (I think? - I'm still not sure).

Whatever, they went on beautifully and did a superb job...

Photo_34.jpg

The nose radome and intake ring were masked using Tamiya tape and a coat of Halfords 'Aluminium' sprayed on from a rattle can.

Photo_35.jpg

I use rattle cans a lot - the purists might wince - but I think it looks OK.... I masked off a few panels and buffed them up to add a bit of contrast.

Photo_36.jpg

The decals are applied (just 4 red stars - on the fin and wing undersides)... followed by a mist coat of Games Workshop 'Purity Seal' (Satin varnish) - after which the masking was removed...

Photo_37.jpg

The canopy had been dipped in Future - and despite all my best efforts to mess it up, it has turned out to be fantastic!

Photo_38.jpg

This is a great kit of an unusual subject and has to be the best yet from Modelsvit :worship::worship:

The cockpit interior is very comprehensive, the canopy is crystal clear and the canopy masking makes painting the framework a doddle - even I couldn't get it wrong.

Photo_39.jpg

Photo_40.jpg

I just need to add the undercarriage, airbrakes, jetpipes and a few aerials etc...... but I am chuffed to bits with it so far.

Ken

• 3 months later...
On 6/27/2017 at 3:17 AM, mario krijan said:

Ken, yes, we are interested!! great work!!!

Yes, I'm interested also!! I'm late to the party - excellent build, as usual for you. I have to be more vigilant ... so have checked your profile box that says "Follow Member".

Gene K

Edited by Gene K