UH-1Hs by Dan McClinton of B Company 4-228th AVN. Shot in El Salvador between JAN 91 and FEB 92

I know I should probably put these in the Nothin but Hueys thread but I think the deserve their own thread here.  John, you should really enjoy these!  Dan McClinton was kind enough to share them with us on the UH-1 Facebook page so I thought I'd share them here.  As the title says all are B Company 4-228th AVN from 91 and 92.  These are by far the best ALQ-144 Huey photos I have ever seen.  Thanks, Dan!

Ray

Image may contain: outdoor and nature

No automatic alt text available.

Image may contain: 1 person, sky, car, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: sky, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: sky, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: airplane and outdoor

Image may contain: one or more people, people standing, sky, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: sky, bird, tree and outdoor

Image may contain: one or more people and outdoor

Image may contain: one or more people and outdoor

Image may contain: sky and outdoor

Image may contain: sky, tree, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: sky, tree, shoes, cloud, grass and outdoor

Image may contain: one or more people, sky, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: sky, airplane and outdoor

Edited by rotorwash

The best U.S. Army Hueys ive ever seen. The ALQ-144 gives them a unique look. This will be definitly a must to build a model, but the problem is the jammer, since Fireball doesnt make it anymore, will be hard to find one.

Great shots. Thank Dan and Ray!

Rod.

Wow, thanks so much for posting these Ray.   This will be my priority to build once we get the 35th KH kit.   Couple of things I noted, looks like they are sporting actual APR-39 antennas on the nose, don't see too many of those.  Also, check out the flight line pic, most of the Hueys have a silver rotor shaft.   I thought they were all painted black.  Will add a nice bit of color. Also like the nose art on a couple of those birds.   Would be great to eventually get some decals for these.

Thanks again for posting! 

Interesting pics of the crewmembers as well.  Looks like they have a mix of Vietnam era survival vests and some more modern stuff.   Also wearing chicken plates in that last picture.   Need Norbert to get us some appropriate resin figures!

4/228 had a hard bit of luck during the time these pics were taken.   Had a bird shot down in January (tail number unknown, if anyone has it, please provide), pilot was killed in the crash, the other two crewmembers survived, only to be executed by the FMLN guerrilas.  A month later, another UH-1H (68-15383) went down into a lake shortly after take-off due to T/R failure, all 5 crew were killed. 

Edited by 11bee
1 hour ago, 11bee said:

Interesting pics of the crewmembers as well.  Looks like they have a mix of Vietnam era survival vests and some more modern stuff.   Also wearing chicken plates in that last picture.   Need Norbert to get us some appropriate resin figures!

4/228 had a hard bit of luck during the time these pics were taken.   Had a bird shot down in January (tail number unknown, if anyone has it, please provide), pilot was killed in the crash, the other two crewmembers survived, only to be executed by the FMLN guerrilas.  A month later, another UH-1H (68-15383) went down into a lake shortly after take-off due to T/R failure, all 5 crew were killed. 

We still had some guys wearing the Vietnam style vests in 2003.  Not sure how that happened, but it did..lol.  Hope to see some resin and decals for some of these.  

Thanks very much for posting these images Ray - great stuff!

Any chance of some cockpit and/or higher resolution 'ARNOLD' nose art photos?

Would you expect the cockpit and IP to be pretty much standard configuration with the addition of a slim panel (similar to the one in the image attached) installed on the pedestal console for the ALQ-144?

gage195.jpg

Edited by RGS
51 minutes ago, DonSS3 said:

What's the "plate" forward of the lower ALQ-144? I don't think I've ever seen that.

Do you mean the heat shield for the oil cooler? Part of the ASE (Ray's photos):

oil%20cooler%20heat%20shield-1_zpstffurdoil%20cooler%20heat%20shield-2_zpstkptbq

Edited by RGS
9 hours ago, RGS said:

Would you expect the cockpit and IP to be pretty much standard configuration with the addition of a slim panel (similar to the one in the to image attached) installed on the pedestal console for the ALQ-144?

gage195.jpg

I can't answer the other questions but here is a much better shot of the "Arnold" nose art from Dan.

Ray

Image may contain: outdoor

10 hours ago, RGS said:

Would you expect the cockpit and IP to be pretty much standard configuration with the addition of a slim panel (similar to the one in the image attached) installed on the pedestal console for the ALQ-144?

gage195.jpg

That is the switch that we used...I'll be dmned if I remember where it was on the center console though as I've slept since then.

30 minutes ago, Dangerpig13 said:

That is the switch that we used...I'll be dmned if I remember where it was on the center console though as I've slept since then.

Is that a pic from a Huey or a Cobra?   

Regardless, aside from this panel, the only other semi-non-standard bits I would think present would be controls for the HF radio and a functional APR-39.   Did Army helos have any basic GPS gear in this time frame?  I know the helos in this picture don't have the GPS antenna on the wire cutter, not sure if they might have something more basic installed? 

On 6/3/2017 at 3:59 PM, 11bee said:

We were using Navy survival vests when I got there.  Because we were doing some over-water flight we were able to get the Navy vest which had integrated water wings.  The crew chiefs and door gunners wore chicken plates.  Most of the pilots didn't or just slid a loose plate inside the vest.

8 minutes ago, Dangerpig13 said:

We were using Navy survival vests when I got there.  Because we were doing some over-water flight we were able to get the Navy vest which had integrated water wings.  The crew chiefs and door gunners wore chicken plates.  Most of the pilots didn't or just slid a loose plate inside the vest.

Were you assigned to this unit when that helo was shot down in January, 91?  Once we get a new 35th scale model, I was thicking about building it as a memorial to that crew.   If you have any info on the subject, please feel free to share it.  

2 hours ago, rotorwash said:

I can't answer the other questions but here is a much better shot of the "Arnold" nose art from Dan.

Ray

Image may contain: outdoor

Perfect, thanks!

52 minutes ago, Dangerpig13 said:

No GPS.  APR-39 was the standard control panel.

I don't recall taking photos of the instrument panel, but I will look and see what I've got.

Thanks a lot for all the info. Would be very interested to see any interior shots if you have them - fingers crossed.