UH-1Hs by Dan McClinton of B Company 4-228th AVN. Shot in El Salvador between JAN 91 and FEB 92

1 hour ago, huey_crew_chief said:

Ray, please got one of Dan's acft on the decal sheet.  

I think if we can get full markings for one, Floyd would be happy to include it.  It is Floyd's sheet though and it would definitely be after this initial Vietnam release.  We are very fortunate to have Dan here to answer all the burning questions you guys have had about these aircraft for a while now though.  Welcome to ARC, Dan!

Ray

On 6/7/2017 at 9:29 PM, salvador001 said:

I would like to see some of Dan´s Hueys in the decal sheet, but please make an ALQ-144, and all the ASE gear.

Rod.

Shouldn't be too hard to do a decal sheet. Used Dan's original image, realigned, adjusted for angle, and feathered slightly at .01. No anti-aliasing applied which is why it's crisp. A little more time and I'd bring out the yellow and soften the edges. The original for 'Arnold' and 'Dangerpig' look to have been done in chalk.

35162956246_36769a2f91_b.jpg35037988282_192782939b_b.jpg

Wonder how those nosearts would look with some rain. Dont think they could stand it if they were made with chalks.

Again they would looks great on a decal sheet.

Rod.

Edited by salvador001
3 hours ago, snake36bravo said:

Shouldn't be too hard to do a decal sheet. Used Dan's original image, realigned, adjusted for angle, and feathered slightly at .01. No anti-aliasing applied which is why it's crisp. A little more time and I'd bring out the yellow and soften the edges. The original for 'Arnold' and 'Dangerpig' look to have been done in chalk.

35162956246_36769a2f91_b.jpg35037988282_192782939b_b.jpg

You are correct, Lloyd.  Dan said he made them with chalk.  Nice work, by the way.

Ray

Any idea why the ALQs were mounted on the bottom of the tail boom instead of on top the engine housing like Marine birds? I know Marine birds are N and have a flat top but from the pics the mounting adapter is just a flat plate with 4 legs so theoretically it would also work on top.

Just curious since the only hueys I've seen are the local birds which were never ASE equipped, even when they deployed for their only ever trip down range(East Timor).

6 hours ago, torchf4 said:

Any idea why the ALQs were mounted on the bottom of the tail boom instead of on top the engine housing like Marine birds? I know Marine birds are N and have a flat top but from the pics the mounting adapter is just a flat plate with 4 legs so theoretically it would also work on top.

Just curious since the only hueys I've seen are the local birds which were never ASE equipped, even when they deployed for their only ever trip down range(East Timor).

I always thought it made more sense.   The threat is coming from below, so put the device below.   A few other helos had this configuration as well.    

Out of curiosity, anyone know if these were the only US Army Huey's with -144's installed?  

14 minutes ago, salvador001 said:

U.S. Army and El Salvador Hueys were the only ones that had ALQ-144 installed as i recall, could be wrong but there is photographic evicence for those two.

Rod. 

These was a couple test aircraft that had the cobra type exhaust with the ALQ installed on the top.  

On 6/3/2017 at 9:58 AM, 11bee said:

Wow, thanks so much for posting these Ray.   This will be my priority to build once we get the 35th KH kit.   Couple of things I noted, looks like they are sporting actual APR-39 antennas on the nose, don't see too many of those.  Also, check out the flight line pic, most of the Hueys have a silver rotor shaft.   I thought they were all painted black.  Will add a nice bit of color. Also like the nose art on a couple of those birds.   Would be great to eventually get some decals for these.

Thanks again for posting! 

I also noticed a grey STAB BAR in the mix! Mess with some judges heads with that too!

• 1 year later...