F-4 B Phantom 152217 - Vietnam time frame

Hi All,

I am starting to get references for one of my next builds.

At this stage, I am going to be using Hasegawa's 1/72 F-B/N that contains the decals for VMFA-115, which is showing the MSN 152217, and a/c number 10. A quick search on the interwebs shows photos of it when it was in service with VMFA-321 & 531 as a B and later when it was modified to a N model.

Does anyone have photos of this bird when it was in service with VMFA-115 or could this be a error on the hasegawa deacals?

TIA.

Brendon 

No pics but if you don't mind doing a bit of reading, here are the records of VMFA during it's time in Vietnam:

http://www.recordsofwar.com/vietnam/usmc/VMFA-115.htm

you may find the a/c number in there somewhere or at least some other useful info among the many pages. Just select a date and then click the pdf icon to open the file up.

edit found this at the Forgotten Jets site:

F4H-1 (F-4B-21-MC) b/n 152217

*1965: VMFA-251. 
*1965: VF-21 as xx-102. 
*6/17/1965: Shot down a MiG-17 over North Vietnam. 
*VMFA-531 as EC-07. 
*1974: VMFA-115 as VE-10. 
*Upgraded to F-4N. 
*VMFA-531 as EC-01. 
*1982: VMFA-531 as EC-06. 
*12/22/1982: Struck off charge. 
*Sent to be a target on the Superior Valley Range, CA. 

Jari

Edited by Finn

Those Vietnam records probably won't be of much help for that specific scheme you're asking about. The 1974 date listed on the forgotten jets site is probably accurate.

I imagine you have the Sundowners cover art boxing of the kit, if so, that specific VMFA-115 scheme in that boxing would appear to be circa 1974 period. While it's similar to their late war all white tail scheme like they had at the Rose Garden in Thailand, I've not seen any from there that had the black canopy rail/lines that were common following that period (and as shown in the kit).

Just a guess, but Hasegawa probably had pics of it in/out of Iwakuni/Kadena or somewhere in Japan and maybe published in Japanese books like the Famous Aircraft of the World series that often have contemporary pics like that of aircraft in Japan.

Edited by ziggyfoos

31 minutes ago, ziggyfoos said:

Speaking of Japan, just found this, from http://contrailahoya.sakura.ne.jp/newcontrail/photocollection/marines/red&white/ve&wt.htm

Atsugi 1974?:

f4bvmfa115ve10.jpg

Cool :thumbsup:... I'm surprised that even when I googled VMFA-115  for photos,this one didn't show up:angry:..  

Thanks heaps 

Brendon