Accurate Miniatures 1/48 P-51

Just coming back to the hobby and want to replicate my Dad's helicopter he flew in Vietnam.  I started that model, but quickly realized I needed to work on my skills before I tackle that bird.  So I picked up this kit on E-bay and have been working in it over the last few weeks, here and there.  Here are a couple pics of the cockpit so far.  This was my first time weathering a cockpit to this extent.  I know I did a lot, but I have always been fascinated with a well-used aircraft.  With that being said, please critique away.  The interior green was not exactly right, but I mixed some Tamiya paints to try to replicate FS34227.  I really don't think FS34151 was correct for the early model P-51's.  At least from what I gathered from various sources on the internet.  I have since assembled the fuselage, wings, horizontal stabilizers and nose, but realize I have a lot of work to do on the joint lines and edges.  

No automatic alt text available. No automatic alt text available.

No automatic alt text available. No automatic alt text available.

No automatic alt text available.

Please excuse my photography skills.  I used a phone camera to take these and I don't know too much about photography.  

• 4 weeks later...

A few shots of my latest effort.  Primed with Mr. Surfacer 1500 black, then painted with Tamiya paints.  Attempted marbling an initial coat, then overspraying with a highly thinned top coat.  Added a couple drops of white to paint the rudder, as it was fabric and would weather a little different.  Next step is applying the decals and weathering.  Again, critiques are welcome.  My puttying efforts leave a lot to be desired and I will need to do better next time.  Got a little impatient with wanting to put some paint down and did not take the time to get it right.  I guess I thought the paint would cover some of it up.  Lesson learned.  Thanks for looking.

27 minutes ago, Snowbird3a said:

Remember landing gear doors will be locked 'up' on Allison Mustangs.  Nice work so far.

cheers, Tony

Thanks Tony!  I had planned to do that, but am unsure at what position.  I know they had some kind of locking/latching mechanism, but does that keep them fully closed or do they bleed down and slowly open as the pressure bleeds off?     

My first attempt at oil-dot weathering.  Ummm, I think I overdid it.   This aircraft was in Tunisia during the war, but I am not sure it was this dirty.  Does anyone have any advice on how to remove some of this without a total repaint, especially since the decals are already on.  I am also gonna pose this question in the tips section.  Thanks for any advice you can provide.