Bandai 1:72 Millenium Falcon

whilst I am not really that into the Falcon, I can appreciate a good kit when I see one. I like that it comes with lighting - something which Bandai are quite into (I have their SBY 2202 Andromeda that came with full lighting). I wonder how much it'll cost when it gets released! The Andromeda was $160AU shipped and that's only 1/1000- I would dread to think how much 1/72 will be - given that the Revell "master" series version (ex Fine Molds) is still nearly $400AU

7 hours ago, B.Sin said:

What I don't like is that it looks to be  pre-painted possibly snap together.   What fun is that?

I am not sure what makes you think it's pre-painted? If it is, it's a bloody good job done by Bandai (and something Revell should take note of - have you seen any of their "pre-painted" kits ??? not pretty) - which looking at those pictures would also include battle damage. I don't think it's pre-painted at all. None of their other releases have been so why would they start with something as hugely anticipated as this kit?

As for "snap" construction - they are usually very well engineered so that they don't require glue but you can still add it if you so wish. I had to use glue etc on all of their SBY kits despite them being snap-like fits. It doesn't make them a toy - just better engineered than some other makers

I know a lot of people who will be happy to hear of this new release. Shame I am not one of them. Come on Bandai - bring out a decent scale Capital ship!! Am I the only one who wants a decent scaled Super Star Destroyer or an injection molded MC-80 "Home One"? I know it'll never happen but still - dreams are free but resin is not

Though, i'm not a big fan of the Millenium Falcon, this model has potential to look amazing.  I built the 1:144 kit and it looked alright.

However, there are still other craft that I would prefer over the Falcon.  A 1:72 kit of the Imperial Shuttle, B-Wing, Tie Bomber ... and I'm all happy :)

On 6/5/2017 at 8:34 PM, Benner said:

Though, i'm not a big fan of the Millenium Falcon, this model has potential to look amazing.  I built the 1:144 kit and it looked alright.

However, there are still other craft that I would prefer over the Falcon.  A 1:72 kit of the Imperial Shuttle, B-Wing, Tie Bomber ... and I'm all happy :)

Want these too.  In time I think they will happen bty Bandai but knowing them the Imperial Shuttle will be 1/144.

6 hours ago, GMK said:

Episode 4 version, too. If it had the five landing gear sets, I'd be on board. 

I like both versions, happy to have the 3-gear origional version released first. 

I like the more saucer shaped profile of the 3 gear.

• 2 months later...

here's a lot of close up pics of this upcoming release. You can really see the details here and the effort Bandai have gone to.

You can also play "spot the donor part"!

http://wivern.exblog.jp/27092610/

the figures are astounding - they really look like the characters. I'm not to interested in the MF but damn - they've outdone themselves this time

Edited by The Madhatter
  • 3 months later...

Yep, do recognize some parts. I'm pretty sure that one is a Matilda engine deck. Not sure by who since it has been a decade since I've done 1/72 and 1/76 armor b0029315_00074696.jpg 

Thinking there is good reason this thing is the price it is. I'd like to be able to buy just the clear parts. And the etched parts. And the decals. And the figures maybe too.

That interior shot of lower aft hull - that is full of shapes which would make it a usable structure miniature by itself.

It's the 1/35 Tamiya Matilda.

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=!AC6ntlvZAW1tZiM&cid=220A17AB9B2F4507&id=220A17AB9B2F4507!764&parId=220A17AB9B2F4507!733&o=OneUp

From https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=!AC6ntlvZAW1tZiM&id=220A17AB9B2F4507!733&cid=220A17AB9B2F4507

The models have been very thoroughly documented, and pretty much all the scavenged components identified.  Interesting side note, this is partly why some long-since-OOP kits have skyrocketed in price - SW fanatics who want to build their own studio-scale replicas from *actual* components are willing to pay outrageous sums to get the few parts they need.