1/48 hasegawa F-16 ADF

Comparing the Revell ADF kit to the original "A" release, they removed the inaccurate wing drop tanks and modded that part of the tree to include AIM-7s and decent 501 pylons, at least when compared to a couple of pics in Jake's Early Viper book. Also included is a much improved ACES II seat, improved AIM-9s, an accurate centerline tank, and an ACMI pod.  The tree with the ADF tail parts also includes the larger Block 15 stabs (original kit had the small Block 1/5/10 stabs) and parts for a GE nozzle - not for the ADF obviously but for the "C" version of the kit.

5 hours ago, bdt13 said:

Not to hijack, but do any of these kits/conversions have the special Sparrow pylons? This is a critical part to giving the ADF the BVR missile capability that made it an advance over the vanilla A/B models they were based on (until AIM-120 came along). Darren, I see this in your build - is it in the Revell kit?

I know I used the ones out of the Revell kit, so if they are correct (I'm not that knowledgeable on the F-16), they are in there.

3 hours ago, habu2 said:

I believe Taiwan's Block 20 F-16A/B was the only non-ADF production (vs test) Viper to also use the AIM-7.

I have seen photos of Singapore Block 52s carrying the AIM-7 on its associated pylon during air shows. Not sure if it was used operationally though. 

F-16C_RSAF608.jpg

Mark

501 pyons and AIM-7 have been exported to many allied nations like Egypt and Singapore and a number of others. Mainly due to this being a BVR substitute good enough yet avoiding the high-end AIM-120 sales. 

I never knew Revell released a ADF variant of the F-16. Interesting. I'm assuming there were a good amount of decals released for the ADF variant. Was it only ANG units who flew them for the U.S.?

Thanks!

Edited by Shawn C.

There were a number of ADFs that were sold/leased years later to other operators, Portugal and Italy spring to mind.

Italy leased them to bridge the gap between the retirement of the F-104 and the arrival of the Eurofighter in strength.

After a quick look on F-16.net, apparently Thailand and Jordan have some as well.

Cheers,

Hoops

On 6/12/2017 at 0:15 AM, Niels said:

501 pyons and AIM-7 have been exported to many allied nations like Egypt and Singapore and a number of others. Mainly due to this being a BVR substitute good enough yet avoiding the high-end AIM-120 sales. 

Thanks, did not know that.

AIM-7 capability was more than pylons and missiles, it also required changes to the FCC and radar, as the AIM-7 requires CW (Continuous Wave) mode for guidance.

Portugal's Vipers are not the ADF version, although they have the bulge on the tail. They are in fact F-16A/B block 15 OCU, later updated to full MLU standard but with different HF radios warranting the bulge on the tailbase. 

The whole concept of the ADF programe was to make the F-16A/B Viper into an Air Defence Fighter for the US ANG, able to carry and launch the AIM-7 with necessary hardware and software updates. The program started ~1987ish and was completed by ~1993. By then a lot of F-16C/D models became available rendering the earlier A/B ADF models surplus, and most were eventually sent to AMARC. 

Many of these have since been leased to Italy or sold to Jordan who later gave their ADF's to Pakistan, Thailand etc. 

Source: www.F-16.net, best online source for Viper details of all kinds :)  

http://www.f-16.net/f-16_versions_article14.html

http://www.f-16.net/f-16_users_article16.html