Not sure if this has been asked before, but has there ever been any VX-4 F-4 Phantom decals done for the line birds or non-black,white bunny aircraft?  My dad was part of VX-4 in the early sixties when they had F-4Bs.  Would love to build him one some day.  Thought about making my own if I had too.  Any body got any good pics?

Thanks in advance,

Brent

Microscale made sheet 48-974 . It has options for the Black Bunny and the white bunny.  It is discontinued so you will need to look for it on ebay, or at model shows.  I also found a review on Modelingmadness of a sheet from detail & scale from 1984 with the white bunny as an option.

Our very own phantom built one in a GB in the past few years, but I can not recall which GB it was, so hopefully he sees this thread and can tell us which decals he used.  Good luck in your hunt.

Edited by Kurt H.

For the "non-black, non-white bunny", there is an option.

It takes a bit of scrounging, and maybe some Tomcat decals to do it, though.

The F-4B would be the easiest. Just find a decal sheet with "Black Bunny" F-4J on it, and take the "star stripe" decals out of that. If your's has the full set of stripes, you might have to hunt down a Tomcat sheet for the extra stripes. This works because Black Bunny used the same "Star Stripe" markings as the line birds did.

The Light Gull Gray and White paint is easy, of course,,,,,,,,,,but, I don't know of an easy source for the exact XF tail codes in Black, and the BuNo could be pieced together from your Phantom spares.

(I said the F-4B is easiest because they had multiple versions of the F-4J airframe, and that opens a can of worms to do "this J from this version, and that J from that version", depending on the BuNo involved)

Edited by Rex

ahh, good idea,,,,,,,,I wonder if I have any Skyhawk decal sheets laying around here?

I am building one of the "lead nosed" F-4J very early BuNo birds that is shown in formation with a later F-4J. That is why my ideas were "right on the tip of my fingers" for helping with this F-4B project.

Great example model, Darren.

Fightertown has a sheet of VX-4 jets including the F-18E, -14, and F-4J. The F-4 has Black Bunnies and a white or very light gray one as well.  Yellowhammer did a -J as well.  I believe that Furball may be doing a future sheet, but others may know more.  

Edited by swimmer25k

the fightertown  XF decal is WHITE! ...nowhere near what Darren have used... (Black with some right offset white)...or you are not referring to the same decal set than i do?(48068)

Edited by mingwin

Thank you everyone for the replies.  

@Darren Roberts that is an awesome looking phantom.  That would be similar to what I would want to build, only a F-4B.  

55 minutes ago, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

Sheet 48068 is white. I'm talking about a new sheet that has XF #5 on it. I've posted artwork previously but don't have it handy. 

thanks Brian, I'll be on the look out.  If I remember correctly aren't you including the VX-23 maryland scheme on that sheet too?  I just finished Revell's offering and they messed up some of the decals for that aircraft.  

Here are some pics I found of the F-4B in the VX-4 scheme, this is what I would like to build eventually.  

Pics are from Vpnavy.com 

oniSVu7.jpg

trei0p3.jpg

This one would make an interesting model with the parachute out.  

fn8dUvP.jpg

E8ZBlwX.jpg

Gotta love the T-33 and F-8 versions too! 

3NINMjN.jpg

rAueL1n.jpg