A-6A VMA(AW)-224 1972 on Coral Sea

22 hours ago, ziggyfoos said:

Here's some pics from the cruise book.

503 with the off-white/tan nose like it had earlier, like it looked like in the pic Finn posted earlier on the deck (excuse the dog fur on the scan):

224-503a.jpg

Here it is showing the USMC emblem present:

224-503b.jpg

And here's one of 504. It looks to me like you can just barely make out that there is possibly what looks like a lower remnant of the emblem and a faint full circle leaving a dirty ghost image of where the sticker once was:

224-504.jpg

224-504a.jpg

thank you for these nice pics. From which book are they extracted? could I buy one somewhere?

do you know the names of the pilot and the BN who used the NL-503 when the nose was fully tan? maybe schulyer/Ferracane also?

I am thinking about going for this bird and explain how it died in the article, and update the canopy with the right names seen at that time.

many thanks again for your help.

cu,

Manu.

Edited by coxadicted
27 minutes ago, coxadicted said:

thank you for this nice pics. From which book are they extracted? could I buy one somewhere?

do you know the names of the pilot and the BN who used the NL-503 when the nose was fully tan? maybe schulyer/Ferracane also?

They're from the ship's cruise book (Coral Sea WESTPAC 1971-72). Only place to buy it would be from someone selling their copy (like ebay, yard sales, etc)

No idea on the names of 503 from earlier part of the cruise, the names may have been the same as what it carried as seen in that camo nose pic (the Dave Williams one).

The names painted on it didn't mean anyway that that were the only assigned people to fly that jet (or even that that pilot and b/n would always fly together), anyone could've been assigned to fly in any jet depending on crew assignment and aircraft availability.

Hi Ziggyfoos,

Thanks again for your great support.

Do you know if Cdr Roger Sheets used the A-6A 155708 to mine the Haiphong harbor? (one of the 3 A-6A of the vma(aw)-224 used)

I mean this aircraft with the nice CAG scheme of the AOA decal sheet.

If yes would you have more picture of this aircraft? I can’t find any on the net.

Is it stupid to imagine that this aircraft (with this deco) could have also used some cluster bombs during 1971/72 cruise?

Thanks.

Cu,

Manu.

I'm not sure if it was the actual one Sheets/Carr were flying for that specific flight. (that CAG 500 is the one you linked to earlier on your June 7 post)

I imagine all of their A-6A's each would've had a load of rockeyes at some point during the cruise.

1 hour ago, Dave Roof said:

Went through all of his photos and no joy on 507. Several of 503 though and a couple of really good shots of 500 and 501.

Hi Dave,

I just sent you a message.

there is a photo of the NL-507 and NL-504 on the Flying Leathernecks Facebook page here (you might already know them)

https://www.facebook.com/Flying-Leathernecks-Decals-137660979588449/

cu,

Manu.

Edited by coxadicted
34 minutes ago, coxadicted said:

Hi Dave,

I just sent you a message.

there is a photo of the NL-507 and NL-504 on the Flying Leathernecks Facebook page here (you might already know them)

https://www.facebook.com/Flying-Leathernecks-Decals-137660979588449/

cu,

Manu.

That is the only photo I have of 507 and it was sent to me by the Naval Museum in Pensacola. Same with the photo of 504.

I don't recall seeing that pic of the left side of 503. Makes sense that the name is of Major Robert L. Gondek since he was 224's maintenance officer so his name would be on 503 (like the CAG's name was on 500, CO was 501, XO was 502).

Looks like it is "Bob" Gondek but maybe it's "Rob"? I can't make out what looks like a LCPL plane captain name under it.

Hi Ziggyfoos,

I am in contact with Ben Moody who sent me some very nice pictures and a scan of his mission logbook where the BuNo and NL numbers are recorded for each A-6 he used.

the name of the pilot of each mission is also recorded.

your expectation about the BuNo of the NL-507 is the right one: 155656, we miss only the name of the pilot written on it now.

see you,

Manu.

still hesitating between NL-503/506/504. but as I still miss détails for the 503/506 I am going closer to the NL-504 (for which I don't have to search for any pic detail as you already provided what I need in the AOA decal sheet). the idea now is to build a second A-6 the NL-500 on the same diorama (i really love the Vulture on its tail :-) ). I will simply explain some 1971/72 missions of the VMA(AW)-224 in first part of the article.