12 minutes ago, huey_crew_chief said:

The large one is just detachable soundproofing section.  The smaller three would be soundproofing cut outs for some attachment points on the hellhole wall.    

I don't see any framing like that in the pics I've seen (including the ones above).  At most, it looks like the fabric panels just unsnap.  Are there variations on these?

47 minutes ago, 11bee said:

I'd still love to see someone offer up "quiltless" walls in resin.  A good number of Vietnam helos (and some more recent ones) had the soundproofing removed.  

You should be able to do that using sheet styrene and the kit parts as a pattern. 

1 hour ago, Brad-M said:

Hey Floyd, So did you need to drill new holes for the swashplate/actuator arms, ir do the arms just sit flush onto the plate?

Thanks

Brad 

I didn't drill those holes.  Which may be why my swashplate 'floats' on them.  Not sure.  That is why I'm building it.

Floyd

Not much today photography wise.  Cleaned up some parts and got most of the fuselage together.  The very accurate B pillars fit perfectly.  Decided to close up the co-plot door so you have to remove the tab on it.  Not a big deal.  The pilot door will be opened to show the fire extinquisher.  By the way, did I mention that door piece has the latching mechanism on the outside.  Amazing.  That has never been available before in kit or aftermarket form.  Just some of the little things that are part of the kit.  All the interior parts were primed with Alclad Grey Primer.  Then pre-shaded with Tamiya NATO Black and painted with Tamiya Light Grey on the floor.  The weathering will darken it up some.  The soundproofing was sprayed with Gunze FS34321. 

I'm trying to figure out how to do the yellow around the door.  I've seen no less than five different versions. 

End of day 2.  Tomorrow detail painting and start weathering the interior.

IMG_2315_zpswhwnugdb.jpg

58 minutes ago, 11bee said:

Anyone got pics that show those quilts with raised framing shown on the kit parts?  

The raised area is supposed to represent the Velcro that is also present.  It may be a bit exaggerated, but is not really incorrect.  You can see the raised area on the removable piece below in the same position.

35554d1447530559-advice-shooting-helicop

20 hours ago, 11bee said:

What are those thick rectangular frames on the sides of the transmission housing walls?  I'd still love to see someone offer up "quiltless" walls in resin.  A good number of Vietnam helos (and some more recent ones) had the soundproofing removed.  Really like the fact that you can configure all the seats to your hearts content.   Very cool!

IMG_2305%20-%20Copy_zpstjz8v98h.jpg

Some sheet styrene using the bulkhead and transmission housing as a template with a scribe tool outta give you what you're after. You'd have to rework the overhead too. Would be great for a soundproof free Nighthawk build like '437' from the Razorbacks gunship platoon that operated out of Naval Support Base Nha Be, RVN. Nighthawk is in order for this kit which is my plan for one of them once both orders arrive. They even give you the .50 and M134 minigun in this kit! It was meant to be.

18428428431_a5a733f6d7_b.jpg

34816202130_f541dba2ef_b.jpg

Edited by snake36bravo

OK most of the clean up is done.  Now it was time to do so painting.  The instrument panel for a Vietnam era Huey is grey not black so I couldn't use the decal that came with the kit.  Well not all of it anyway.  I painted the instrument panel and individually punched out Reheat Instrument decals for the bigger instruments and the kit ones for the engine instruments running down the middle.  This is just the mid stage.  I still have to flat it and add the Micro Krystal Klear to the lenses. 

IMG_2330_zpsile3x15p.jpg

IMG_2331_zpshq4ea6mj.jpg

The doors were given the warning areas.

IMG_2337_zpsxea2gseq.jpg

IMG_2336_zpsvagmuz71.jpg

The seats were painted up and added and Ray tells me that they are Olive Drab.  I have pictures of them in grey and OD but OD definitely looks to be the 'normal' Vietnam color so I'll be repainting them tomorrow, hopefully.  The seats are not attached permanently and just sitting in the mounts so I can see what they looked like.  The same goes for the center console.

IMG_2334_zpsvchdevuv.jpg

IMG_2335_zpsxyxjc4zz.jpg

And that is about where I am today.  Repainting the front seat armor portions and painting the back seats is next.  Then I think I can pull it all together.

Floyd

5 hours ago, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

OK most of the clean up is done.  Now it was time to do so painting.  The instrument panel for a Vietnam era Huey is grey not black so I couldn't use the decal that came with the kit.  Well not all of it anyway.  I painted the instrument panel and individually punched out Reheat Instrument decals for the bigger instruments and the kit ones for the engine instruments running down the middle.  This is just the mid stage.  I still have to flat it and add the Micro Krystal Klear to the lenses. 

IMG_2330_zpsile3x15p.jpg

IMG_2331_zpshq4ea6mj.jpg

The doors were given the warning areas.

IMG_2337_zpsxea2gseq.jpg

IMG_2336_zpsvagmuz71.jpg

The seats were painted up and added and Ray tells me that they are Olive Drab.  I have pictures of them in grey and OD but OD definitely looks to be the 'normal' Vietnam color so I'll be repainting them tomorrow, hopefully.  The seats are not attached permanently and just sitting in the mounts so I can see what they looked like.  The same goes for the center console.

IMG_2334_zpsvchdevuv.jpg

IMG_2335_zpsxyxjc4zz.jpg

And that is about where I am today.  Repainting the front seat armor portions and painting the back seats is next.  Then I think I can pull it all together.

Floyd

Floyd, is that how the center console comes in the kit?  With all the knobs and such?  If so, that is amazing detail, especially in 1/48.  The center console on my Revell 1/32 does not have that much detail.  The more I watch of this build, the more excited I am getting about receiving this kit.

3 hours ago, JesusNut said:

Floyd, is that how the center console comes in the kit?  With all the knobs and such?  If so, that is amazing detail, especially in 1/48.  The center console on my Revell 1/32 does not have that much detail.  The more I watch of this build, the more excited I am getting about receiving this kit.

I've done nothing to this except paint.

Floyd

8 minutes ago, huey_crew_chief said:

Two questions, Does heheat still make those decals and what ship are you doing?

I don't know about Reheat.  I got mine at a show.  I do know that airscale out of England makes something similiar

I'm thinking the Good Widow Mrs. Jones is calling me.  I was going to do Little Annie Fannie but since that was done on KH website let's see something else.

Floyd

4 hours ago, rotorwash said:

Some of you may notice that the map case is built into the center console.  Another first in plastic.

Ray

That is awesome! No more dealing with styrene for that map holder! :) 

1 hour ago, CharlieUH-1H said:

That is awesome! No more dealing with styrene for that map holder! :) 

Yeah, those three pieces of plastic always drove me crazy. 

Good news about Eduard stepping up.   Be interesting to see what they offer.   I'm only seeing a need for better belts to replace the crude KH ones and an IP.    Maybe see if they can do better cowl screens but the kit ones look pretty decent already.  

Nothing on Sunday.  Spent it with the family.  Today I made some headway.  The Instrument panel was completed and attached.  The fire extinguisher was added before I lost it.  The weathering of the interior took place too.  First was a wash of burnt umber artist oils over the flat paint.  Then some chipping with a worn brush and a sponge for wear.  The Vietnam dirt was added next with Mig Pigments.  The seats were hit with some Mig Pigments green for variety in the 'fabric'. 

Floyd

Instrument panel completed.

IMG_2351_zpsjtrrbakm.jpg

Instrument panel and center console added permanently.

IMG_2353_zpsjkbi2ppu.jpg

Interior weathered.

IMG_2352_zpsqrn6ksr5.jpg

Just some of the seat belt bending going on.  This isn't even half of them.  The tough thing is to get them to look like fabric bends.

IMG_2354_zpspl5v6fzw.jpg