Twelve hour shifts and grandkids visiting don't leave a lot of time for modeling right now.  Sorry it is taking me so long to do this build.  I was hoping to be done by now with the build at least.

There are a lot of seatbelts in the Huey. I do not like the KH seatbelts. Hopefully Eduard will do a good job on theirs.

The front seat shoulder harness are too long. I cut them as shown which should be perfect. The front seats also lack the seatbelts. I can use masking tape to represent the seatbelts.
IMG_2370_zpsr9wzzgel.jpg

The back seat ones are not as good as they could be. They are okay but lack some detail. I'll represent the missing detail with masking tape.
Folding the rear seatbelts so they looked realistic was challenging. These are still in progress. They were bent and primed. I used Gunze light grey for color. I'll paint the buckles silver later.
IMG_2354_zpspl5v6fzw.jpg

Painting in progress.  Painted with a very light grey from Gunze.  Can't remember what right now.  I'll add a 'leather' portion with masking tape to the one side.
IMG_2371_zpswkdumizw.jpg

Floyd

My current situation is to work on the seatbelts and get them installed so I can finish up the interior and get this baby put together.   

After making the whole thing, I changed my mind on the seatbelts.  They look pretty good. I wanted to add some 'leather' under the buckle like the real thing. 

IMG_2377_zpsut6nvwrm.jpg

This is the first rearward facing seat.

IMG_2380_zpsljbhumrz.jpg

The front seatbelts still need to be installed but the shoulder harness modification worked out pretty well. 

IMG_2387_zpsnccoof9g.jpg

The seatbelts still need to be weathered but they look pretty good now.

IMG_2386_zpstvvwrh4h.jpg

IMG_2385_zps79zadcf5.jpg

IMG_2384_zps7lms62gk.jpg

IMG_2382_zpsnxhd7bt3.jpg

Edited by Floyd S. Werner, Jr.
10 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Floyd, please 'splain how you did those belts!:worship:

I start by trying to figure out where they are gonna go because it matters what the orientation of the 'ring' on the end is.  Some require the ring to be straight and some are not.  Then I hold that ring with a pair of tweezers and then just use my fingers and pointed tweezers to manipulate the belt.  Then some I scrunch up and others are straighter.  The scrunched up ones are then flattened slightly with the tweezers.  Then it is just a matter of priming and painting.  I used Alclad primer and Gunze light grey.  I made the leather portion of the buckle out of masking tape cut to shape.  Then it is just a matter of supergluing  them in place.  Touch up any chips.  I paint the buckles with Citadel Chain Mail.  Then flat them and the seats.  I weather them with a wash of burnt umber artist oils and then flat again.  Done.

The pilot seat lapbelts are just masking tape and paint.  Then weathered like the others.

Floyd

Tonight I made monumental progress and got the fuselage halves joined.  The engine assembly was finished off.  This and the cockpit were added and the whole assembly was glued and clamped for the night.  The fit is superb throughout.  I'm really impressed with how good it is looking.  Clean up should be minimal on the seams, except where I got a little carried away on the driveshaft cover. 

So this is how I painted my yellow around the windows.  The numbers are the part numbers.  One thing on the windows, there is one corner that is squared off.  That is a mistake and it is simply a matter of hitting the corner with a sanding stick and literally 10 seconds later its done.  I don't know why this happened and neither does KH.  It is a very simple fix.

IMG_2398_zpslzsbtgnw.jpg

and installed

IMG_2399_zpstsv0nk9i.jpg

The cockpit and engine assemblies installed and waiting to join the fuselage halves.  Don't forget the exhaust.

IMG_2401_zpscga9crio.jpg

IMG_2400_zpsyv9g8i4r.jpg

And now the whole thing brought together.  It looks bad with all the clamps on it but the fit is superb, except where I got carried away with a sanding stick on the driveshaft cover.  Totally my fault.  The clamps will hold it together overnight and ensure everything is tight.

IMG_2402_zpsr2rzuqex.jpg

It should go pretty quick from here on out.  Hopefully tomorrow I'll clean up the seams.  Then we'll see how the nose and the canopy fit.

Floyd

Edited by Floyd S. Werner, Jr.

On the cabin doors, what is suppose to be there and what is ejector pin marks? I think the bottom and the side ovals are intended and the two above the windows are pin marks. 

8 hours ago, huey_crew_chief said:

Any guidance on where the piece with the missing tabs should actually be placed? 

What I did was align it up with the engine once it was installed then levelled it.  The positioning looked correct to me.  We'll see how well it works.

Floyd

1 hour ago, Tank said:

On the cabin doors, what is suppose to be there and what is ejector pin marks? I think the bottom and the side ovals are intended and the two above the windows are pin marks. 

You tell me.   Also note the 'ejector pin' marks on the rear bulkhead that are supposed to be there, plus two more.  An ejector pin mark is typically a round depression where the sprue was pushed out of the mold.  Mold marks, pin marks.  What is the difference.  LOL
Floyd

UH-1V%2069-15271%20cabin%2024_zpsq3ksqwg

Wow, that build looks awesome Floyd. And this is in 1/48 scale!!!

I'd love to see your magic on a 1/35 scale Huey! 

It's really, really looking good. Where did you get those clamps from? I'd love to grab a bunch myself.

Tim

Man, that is a freaking awesome cabin, the weathering is perfect, what did u use for it?? 

Cant wait to see the finished product, cant wait to start mine LOL. I just hope that this model can sell well so we can have the 1/35 version, thats the one i want most.

Rod.