Kitty Hawk F6U Pirate

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the announced Kitty Hawk F6U Pirate.The Pirate is an interesting subject. Like most everyone here, I'd have preferred they do an F11F, F-86H, or fix the F2H-2, but I'll still probably have to pick one of these up. 

Tommy has some notes on the National Naval Aviation Museum's Pirate (LINK). Care to bet the new kit will have the same non-original items as the museum piece? 

It looks like Kitty Hawk is going through the Collect Aire catalog, so maybe there's hope for a 1/48 F-107 and FH-1.

Ben

Edited by Ben Brown
45 minutes ago, Ben Brown said:

It looks like Kitty Hawk is going through the Collect Aire catalog, so maybe there's hope for a 1/48 F-107 and FH-1.

Being as astute as you are, Ben, I'm surprised it has taken you so long to surmise that. :wave:

Would be interesting to see how many CA kits they've amassed ... and how they evaluated those kits considering that the quality and accuracy varied so much.

Gene K

I always thought the Pirate was an interesting aircraft. I got to take these back in 2014. Had to take the trolley to the back lot at the Naval Aviation Museum to get them. 53A1679D-AD37-4D19-84D2-0A9FD47BCFF5_zps

559B7B5E-9610-4C61-9BA8-CD8770B01F48_zps

4 hours ago, Ben Brown said:

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the announced Kitty Hawk F6U Pirate.The Pirate is an interesting subject. Like most everyone here, I'd have preferred they do an F11F, F-86H, or fix the F2H-2, but I'll still probably have to pick one of these up. 

Tommy has some notes on the National Naval Aviation Museum's Pirate (LINK). Care to bet the new kit will have the same non-original items as the museum piece? 

Ben

Kitty Hawk has been provided with very good drawings, illustrations, and photos of the production F6U and is aware of the inaccuracies in the Pensacola F6U.

I'm currently on a 50's jets kick (nostalgic for all the color I guess) but the Pirate has no attraction at all. A 1/48 Tiger would seem to be a far better seller for Kitty Hawk as well as a good product line fit. That Tiger with the yellow lightning bolt has a spot reserved on my shelf for sure.

9 hours ago, Dmanton300 said:

Wasn't the Tiger 1/32nd though? I htink ditching that was a wise move, but it would be worth it in 1/48th. 

Ooh, drat. You're right. Forgot that.:doh:

And agree with your second point. A 1/48 F11F would probably be a way better seller than the Pirate. Thinking about it, even the 1/32 Tiger would probably sell better than the Pirate.

Edited by ChernayaAkula
1 minute ago, HomeBe said:

And once upon a time (December 17th, 2015) they even announced a 1/48th Vought F7U-3/3M Cutlass kit as nearly ready: "Molding almost complete"...

Source: https://www.facebook.com/736521713066784/photos/a.736556396396649.1073741827.736521713066784/1032316320153987/?type=3&theater

V.P.

And the coming soon 1/35th AH-6J  Little-bird and UH-1 Huey.  

2 hours ago, 11bee said:

Seriously...,    How many people world wide woke up today and thought "Gee, I'd really love to build a model of an F6U"?

Ha! I'd love to build one, but I could say the same for many other more main stream releases...

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 4:18 PM, HomeBe said:

And once upon a time (December 17th, 2015) they even announced a 1/48th Vought F7U-3/3M Cutlass kit as nearly ready: "Molding almost complete"...

Source: https://www.facebook.com/736521713066784/photos/a.736556396396649.1073741827.736521713066784/1032316320153987/?type=3&theater

V.P.

I well remember that on FB. I have a feeling that they may have screwed the pooch on the molds for that kit. I'm only guessing that, especially since KH has a fairly aggressive release schedule when they announce something. If I remember correctly they also posted a drawing of a Cutlass that was not correct and Tommy Thomason mentioned the drawing was not very accurate. After that...crickets.

I heard the major reason for the delay on the late Banshee was because after reviewing the molds they decided they needed to "rework" them. After the debacle of the F3H-2 Banshee it seems KH wasn't willing to take a chance with what they had.   

Edited by jpk
On 6/11/2017 at 2:30 PM, 11bee said:

Seriously...,    How many people world wide woke up today and thought "Gee, I'd really love to build a model of an F6U"?

Actually, I did. I'm a huge fan of those early U.S. jets and, to be honest, I'm greatly relieved we're not getting yet another Messerspitstang.  Those subjects bore me to tears.  It's about time we're getting something like the Vought Pirate in the one true scale:  1/48.

Eric

On 6/17/2017 at 11:30 AM, Timvkampen said:

I would hope the Streak and Thunderflash in 1.32 will get their priority as I do not see this one selling a lot...even though it is an usual plane.

Ditto that Tim.