Nice A-10 weathering reference

Clearly over-weathered on the fuselage, while leaving the wings and vertical tails relatively clean, and the panel line wash is way too pronounced. Probably an inaccurate weapons load too.  IPMS judges would butcher this one. 

Aaron 

On 6/11/2017 at 10:58 AM, avnav said:

On 6/13/2017 at 2:06 PM, Piker38 said:

Is it advisable to use a painting as a reference for modelling ?

Are you saying that is a painting? vs a photograph ?

The image appears on Air Force Magazine's website and the photo is credited to SSgt. Michael Battles

http://www.airforcemag.com/DRArchive/Pages/2017/June 2017/June 08 2017/Attack-of-the-Warthog.aspx

An Air Force A-10 flies in an undisclosed location after receiving fuel from a KC-10 Extender while supporting Operation Inherent Resolve, May 31, 2017. The A-10’s combat radius and short takeoff and landing capability permit operations in and out of locations near front lines. (Air Force photo by SSgt. Michael Battles.)

I think this a/c was freshly painted and sent into action before it could have unit markings applied. The paint itself appears very fresh; the weathering is mostly gun soot, I suppose. There is some weathering on the rudder that could be fluid leakage - is this a spot where gun gasses could get to?

Given the "undisclosed location" comment, the squadron markings may have been digitally removed to not reveal the squadron.

bdt13's fresh paint comment makes sense but I did not know they had paint shops in theater.

25 minutes ago, habu2 said:

Given the "undisclosed location" comment, the squadron markings may have been digitally removed to not reveal the squadron.

Nah, the DM jets are in a state of flux with jets moving from one squadron to another.  The jet just hasn't gotten its Bulldogs markings yet.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not going to argue that it's not a genuine photograph, but it struck me as very like an illustration, maybe using a photo as a reference ?

Either way, the weathering would still look great on a model.

Wow really nice shots. I really miss the Lizard scheme as to me that was what a Warthog was all about. I think it looks meaner but then I don't make the paint scheme decisions for the USAF :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...