I caught my five year-old son flying my Dinky (?) Space 1999 Eagles around our house today and thought that building a model for his birthday would be fun.  (I build mostly 1/48 jets.)

Early searches show that there is a bunch of stuff available to build an Eagle. I think the big MPC kit is the way to go.  

Can any any of you help me put together a "shopping list" of kits, detail sets, and decals, so I can start putting this project together?

Thanks,

Chris

The MPC 22 inch Eagle is about all you'll need to build a nice accurate Eagle.  

Round 2 does make some aluminum parts to bring it to another level like the studio models.  However the Eagle kit alone can be built very well on it's own if you don't want to spend the extra money.

SPACE 1999 EAGLE TRANSPORTER SMALL METAL PARTS PACK 1:48 SCALE

http://www.autoworldstore.com/product_p/mka016.htm

SPACE 1999 EAGLE TRANSPORTER DELUXE ACCESSORY PACK 1:48 SCALE

http://www.autoworldstore.com/product_p/mka014.htm

I am currently working on the 22" Eagle off and on and I agree, the kit itself is really all you need to get a pretty darn accurate Eagle. The way they designed the engine bells, there's really no need to buy the milled aluminum ones unless you really feel uncomfortable painting metal tones and have cash burning a hole in your wallet. There are no seam lines on the plastic ones though so they can be painted up to look really good. If you're going the route of detailing it there is a transport pod interior set available here ( I think it's still for sale) http://www.centurycastings.co.uk/148-eagle-interior-kit . But unless you're opening the side doors it's not really going to be seen. The cockpit interior is pretty much non-existent but that's because they represented the filming model and not a representation of an Eagle as it were a real craft. I've seen some detail the interior and I'm thinking about that myself but not sure how far I want to go. But really, the kit is great right out of the box. I highly recommend it.

Bill

I'm not sure exactly when you wish to start the build, but if you can wait until September, the November issue of Fine Scale Modeler (due to hit news stands in September) has my buildup of the 22" Eagle which I originally did for a Kalmbach SF modeling book due the month later. Unfortunately it got bumped from the book, but with it coming out a month earlier, it should aid in your cause if you intend to go with building the 22" Eagle kit.

And this July we will be seeing the cargo/winch Eagle hitting store shelves. It will also be an excellent seller.

• 4 months later...

Jay,

Sorry for bumping this old post up but I got my November issue of FSM in the mail and there is no article in there about the 22" Eagle.  I also have the very, very old FSM/Kalmbach soft cover book covering spacecraft of fact and fiction, but your post hints to the fact that there may be two books about spacecraft modeling from FSM/Kalmbach that I do not have.  Clarification please!  Thanks!

Best Regards,

Ken Bailey

(SonyKen)

Jay,

Sorry for bumping this old post up but I got my November issue of FSM in the mail and there is no article in there about the 22" Eagle.  I also have the very, very old FSM/Kalmbach soft cover book covering spacecraft of fact and fiction, but your post hints to the fact that there may be two books about spacecraft modeling from FSM/Kalmbach that I do not have.  Clarification please!  Thanks!

Best Regards,

Ken Bailey

(SonyKen)

It actually got bumped to the October "Spooktacular" issue. I was told it was November, but they did one issue right before and that is where it ended up. So look for the FSM issue with an orange strip on top and a small picture of Frankenstein's monster.