1/48 Kitty Hawk, ESCI, Italeri UH-1H comparison build

Sorry for the long update hiatus, but amazingly enough building three Hueys tales three times as long as building one!  I have made a lot fo progress, but tonight I want to focus on the pilot seats.  First up to refresh everyone's memory and so it will be here in the thread, here are the armored seats needed for virtually all Vietnam Hueys.  Photos by Robert Brackenhoff, 174th AHC.

Right seat:

35553478422_518bc2743e_z.jpg

35553476852_4183081e87_z.jpg

35335214700_43a42a744c_z.jpg

left seat:

35335216140_6d216d2984_z.jpg

You can see that the small fixed armored pieces on the sides of the left and right seat are different shapes.  Both are identical in the KH kit, however.  

First the main pieces of the KH armored seat.  Pretty nice detail for 1/48.

35720151145_c4680e53b7_b.jpg

However, each part has a ejection pin mark, but at least they are on the inside of the parts.

35720152155_76b819c232_z.jpg

I filled in all the ejection pin marks with Tamiya white putty.  Not a huge task, but as you can see, a necessary one.

35333060270_4a76981f26_c.jpg

As you can see even the back of the armored shell has a pin mark that should be filled.

35680429336_80d11fd7c5_h.jpg

So how does the KH seat compare to the other two kits?  Try not to laugh too hard!  KH on the right, Italeri middle and ESCI left.  Not even a contest since only the KH seat looks remotely correct.  This is the KH seat built straight form the box with no modifications.

35332878520_bad10ce09b_h.jpg

I wanted to see if I could duplicate the slid back armor plate correct for a parked Huey.  I decided the easiest way to do this was to use a razor saw to remove the mounting tabs.

35720163045_5877aae4dc_c.jpg

I then mounted the tabs to the seat back and sanded the edges of the plate before re positioning it.    OOB is to the right, modified to the left.  I will mount one of each in the cockpit.

34878860624_518d2a11d2_c.jpg

Well that's the update for tonight.  I have more done, but need to edit the images.  The biggest issue with the seats in my opinion is the rather crude representation of the springs on the back, but a little scratch work would fix that right up.  also I find the position of the armored plate OOB to not only be wrong for a parked Huey, but it sits a little wonky as well.  that's the best way I know to describe it anyway.

Ray

Edited by rotorwash
14 hours ago, rotorwash said:

Sorry for the long update hiatus, but amazingly enough building three Hueys tales three times as long as building one!  I have made a lot fo progress, but tonight I want to focus on the pilot seats.  First up to refresh everyone's memory and so it will be here in the thread, here are the armored seats needed for virtually all Vietnam Hueys.  Photos by Robert Brackenhoff, 174th AHC.

Right seat:

RVNp008_zpsczoauzha.jpg

RVNp009_zpsqq5z2nj9.jpg

RVNp011_zpsmwevuc8b.jpg

left seat:

RVNp010_zpstooniwn2.jpg

You can see that the small fixed armored pieces on the sides of the left and right seat are different shapes.  Both are identical in the KH kit, however.  

First the main pieces of the KH armored seat.  Pretty nice detail for 1/48.

Figure%2044_zps4qdrmois.jpg

However, each part has a ejection pin mark, but at least they are on the inside of the parts.

Figure%2045_zpsbmxbh3ow.jpg

I filled in all the ejection pin marks with Tamiya white putty.  Not a huge task, but as you can see, a necessary one.

Figure%2046_zps328ivptu.jpg

As you can see even the back of the armored shell has a pin mark that should be filled.

Figure%2049_zpsj77vmw6n.jpg

So how does the KH seat compare to the other two kits?  Try not to laugh too hard!  KH on the right, Italeri middle and ESCI left.  Not even a contest since only the KH seat looks remotely correct.  This is the KH seat built straight form the box with no modifications.

Figure%2050_zpsulm7whwf.jpg

I wanted to see if I could duplicate the slid back armor plate correct for a parked Huey.  I decided the easiest way to do this was to use a razor saw to remove the mounting tabs.

Figure%2048_zpsai88rxys.jpg

I then mounted the tabs to the seat back and sanded the edges of the plate before re positioning it.    OOB is to the right, modified to the left.  I will mount one of each in the cockpit.

Figure%2047_zpspvt22e4c.jpg

Well that's the update for tonight.  I have more done, but need to edit the images.  The biggest issue with the seats in my opinion is the rather crude representation of the springs on the back, but a little scratch work would fix that right up.  also I find the position of the armored plate OOB to not only be wrong for a parked Huey, but it sits a little wonky as well.  that's the best way I know to describe it anyway.

Ray

Note the 'eye' of the shoulder harness.  It's sewed using the same material as strap itself.  Others used metal 'eye'.  Both thread thru the needle of the lap belt and latched secured all.  I flew with both kinds.

Bo

Demon 68

Holy crap, I think i finally have all the pics back in this thread.  So sorry for all the trouble Photobucket is causing in these threads.  Now i can finally go build something!  back soon with an update.

Ray

• 4 weeks later...