Revell P-51D on deck

Hello all and thanks for the add. I have been building for the last year after a 30+ year layoff. I started with cars and trucks which I enjoy but have found myself gravitating back to aircraft. I will be receiving my eBay score of a Revell P-51D Mustang. On of my 2 favorite aircraft of WWII (the other is the F4U Corsair). Not sure if I want it Aluminum, or mostly Olive Drab? And also if I want to use Tamiya Acrylics, Lacquer, or Testors enamel. Suggestions tips are welcomed. Thanks.

Welcome back to the hobby and welcome to the forum.

Which Revell P-51D did you score? What scale?   There are at least two different kits which have been sold in a revell box, so If we can identify the kit, we can give you some feed back on what to look put for.

What paint did you use back when you built models before?  Do you have an airbrush?  You will find some of the paint brands you remember from the 80s are still around, like Tamiya, and testors, and Humbrol.  However in the past few years we lost Pactra, PollyScale, Floquil and probably a few others I can not think of at the moment. But there are many other new paint  brands emerging.

The good news is that the P-51D is a pretty popular subject so there are lots of decal options out there.  It is really up to you what scheme you want to do. 

20 minutes ago, Kurt H. said:

Welcome back to the hobby and welcome to the forum.

Which Revell P-51D did you score? What scale?   There are at least two different kits which have been sold in a revell box, so If we can identify the kit, we can give you some feed back on what to look put for.

What paint did you use back when you built models before?  Do you have an airbrush?  You will find some of the paint brands you remember from the 80s are still around, like Tamiya, and testors, and Humbrol.  However in the past few years we lost Pactra, PollyScale, Floquil and probably a few others I can not think of at the moment. But there are many other new paint  brands emerging.

The good news is that the P-51D is a pretty popular subject so there are lots of decal options out there.  It is really up to you what scheme you want to do. 

Hey Kurt thanks for the reply. It's 148th scale. The Big Beautiful Doll  issue with Checkerboard nose art. Not sure of the Revell model number.

3 minutes ago, JerseeJerry55 said:

Hey Kurt thanks for the reply. It's 148th scale. The Big Beautiful Doll  issue with Checkerboard nose art. Not sure of the Revell model number.

Ahh Ok, so that makes it the old Monogram P-51D .  I built one of those recently, the things to watch out for are the fit of the lower cowl to the fuselage, and the wing to fuselage joint on the top, there was a pretty big gap. 

Aside from those issues, that is a fun kit to build.  

24 minutes ago, Kurt H. said:

Ahh Ok, so that makes it the old Monogram P-51D .  I built one of those recently, the things to watch out for are the fit of the lower cowl to the fuselage, and the wing to fuselage joint on the top, there was a pretty big gap. 

Aside from those issues, that is a fun kit to build.  

Kurt thanks. So I figure putty usage will be in order then. What brand/type do you recommend? Also may want to change up to aftermarket decals is there are website you'd recommend? Also in regard to your initial questions here goes. I always used Testors or Pactra enamels back in the day. So I am a rattle can guy. I own a brand new airbrush but don't have a compressor. I was thinking about using Tamiya paints as I use their lacquers on some of my other projects. Do you have any input suggestions warnings about Tamiya acrylics. I have read good and bad about them. 

Everyone has their preference for putty. If I was starting from scratch, I would start with  Tamiya Putty (Basic Type)   .  It feathers nicely and does not seem to shrink.

Over the years there have been many decal sheets for the P-51D.  A good place to start researching is on scalemates.com ... you can choose the subject you are interested in, and find what kind of related products are available.  Or look in reference books or google images to find a real mustang you like and then search for decals for that unit. You can look on ebay for old decals, or model shows.  For new decal sheets many sell directly, or you can go to Sprue Brothers , they have a good selection of all manner of modeling products.

As for spray cans, I have not used them to paint a model for a long time, but I have heard good things about Tamiya spray cans, maybe others can offer more guidance. I do brush paint and airbrush Testors Model Master and Tamiya acrylics, I like them both.  Paint is really a matter of preference you just need to see what you like. 

I hope it helps, This kind of just scratches the surface. Hang around the forums, facebook groups, etc and you can pick up a lot of great info. 

When you get your P-51 please share your progress. 

12 hours ago, Kurt H. said:

Everyone has their preference for putty. If I was starting from scratch, I would start with  Tamiya Putty (Basic Type)   .  It feathers nicely and does not seem to shrink.

Over the years there have been many decal sheets for the P-51D.  A good place to start researching is on scalemates.com ... you can choose the subject you are interested in, and find what kind of related products are available.  Or look in reference books or google images to find a real mustang you like and then search for decals for that unit. You can look on ebay for old decals, or model shows.  For new decal sheets many sell directly, or you can go to Sprue Brothers , they have a good selection of all manner of modeling products.

As for spray cans, I have not used them to paint a model for a long time, but I have heard good things about Tamiya spray cans, maybe others can offer more guidance. I do brush paint and airbrush Testors Model Master and Tamiya acrylics, I like them both.  Paint is really a matter of preference you just need to see what you like. 

I hope it helps, This kind of just scratches the surface. Hang around the forums, facebook groups, etc and you can pick up a lot of great info. 

When you get your P-51 please share your progress. 

Kurt many thanks. I received the plane today and have researched a lot thus far. After this is done (or along the way) I will post my progression. Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-6-12 at 2:02 PM, Kurt H. said:

Dear Kurt: It´s the first time I read that Revell packed 2 differents kits of the P-51!, I´ve always thought it was only Monogram, wich is the other one?, Testors?.

Best regards,

Juan

Edited by dagger00

Welcome back to the hobby JerseeJerry 55. The old Monogram kit is avery nice and easy one. Just, as Kurt said, take your time in the wings to fuselage joint and the underside of the cowling. It´s a fun to build.

As far as paints, you have now 2 (3 here) acrylics brands now, AMMO and AK- Interactive. Both are water soluble, oudorless and a pleasure to work with. I´ve sold out all my old Humbrol enamels ones and changed to these kind of paints.

Best regards,

Juan

Edited by dagger00
14 hours ago, Kurt H. said:

Before the Revell-Monogram Merger in the 80s, The original Revell (venice beach, california) released a 1/48th P-51D in the 70s.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/194348-revell-h31-p-51d-mustang

(If you look at the timeline, they start to get mixed up but this would almost certainly be a different kit)

Thanks Kurt!.