Hello,

I have maybe a dumb question, where short bodies Huey frequently use as a medevac in Vietnan? I know they did but

cant find many pictures on the internet.. since I got some crosses Ill like to turn one of my shorts hueys into a medevac..

Ill like to see some

Thanks in advance!

7 hours ago, salvador001 said:

Ray might have some photos.

Rod.

Ray MIGHT have some photos?  REALLY???

Ray probably has more Huey pics than pics of his family!!!  Hehehe!

RAY IS DA HUEY MAN!!!!!!!!!!!

Tim

5 hours ago, CharlieUH-1H said:

Is this a "what if" or do they actually used to be like this one . I think this is Diecast

HELI1_C-_FC11.2_USA_UH1_C-_Huey-_Mede_Va

It looks like it is supposed to be a UH-1B MedEvac,  There was at least one in this configuration.

ce60c851e23b7520efbd1bad5d9af86b.jpg

UH-1A medevacs from the US Army Transportation Museum archives.

Image may contain: outdoor

UH-1B medevac in Vietnam:

UH-1B medevac from the US Army Aviation Museum archives.

Those should get you started at least.  The UH-1A was the first Huey flown in Vietnam in April, 1962.  They flew as medevacs with the 57th Medical Detachment.  the callsign for those missions was "Dustoff".  The UH-1B was also flown in Vietnam as a medevac, but was replaced beginning about 1965 by the UH-1D and then the UH-1H since they had more lift capability.  The UH-1A was pretty much gone by late 62 while the B model soldiered on as a gunship throughout the war.  HTH

Ray

Edited by rotorwash
8 minutes ago, CharlieUH-1H said:

Thanks! Mr Ray! 

Happy to help, Charlie.  The UH-1B is by far my favorite variant.  It's the only Huey model that flew every single medium helicopter mission in Vietnam: medevac, troop transport, VIP transport, ash and trash, gunship, light ship, psyops, even flew the only TOW missiles fired in Vietnam with the XM26 system.  

Ray

2 hours ago, hawkwrench said:

Ray MIGHT have some photos?  REALLY???

Ray probably has more Huey pics than pics of his family!!!  Hehehe!

RAY IS DA HUEY MAN!!!!!!!!!!!

Tim

LOL, Ray is da man! I know that. 

Rod.

Edited by salvador001

Hello friends

last weekend during the monthly Dominican Republic Scale Modeling group Meeting a friend that knows that I am a really obsessed Huey lover gave me some 15 something year old decals  that have the 1st Cav Div really cool logo .. since I have this Dog Huey without any markings and while I wait for my KH D/H to get home.. I thought it was cool to make this one as a "Medevac" so a Repaint, added some Future and Decals and some need it weathering and I am loving this Huey now :)

82622822-9747-414C-A664-E019E629C17D_zps

E1A8E7C6-2199-4C71-AE1B-58C4DE73CA15_zps

Edited by CharlieUH-1H
51 minutes ago, rotorwash said:

Looking good!  I am pretty sure there were never any B model medevacs in the Cav, but who cares.  It's coming along great.

Ray

Lol that's correct ..

a sir From a veterans medevac group today answered  a email from me asking that same question if some day a an M was used as a medevac in nam he said.. "we never really used it as a medevac since it was made for the stack guys.. but sometime we have so many medevacs down that we probably borrow some .. " 

2 minutes ago, CharlieUH-1H said:

Lol that's correct ..

a sir From a veterans medevac group today answered  a email from me asking that same question if some day a an M was used as a medevac in nam he said.. "we never really used it as a medevac since it was made for the stack guys.. but sometime we have so many medevacs down that we probably borrow some .. " 

Yep, the Charlie model was built as an interim gunship and having seen thousands and thousands of Vietnam photos, I have never seen a UH-1C medevac.  I've even seen an OH-6 medevac with red crosses and everything, but not a UH-1C.

Ray

47 minutes ago, rotorwash said:

Yep, the Charlie model was built as an interim gunship and having seen thousands and thousands of Vietnam photos, I have never seen a UH-1C medevac.  I've even seen an OH-6 medevac with red crosses and everything, but not a UH-1C.

Ray

I believe you my friend ...

in that case this one will rest on the hangar as a "what if" for the rest of her life 

As stated above, C models were not MedEvacs.  Additionally, a Medevac would not have the ammo box in it either, too much weight.  A nice looking build, but it would look much better w/out the red crosses and added guns/rockets as a 1 CAV gunship.

1 hour ago, HeavyArty said:

As stated above, C models were not MedEvacs.  Additionally, a Medevac would not have the ammo box in it either, too much weight.  A nice looking build, but it would look much better w/out the red crosses and added guns/rockets as a 1 CAV gunship.

That is correct , I don't have the guns for her .. if I find the Armament for her I can still make it  Cav. Div. 

• CharlieUH-1H changed the title to 1/48 "What If" UH-1 "NAM" MEDEVAC