Hi All! Just finished this one up Sunday...

Took an A-4M Kit and ordered up the B Specific sprues from Hasagawa.

Other AM used was Superscale decals Quickboost Guns, Bombs from a HAS Weap Set and an Eduard Pit PE Set. Paints used were Mr Paint, Tamiya and Mr Color.

Thanks for looking

Dave

IMG_9386.jpg
IMG_9390.jpg
IMG_9391.jpg
IMG_9382.jpg
IMG_9392.jpg
IMG_9393.jpg
IMG_9394.jpg
IMG_9395.jpg
IMG_9396.jpg
IMG_9397.jpg
IMG_9398.jpg
IMG_9399.jpg
IMG_9400.jpg
IMG_9401.jpg
IMG_9402.jpg
IMG_9403.jpg
IMG_9404.jpg
IMG_9405.jpg
IMG_9406.jpg
IMG_9407.jpg
IMG_9408.jpg
IMG_9409.jpg
IMG_9410.jpg

Thanks Brian!

Well the sprues cost around 20-25 USD. I downloaded B instructions from 1999.co.jp . It was a straight forward build... Pretty easy.... All ya need is a source for Hasagawa replacement sprues and a A-4M Kit.....

Here is the sprue index of the instruction sheet I used.....

you need Sprue M, G & K for a A-4B

And Sprue M,G and L for a A-4C

HTH

Dave

10065790z4_1.jpg

Edited by Tomcat Tweeker

Hello,

your A-4B looks good!

But are you sure you used an A-4M kit with -B sprues?! Since the fuselage halves of the A-4B and the A-4M are very different!

The intakes, various outlets on both fuselage halves and the shape of the cockpit - not only the canopy - are considerable differences!

There may be more....

Crafting the -B intakes to the -M fuselage needs some scratch building and "backdating" the cockpit shape of the -M to -B size also requires some scratch building.

Opening up respectively closing some outlets/exhausts is no big deal, also backdating the cockpit is doable since the A-4M kit contains the "early" cockpit parts (not sure if they are right for an A-4B) 

If you are gone this way your build deserves even more respect!

Best Regards, Jens

For all the doubters out there.... Please refer to the below sprue maps. One from the M and one from the B/C......

As you can see.. ALL the basic airframe sprues are the same with the exception of the Model specific ones.......

Sprue G in the B kit handles the Intakes, Sprue K handles the Nose and IP.......

Hope this helps

10065790z4_1.jpg
10058056z4.jpg

Edited by Tomcat Tweeker

Hello Dave,

there is no doubt that this conversion can be done! When you say you did it, you did it!

(ten years back - before Hasegawa released the TA-4 - I converted an A-4E to a TA-4J using a Monogram OA-4M for the forward fuselage an canopy parts...)

I just wanted to point out that it is not just a "sprue mixing thing"!

Hasegawa released (at least?) four different fuselage: one for the A-4B/C, one for the A-4E/F, one for the A-4M and one for the TA-4.

(They released a lot of boxings - aggressors, foreign users, etc....- each with one of these fuselage)

For building an A-4B the way you did, at least the modifications I described in my previous post have to be done and you did a great job!

Ah - and you are right, the IP for the A-4B is on sprue K!

Best regards,

Jens

Edited by onescale

Yea Jens I get it.....

But in this case..... The inaccuracies you mention are the fault of Hasagawa... Not mine. If one were to use a legit boxing of a B.... The same inaccuracies would be present. I never claimed to have fixed them. Just the fact I was able to build in a sense an OOB Hasagawa A-4B. So your implication that I didn't use an A-4M Kit was 100% unfounded..... And quite frankly...... Insulting.... If I had wanted ore needed the inaccuracies pointed out... I would have posted up in Critics Corner......

I am aware that almost 99% of all kits do not accurately represent the subject they are depicting.... And ya know what? It doesn't bother me....  I was able to build a reasonably accurate A-4B without spending a mint on Ebay for an A-4B Boxing. Sure looks like an A-4B To me and that is what matters.

Rant over....

Dave

Edited by Tomcat Tweeker

Dave,

I'm very sorry for hurting your feelings! This was not my intention! And there is no rant!

I'm afraid you misinterpreted my comments?! Or I failed with my statements (English is not my native language)! 

As stated before, your A-4B is well done an looks the part!! 

Sorry again and best regards,

Jens

Thanks Jens.... I appreciate it..... All Good

Dave

13 hours ago, onescale said:

Dave,

I'm very sorry for hurting your feelings! This was not my intention! And there is no rant!

I'm afraid you misinterpreted my comments?! Or I failed with my statements (English is not my native language)! 

As stated before, your A-4B is well done an looks the part!! 

Sorry again and best regards,

Jens

Thanks Rodney!

@ Model Guy

Yea there are.... All I did was follow the B Instructions and filled panel lines and holes that were called out as well as using the fuselage parts called out by the B Instructions..... Now as far as Hasegawa getting it right? I don't know.... But it looks pretty cool to me...

I think some folks just aren't getting the concept that the sprues for all three variants B,C & L from hasagawa are the same except for the nose, Intakes and clear parts.

Dave