Hi everybody.

This time is the one million $ quiz...

Doing research on-line for my 1/72 b-66 -the boomer- project i have noticed that in the pics the rear gun radar dome looks quite often yellowish.

Now, devoid of a good close-up, who knows what the real color might be?

yellow indeed? Never saw a yellow radome...

Or rather radome tan which may look yellowish in the old and not very clear late fifties photos?

(Gosh, nonetheless it looks to me as if it was really yellow...).

Thank you for your answers :-)

Best cheers and...happy modeling!

Bobo.

Here is another one:

a_3_b_66_hero.jpg

i was asked in a PM how i found the previous pic, i searched using RB-66B and that led me to some cockpit shots at the National Museum of the Air Force site so i put RB-66 in their search and found the pic listed as a NRB-66B.

Jari

thank you jari.

raw fiberglass was a possibility i din't think of. if it proves to be that, i really have no idea of which colors to mix together to get a fibreglass tint because you know, fibreglass isn't only a color, but much of it is in the grain.

nevertheless, i can experiment with this and in case i succeed, i will publish the how-to...:rolleyes:

i believe that no paint brand makes the specific -and realistic- fibreglass color.

nevertheles, jari, the more i look at those pics, the more i get convinced that it's real yellow of some sort.

the last you sent, for instance. look: even in the shadow it still brings in something about a yellow hue. fibreglass wouldn't "glow" so yellow...

at any rate, i'm almost sure -it's already painted-  that i will leave the traditional black as there are other black spots about the tail and i think it's goodlooking.

on the other side, exactely for the same reason, a yellow spot could be stylish with black around, wouldn't it?

really, i thank you for your quite on-target contribuiton, but i would like to hear something more on the subject.

ciao. ...and happy modeling: you doing some?

cheers, bobo.

Edited by Bobo1953
addendum

Here is a CF-104 with a fiberglass panel:

Cf-104%20UHF%20aerial%20panel.jpg

note how it is faded as compared with the part on the spine. Perhaps being more exposed to direct sunlight it faded more, if you look on the B-66 pic above you'll see it has a fiberglass panel on the bottom just under the insignia it is a more darker colour since it didn't get as much sun as the tail radome.

Jari

hello jari.

again, thanks.

it looks like the subject is quite attractive to you too...

i'm sorry: the fibreglass panel is the triangular beige one just aft the canopy?

well, it doesn't look faded to me: it's the normal fiberglass color i know.

the panel on the b-66 instead is too dark to be raw fiberglass: it must have been painted (?).

i didn't find many b-66 pics from below.

in the following one the paneling is different from yours, but is definitely painted black:douglas-b-66-destroyer-bomber-photo-print-2.resizejpg.jpg.278702d27487632edff8c2d33c46fccc.jpg

%follows 'cause i can't find a way to overtake this 0,1 mb limit on arc...

689e030cc527a4d962427fa166ba445d.jpg.b8c9644ec62cda789a3e4598d9be97cb.jpg

% in this one again, look at the yellow in the comet motif on the fin, and at the one on the back radome...quite similar huh?

i'd hardly say that it's the faded "beige" panel on your cf-104

i don't want to be insisting, but the fibreglass theory, though well grounded, seems to me to conflict with the other evidences...

to the next... :-)

ciao. bobo.

Edited by Bobo1953
addendum

Fiberglass can "weather" to many different colors. The F-14 Tomcat at the museum I volunteer at has ECM antenna in fiberglass. They are almost a light brown. I'd bet those domes were fiberglass. You could use just about any tan or light brown and not be wrong, especially based on the pictures you've shown. I use a German RLM color for mine, but I can't remember the exact color offhand.

thank you very much darren.

now you're two to one... :-)

and your direct testimony from the museum seems to be definitive.

ok: so be it fiberglass which, as i know it, is usually from beige to hazelnut in color. will check in the rlm what's more near.

thanks, guys. it's great to be in this community!

best ciaos. bobo.