I thought of painting my tires with more 'tire like' paint, instead of my customary semi-gloss black.  Today I bought some Testor's 'flat rubber', which has a brownish cast to it.  Is that what folks are commonly using for painting tires?  At any rate, I'm a candidate for some education.

Thanks very much.

I've tried that, didn't like the brown tint.

My preference is Mr Color Tire Black, #137, which is a dark gray. Vallejo has a similar color, Dark Rubber, #306. They also have a Light Rubber, #305, which I use for WWI aircraft.

Hi Peter

I have been using Model Master Euro Gray for my tire color but recently switched to Tamiya Acrylic NATO Black XF-69. I am very happy with the scale look this gives to tires as it is more of a very dark gray. I have found that Testors Rubber color to be too brown looking. Almost all modern (since WWI) tires have carbon black added for performance and these will cause to tires to look more black than brown.

Have fun modeling!

Mike

:cheers:

Thanks, folks.  Last night I followed some earlier mentioned experience and ordered some Mr. Color 'Tire Black'.  I'll be passing near my LHS next Wednesday and I'll try to chase down the Tamiya 'NATO black'.  I'll have gone in a day's time from no unique tire paint to three. 

If you don't mind enamel, my choice for tire color is about a 5:1 mix of Model Master flat black and DAK Afrika Braun '42. I've had a number of people comment on it and request the mix. I find that NATO black looks a little too greenish for me.

Edited by Grey Ghost 531
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, MiG Hunter said:

I use TAMIYA XF-85, Rubber Black. Very happy with the final product and real like. 

This!

I use this color for pretty much anything I paint black, including tires and anti-glare areas, cockpits, etc.  I also use this heavily thinned to simulate soot from exhausts and areas of deep dirt and staining. In this pic you can see where I used it for the nosecone, soot on the tail from the thrust reversers, tires, and deep staining and weathering...

357554-16625-27.jpg

9 hours ago, MiG Hunter said:

I use TAMIYA XF-85, Rubber Black. Very happy with the final product and real like. 

Great color!!! I used it all the time now.... just wish it came in the 23ml bottle.