Iridescent Canopy tint Experiment

Gents-

I was trying to figure out how to tint canopies to give them that iridescent look seen on many modern canopies.  The look is from anti-reflective coating (or at least that's what I read), and I have a similar coating on my glasses.  I wanted something that I could mix with future and other colors and be able to airbrush to build up the layers to get the effect I was looking for.  

I looked up acrylic iridescent paint and stumbled across this stuff at Michael's Craft Store.

https://www.michaels.com/10222022.html

I purchased some with a coupon for less than 3 dollars.  

I began mixing with Future to see what I could do with it. 

So after 1 layer airbrushed on these canopies this is what I got.  I think I will add more layers to see how well it builds up.  My test canopy is from the Kinetic T-45 kit.  Sorry for the pics, they are taken with my phone. 

njOTGX7.jpg

46NyCcd.jpg

08QUs8r.jpg

I will attempt to mix with other colors, like tamiya smoke, clear colors and food coloring.  I have a E-2 Hawkeye (which is what you see in the pics) that needs to have the side windows with a similar effect.  

Curious to hear your thoughts

Edited by eraucubsfan

I think it looks promising. I wonder whether it can be thinned with Tamiya X-20A and airbrushed onto bare clear plastic. If yes, I would build the layers that way, and once all has cured, I would do a future dip. But yes, it is intriguing especially if it can be reduced and a/b with acrylic thinner, alcohol etc. 

Any chance you can give that a try and share the results?

I recently bought Alclad iridescent chrome (name not exactly sure) and I plan to use it the way I describe above on an F-18C build.

I am curious to see how this goes!  I did a similar experiment trying to replicate the iridescent gold tint using nail polish.  You can see my thread here:

This was more for the gold/reddish tint on Raptors/Prowlers/ etc, and might not be the look you are going for.  

Might give you some more ideas to try as well.  I was pretty pleased with the results I got.

Edited by Fighting Eighty-Four

@Janissary   that's a good idea.  It seems the future layers are a bit too thick.   I'll probably use Isop Alcohol to see, don't want to waste X-20.   I want to use it with Tamiya's smoke gray too

@Fighting Eighty-Four I honestly meant to put it in my original post, but your post is what got me thinking about it.  I starting looking for a nail polish that would do it, but that led me to the acrylic stuff. I live in an apartment right now and try not to use anything with any kind of strong order.  I actually am trying to simulate that too, I have an E-2 Hawkeye that i have to do that on.  

@stalal Artist's Loft® Iridescent Medium, its available for Michael's craft stores here in the states. Check amazon, they may have it too. 

8 hours ago, eraucubsfan said:

@Fighting Eighty-Four I honestly meant to put it in my original post, but your post is what got me thinking about it.  I starting looking for a nail polish that would do it, but that led me to the acrylic stuff. I live in an apartment right now and try not to use anything with any kind of strong order.  I actually am trying to simulate that too, I have an E-2 Hawkeye that i have to do that on.  

Ah, that makes sense.  It definitely has a strong odor.

I hope this experiment yields a non-smelly alternative.  :-)

Hey Guys

I have been messing with this for a couple of days.  

First of all, thinning with Isoprop Alcohol seems to work, but it won't spray directly onto a canopy, it's way to thin and runs off.  I'm thinking it needs some type of medium to go with it.  Next try will be with some tamiya smoke added, just enough to slightly tint, then add some future maybe.  

However, right now i'm halted because I've run out of canopies to try this on.  I may try and strip a few and see if i can make it go.  

to be continued... 

• 1 month later...

Alright been on this mission myself for some time. i think I have what we are after. I recently bought a can of Tamiya Spray. However it's the Polycarbonate line. The color is Iridescent pink/gold. PC-47. 

I tested it and Acetone is the thinner needed. Uh oh right. well as a real acid test I pulled a canopy out then stash and purposely left it as is. After decanting a small amount I loaded up the Air Brush. I sprayed it on and it worked great but the canopy was cloudy as expected. As I said this was a real acid test so within 3 minutes I had the Air brush reloaded this time with Tamiya clear X-22 and thinned with Tamiya Lacquer Thinner. I sprayed it right over the top ...Nice and Clear with that tint of reflective color over it.... For me it looks really good and I will incorporate this into my F-22 build and any future build that requires this look...Albeit with more caution and preparation with hope for an even better result....

one small phone picture so you can see for yourself. trust me it looks better in person.

RZanTmc.jpg

Edited by viper730
  • 2 years later...

I think I might have found a solution, and by find, I mean I stole it off the internet  

I used headlight film, that peels and sticks.  Headlight film on Amazon

It's a little tough to get around the curves of the canopy, but a little heat from a hair dryer helped. 

On the canopy front section I put the film underneath, on the rear its on top.  It isn't perfect as I was just testing to see how it looks.  The nice thing is that since it is peel and stick, you can remove it easily and start over. 

0NyyZ8el.jpg?2

aRacd6ol.jpg?1

CA43D0Sl.jpg?2

lb3fE8fl.jpg?1

That looks promising. If possible, can you share a few more pics with preferably a solid color background and include a few closeups? Just wanted to see if there is any 'grittiness' from the adhesive that blurs the light. From what I can see, it looks pretty good. Just wanted to see more. Thanks!