A-10 Who Makes a Good 1/72 Kit?

Not Revellogram...  :(

The Academy kit is the old Hasegawa molds with new engraved panel lines (vs old raised)

I've heard the Italeri kit is good but haven't fondled one myself.

If you ask me, the italeri kit is the best detail wise. It has quite a bit detail only the gear bays are pretty void of detail. (But that's not different with the others)

The academy kit showes it's age a bit with simplified details and reflect very early A models.

The hasegawa kit is even older, but has recently been released with parts to upgrade it to the latest C version. 

So to conclude, the italeri kit had recently been reboxed in a gulf war edition (iirc also with a-10c decals but only the original A parts) so it's rather commonly available. If you find a cheap hasegawa A-10C kit, you can use these C-parts to upgrade the italeri kit. There's a basic kit (E43) And also a couple limiter editions available with different decals. 

That's how I think you achieve the best A-10C in 1/72nd scale.

Greetings!

hi rocketdrvr.

i have made the academy a-10 "a" and i loved that kit. nicely made, and it builds well. great decals.

nevertheless, i had to get the weapons from hasegawa sets as the ones in the kit were quite approximate.

italeri's i didn't build, but i hear it's a very good a-10 in both "a" and "c" versions. the panoplia is limited in numbers, but variated and nicely done.

visit: http://shop.italeri.com/Products/21766-1376-gulf-war-a-10-ac-thunderbolt-ii.aspx

click on the sprues etc. small pics to have an expanded view.

you find herebelow, my academy a-10a with hasegawa weaponry.

DSCF0007resize.JPG.5214238973218b533d9c475ce84838e8.JPG

hope it helps. have a happy modeling.

ciao. bobo.

Edited by Bobo1953
grammar

The A-10 is a good opportunity for a manufacturer to come in and blow away all the previous kits in 1/72, as they all show their age or have reported "issues" of one type or another. Perhaps Meng will add one to their increasing collection in the One True Scale? Or Great Wall Hobby could do it if their upcoming F-15E in this scale does well.

16 hours ago, habu2 said:

The Academy kit is the old Hasegawa molds with new engraved panel lines (vs old raised)

Another thing that Academy did was change the shape of the engine nacelles, the do not taper as much at the rear. To my eye the Hasegawa nacelles look better in shape, I do believe that Hasegawa has the best shape overall in 1/72.

I built one of the Italeri kits years ago, and it has their typical drawbacks from that era: soft panel lines, pebbly surface texture and soft details. From what I've read, some of the shapes are a bit off as well, the intake lips spring to mind.

The Hobby Boss kits are best avoided, they are very crude overall, intended as very simply quick builds, and the shape and accuracy is not very good.

Cheers,

Hoops

I've built them all, my favorite was the RoG/Italeri, however its got a couple shape issues, but the rest is decent. I agree a new one is warranted. Here's my RoG....

models07027.jpg

Jeff

20 minutes ago, achterkirch said:

I would get the italeri kit along with modern hobbies cockpit/update set. 

I totally agree! The Italeri kit is probably the best detail wise, and the Modern Hobbies cockpit set is super nice, and quite reasonably priced. Have fun with your Hog build ;0) Fred K.

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 3:58 AM, Fiddler said:

If you ask me, the italeri kit is the best detail wise. It has quite a bit detail only the gear bays are pretty void of detail. (But that's not different with the others)

The academy kit showes it's age a bit with simplified details and reflect very early A models.

The hasegawa kit is even older, but has recently been released with parts to upgrade it to the latest C version. 

So to conclude, the italeri kit had recently been reboxed in a gulf war edition (iirc also with a-10c decals but only the original A parts) so it's rather commonly available. If you find a cheap hasegawa A-10C kit, you can use these C-parts to upgrade the italeri kit. There's a basic kit (E43) And also a couple limiter editions available with different decals. 

That's how I think you achieve the best A-10C in 1/72nd scale.

Greetings!

I agree that the Italeri kit is the best.

Here's my A-10A kit built OOB......

SS854349_zps85dcd798.jpg