Williams Brothers Weddell-Williams racer

I decided to do this one next.  So...anyone have any experience with this model that they can share with me?  And recommendations for paints? I want to be doing the #44 version, sponsored by Gilmore Oil Company.   I may be asking a question whose answer is on the instructions, and I apologize if that is so. 

Thanks very much.

• 1 month later...

Started work.  Time to make a choice about which wheel/tire combination to use.  Is there a downside, and can it be mitigated, to using the flexible black tires that the kit has?  I'm curious as to why the manufacturer would offer those tires and wheels and the need-paint wheels and tires molded with the rest of the kit.

I built that fairly recently, in the "Gilmore Lion" scheme.  I think I used Model Master Ivory (from the car line) as the main color, with Testor's gloss red in the little square bottle for the trim.  The scheme is an adventure in masking, with the red border to the wings and tail surfaces and the need to paint part of the cowl trim in red with black outlines.  Only the "Y" part of the cowl trim is supplied in decal form alont with the fuselage stripes; the red and black around the cowl lip must be painted.  

I don't recall which set of wheels I used offhand (the model is stored away right now and not easily accessible), but I think I used the plastic ones.  WB gave the modeler a choice because they could, I suppose.  Some people like the rubber, others the plastic - personal preference.  I did use rubber tires on a WB Sparrowhawk years ago and don't recall any negative issues in doing so.  

I suggest using music wire for rigging, cut to length and glued into pre-drilled holes.  Looks better and easier to work with than monofiliament in this scale.  Here's a pic of mine:  

Edited by Joe Hegedus

Joe, Thanks for the post.  That's a gorgeous model.  Mine, too, will be #44.  I obtained a new set of decals from the kit manufacturer, and they're changed from the original ones, the red is much darker and they contain complete striping for the cowling.  Red paint is only needed for the flying surfaces and landing gear.   I was wondering where to locate the cabin interior, and the picture gives me an idea.  The kit instructions don't suggest a location much more detailed than 'inside the fuselage'. 

I thought I remembered reading a comment to the effect that the flexible black tires interacted with the plastic wheel hubs to the detriment of the hubs, hence my question.  

As for the music wire, any idea of the size?  (I just re-strung a guitar and I have a set of strings to donate to the cause, if the high side solid strings will do some of the job).

I used 0.015" music wire, from K&S.  Standard hobby shop size (smallest diameter in the normal display, in 3' lengths).  I don't know how that sizes out to guitar strings, but if what you have is straight then it should work OK.

The only "rubber" tires I've had experience with that reacted with styrene were those in the AMT F7F Tigercat (original issue; I don't know if they changed the tire formula in later boxings or not so can't comment on those).  

Joe, 

Guitar strings entered the conversation after you mentioned using music wire for rigging instead of the monofilament that the kit was packed with.  The castoff guitar strings I have bracket the size you mentioned, one is .012", the next is .018", and it's available at no charge and no travel cost to fetch it.  Problem is, two strings ain't nearly enough (two feet of each) and I'll be heading to the hobby shop to fetch some K&S wire anyway.  Unless I re-string another guitar or two, then I'd have three instruments with strings less than a year old and enough wire for rigging.  I appreciate the stimulus to imagination.  Much obliged. 

• 3 months later...