Monogram decal experts

Hello, I'm getting ready to start an older Monogram F-15 and plan on using the decals that came with the kit.  However, I've heard about the "milky" residue they leave when applied, how do you guys deal with or eliminate that during application?  Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

6.jpg

I built that kit many years ago, using the kit decals for the aircraft based at Sosterburg. They still look fine, even after all this time, all I did at the time was wipe away the excess decal setting solution while I was pressing the decal down firmly onto the surface. Give the decals sufficient time to fully cure, the white disappears completely. I can't recall if I used any setting solution, I do know that I glossed the surface before applying the decals and dull coated it after they had fully cured. 

I think those decals are from the Monogram era where they don't react well to decal setting solutions. In other words, just use water on them. When the decals are dry and settled in place, take a damp cloth and wipe away any leftover residue around the decal.

41 minutes ago, DonSS3 said:

I think those decals are from the Monogram era where they don't react well to decal setting solutions. In other words, just use water on them. When the decals are dry and settled in place, take a damp cloth and wipe away any leftover residue around the decal.

The adhesive in that generation of Monogram decals was pressure sensitive and you needed to gently press them down with a damp paper towel once they were positioned correctly.  The opposite of the "Micro Scale system", where you were told never to touch them and let the solutions do the work.  The white adhesive wasn't a problem to clean off.  I just made sure to use distilled water to avoid any staining.  

Mark 

On 6/17/2017 at 10:49 PM, Viper_944FW said:

Hello, I'm getting ready to start an older Monogram F-15 and plan on using the decals that came with the kit.  However, I've heard about the "milky" residue they leave when applied, how do you guys deal with or eliminate that during application?  Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

One easy way out is to remove *all* decal glue, by rubbing the released decal over a surface. Then use Future as decal glue: just put a drop on the surface, place the decal in it, brush away the excess. Done! Give it a try on some of the decals you won't use.

Rob

10 hours ago, DonSS3 said:

I think those decals are from the Monogram era where they don't react well to decal setting solutions...

I don't remember where I got this info, it was back in the days of rec.models.scale and supposedly came directly from Monogram.

Note the number in the lower left corner of the decal sheet in the image in the first post. 

5801-0300 

It may be obvious but the four digit prefix is the model stock or catalog number.  5801 was Monogram's original F-15A release.

The four digit suffix is a decal supplier code.  Supplier code -0300 decals are NOT compatible with setting solutions. Codes -0310 and -0320 SHOULD BE compatible with setting solutions, and SHOULD BE TESTED on a spare or unused decal with choice of setting solution. 

Edited by habu2
Bold emphasis added