Olimp Resin reviews or feedback

Has anyone used Olimp Resin details before? I'm interested in hearing of opinions as to build-ability, quality and accuracy. I know they have produced a number of products for the Tornado, Eurofighter Typhoon, Harrier etc. Just trying to decide if it is worth ordering any of it. FWIW Sprue Bros was carrying the line at one time, not so much now.

Thanks!

I have a couple of their sets (Tornado and Typhoon for Libya ops come to mind). They do some things that others ignore. That said, if one of the big companies (e.g., Eduard, Aires, etc.) do the same item (like nozzles), I go with them. But, if there is no other option, they aren't bad.

3 hours ago, mrvark said:

I have a couple of their sets (Tornado and Typhoon for Libya ops come to mind). They do some things that others ignore. That said, if one of the big companies (e.g., Eduard, Aires, etc.) do the same item (like nozzles), I go with them. But, if there is no other option, they aren't bad.

Thank you. I look at the photos of their creations and they don't exactly look like they are well cast (warpage?) But you're right they do seem to be the only game in town. I have a Typhoon delivery tomorrow which I would love to have decent burner cans and intakes, but I don't want to waste the coin on something that is not going to fit correctly or is out of scale. Too bad Aires will not do the burner cans etc.

On another note, how are the "Englishmen over Tripoli" sets? Are the Brimstone's straight and detailed?

I have the first edition of

Mirage 2000D/N set (first edition), there is something which looks like a targeting pod,AUF-2 pylons are kinda meh,tail is bent,GBUs are maybe just U

Su-34 set, leagues better than the Mirage 2000 set but I suspect that something is way overscale or soviets just don't care about drag

AV-8B/B+ set, seems fine but I think I'll just convert the Airfix GR.9 into an AV-8B

Was planning to buy the AH-1W upgrade set and also the conversion for Zvezda Hind but some bird told me that the P version is getting a release soon and also I don't like it that much cause something is amiss

The Typhoon nozzles do not look correct when viewed on a kit. One example I saw seems to show the petals extending past the inner nozzle. They looked splayed open. I wish Aires or someone would do a set.

I have used Olimp accessories for Mirage 2000D. Since it was a Kinetic kit from early days, it had a lot of inaccuracies. The most glaring one was wrong shape of under-wing drop tanks. In order to get it right, I used Olimp. 

For what I got in the set, only drop tanks were usable. The rest of the accessories were over sized. I read same reviews about their Typhoon detail up parts. Since I used them once, I did not bother to buy them again. 

I heard from some on Britmodeller not to waste my money for the Typhoon items. I am surprised with the number of Eurofighter deliveries and popularity as a subject in Europe that Olimp is still the only game in town for 1/48 nozzles and intakes. Go 1/32 (and the Revell 1/32 kit is OOP for now) and Aires is all over it. It would seem to me that for the right "Master Caster" out there, it would be a viable subject to produce some updates & corrections. 

As a side note, I am getting closer to starting my Kinetic Mirage 2000D with a "brick" of resin stuff. There are fewer than 90 of them in service with the L'Armee de L'air but a ton of resin out there from a variety of producers.

I have the 1/72 Su-34 sets; tentative test-fitting would support the dimensional accuracy of most parts for the Italeri plastic.

The account of an actual installation can be found here...the Good Bit starts on Page 2. (Would it not have been easier to shrink the real thing?!)

4 hours ago, ChippyWho said:

I have the 1/72 Su-34 sets; tentative test-fitting would support the dimensional accuracy of most parts for the Italeri plastic.

The account of an actual installation can be found here...the Good Bit starts on Page 2. (Would it not have been easier to shrink the real thing?!)

Wow, after reading through a few pages of that, watching the troubles he went through and so forth, I'd rather stab myself with a fork then go through that build. His landing gear work was spectacular for 1/72 scale, but what hell to go through with fit issues. Good luck with your 1/72 Su-34.

On 6/18/2017 at 5:57 PM, Mizar said:

<...> the conversion for Zvezda Hind but some bird told me that the P version is getting a release soon <...>

Ooh! :woo:

Colour me intrigued. Any further info?

I have some of their 1/72 scale sets, most of them were a waste of time.

Either they're too big, too small or part size don't match each other.

Typhoon nozzle set. They were released back then for the revell kit, before the hasegawa kit was out. They are over 1 mm too big in diameter to the Revell kit parts, Hasegawa too. Then either the inner nozzle was too big or the external petals diameter too small, because you couldn't fit them over the inner nozzle without shaving down resin. And like you said they end up looking like the petals were splayed open.

MiG-31 nozzles. Wrong diameter, and both external nozzles were different size and diameter to each other, one of them was even warped to boot.

12 hours ago, ChernayaAkula said:

Ooh! :woo:

Colour me intrigued. Any further info?

Yes, its were my words at BM.

Mi-24P fully ready to cut in metall (one new sprue) need only good will of Zvezda's management.  

I saw a guy use the 1/48 AH-1W upgrade set and he did not seem to have too much trouble. I found the set looked a bit rough but that may have been his building? I may still have to pick it up as they are the only ones doing the AH-1W with the horizontal exhausts in 1/48th.

I have as for now only used the kit for the SU-34 (Osetia warrior set and control surfaces), and it was pretty straightforward in my opinion. Though a bit crude.... I also have the kit for the AH-1W in 1/72, but haven't started it yet....

I have the 1/72 Super Etendard setc and as has been said, it is a bit crude.  However, since I was after a Damocles pod and the Alkan chaff/flare pods and pylons, it was worth it.  The only other game in town was the L'Arsenal Damocles pod which looks very nice but I would have still needed the chaff/flare gear to make an up-to-date SEM.

IF they were to make the port wing pylon, and wing and rear fuselage passive detectors for the Mirage IV in 72nd scale, I would definitely buy them!

WARDOG