Super Hornet shoots down Syrian SU-22

2 hours ago, GMK said:

Does this gel with your information, Dave?

Pretty much. I did not know the pilots name and was waiting on confirmation regarding the BuNo/modex, but everything else is correct. 

1 hour ago, Niels said:

Will be nice to see which decal company is first with (accurate) markings of this bird :taunt:

Yeah and accurate loadouts...that 8 x 1000lb JDAM, 2 x 500lb JDAM loadout is wild. 

Go for the combo -87, -31 sheet for this deployment.

Cheers,

Dave

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 8:23 AM, Vaildog said:

.6 miles and you cant get a kill with your first shot? Should have gone to guns. 

:rofl:

No, really...

:rofl:

The AIM-9 was decoyed by flares (likely AIM-9X) so the pilot went to an AIM-120 and that got the kill.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/06/21/politics/us-syria-russia-dogfight/index.html

I'm surprised that the pilot was able to get off flares (likely because he or his wingman saw the SHs and the missile launch) and the X was decoyed so easily.  I thought they were less susceptible to flares than the M. 

I will be curious to hear whether the SHs were also carrying AG ordinance.  My guess likely.  They carried only 1 AIM-9X and 1 AIM-120 in Afghanistan and Iraq once the wars transition to anti insurgency ops.  But I have noticed the SHs packing - 2 AIM-9Xs and 1 AIM-120 - for Inherent Resolve.

6 hours ago, parche said:

Yeah and accurate loadouts...that 8 x 1000lb JDAM, 2 x 500lb JDAM loadout is wild. 

Cheers,

Dave

I am always up for a multiple choice CVW-8 sheet. Toss VFA-37 in there and I would be one happy camper. (all ready have enough VFA-213 decals in the stash.)

4 hours ago, B2Blain said:

They carried only 1 AIM-9X and 1 AIM-120 in Afghanistan and Iraq once the wars transition to anti insurgency ops.  

In Afganistan they hardly carried A2A ordinance as there was no oposition. Over Syria I would believe they carried the optimal load vs. mission duration etc. 

With 2 UAV's and 1 SU-22 shot down over the last 10 days, when will the next kill come? 

Allow me to point out that no details have been "officially" release by the USN and that CNN is not a very trustworthy source, hell, they can't even spell ordnance correctly.

As for the detail stated in the article, I would trust Bill Cosby mixing my wife a drink before I trust what the media is reporting.

On 6/20/2017 at 8:23 AM, Vaildog said:

.6 miles and you cant get a kill with your first shot? Should have gone to guns. 

Definitely would have tried guns just for the fun of it before tossing the AIM-120...but I'm sure ol' boy had other priorities besides a "cool" gun kill. But you know the Ready Room is bustin' his balls over it a little bit...

Edited by 82Whitey51
1 hour ago, 82Whitey51 said:

Definitely would have tried guns just for the fun of it before tossing the AIM-120...but I'm sure ol' boy had other priorities besides a "cool" gun kill. But you know the Ready Room is bustin' his balls over it a little bit...

Hey brother, I just sent you a PM.

hard to believe but if the kill was indeed made with a slammer at a mere range of 0.6nm then sidewinders should be shelved for good, no point in maintaining em since aim9 was supposed to prosecute a target at those ranges, not an aim120 - besides hobs my fas$ (love the forum auto correct :thumbsup: )if it can't even hit something more akin to bombtruck that is a fitter, flares or not.

Edited by murad
On 6/21/2017 at 11:13 AM, parche said:

Cheers,

Dave

And tack on -213 while you're at it. 

On 6/21/2017 at 6:41 PM, B2Blain said:

The AIM-9 was decoyed by flares (likely AIM-9X) so the pilot went to an AIM-120 and that got the kill.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/06/21/politics/us-syria-russia-dogfight/index.html

I'm surprised that the pilot was able to get off flares (likely because he or his wingman saw the SHs and the missile launch) and the X was decoyed so easily.  I thought they were less susceptible to flares than the M. 

I will be curious to hear whether the SHs were also carrying AG ordinance.  My guess likely.  They carried only 1 AIM-9X and 1 AIM-120 in Afghanistan and Iraq once the wars transition to anti insurgency ops.  But I have noticed the SHs packing - 2 AIM-9Xs and 1 AIM-120 - for Inherent Resolve.

Thats interesting because the internet is convinced the AMRAAM can't be used WVR, and the Sidewinder is much much more reliable. (Derp: its the sidewinder that gets the kill close in after the AMRAAMs miss! Derp) 

On 6/21/2017 at 0:02 PM, Niels said:

Will be nice to see which decal company is first with (accurate) markings of this bird :taunt:

TwoBobs is probably the closest to being able to put out VFA-31's decals. He already has the art work from his earlier VFA-31 decals. All he would need to do is change modex, Buno, names and maybe tweek the artwork.

On 6/21/2017 at 1:02 PM, Niels said:

Being 'First' has never been my concern. :thumbsup:

Edited by Dave Roof