Super Hornet shoots down Syrian SU-22

3 hours ago, DarkKnight said:

not to go off topic, so the nasty anti-super Hornet essay is factual?

It was really written by someone (a Legacy Hornet pilot) as their opinion, but I don't think anyone not involved with flying them could say whether it's an accurate opinion.

11 hours ago, DarkKnight said:

not to go off topic, so the nasty anti-super Hornet essay is factual?

Sort of. Parts are true, parts are not true, some are mixtures of both with opinion and conjecture thrown in. 

I wanted to remind people that critics are often proven wrong and rarely humble enough to shut up

Edited by TaiidanTomcat
On June 25, 2017 at 1:09 PM, GW8345 said:

The Nay will not be "parading" the pilot around, that would be the stupidest thing they could do because every junior jihadi would be salivating to "even the score".

Also notice how the Navy is keeping this low key, we still have people over there and they don't want to in danger any of them encase the worst happens and they come down in enemy territory.

Now, remember when someone said OPSEC, well good going guys, you just ID'ed the squadron involved. What do you think is going to happen to an aircrew/pilot that would happen to get captured, do you think they are going to treat him like a hero. Also, are you guys that stupid to think that this site is not watched by other countries foreign intelligence services and jihadi's looking for intel. But hey, let's talk about America's front line air to air missile capabilities and put our service men/women lives in danger for some freaking decals for a model.

I'm sure Iran is thanking you right now...........................

Opsec? Lol, in this day and age. Please. 

listen, I would never put anyone of our people in harms way, but markings and even names if painted on canopy, i think are ok, everyone knows that navy pilots don't fly the same plane day after day, and I doubt ISIS builds models.  research can easily give you a squadron name. OPSEC is important, but so is model building, it creates excitement imagination  and inspires our next generation of pilots engineers maintainers and presidents 

38 minutes ago, Dennis the peasant said:

Are we talking OPSEC about a U.S. Navy aircraft on a website run by a Canadian and where many of the posters do not live in the United States?

Cheers,

Dennis

Good point.  I never really trusted those Canucks....    

We need to shut this conversation down, ASAP.  Loose lips sink ships guys!

11 hours ago, 11bee said:

Good point.  I never really trusted those Canucks....    

We need to shut this conversation down, ASAP.  Loose lips sink ships guys!

Lol

18 hours ago, DarkKnight said:

did real us special forces call him UBL or OBL

He was named as UBL in the 1990s by the US intel community and it never changed in the US gov, despite the Post 9/11 rename with "Osama" 

19 hours ago, Dennis the peasant said:

Are we talking OPSEC about a U.S. Navy aircraft on a website run by a Canadian and where many of the posters do not live in the United States?

If we don't maintain OPSEC about a Navy aircraft, then the aircraft's family may be put in danger.

8 minutes ago, spejic said:

If we don't maintain OPSEC about a Navy aircraft, then the aircraft's family may be put in danger.

exactly. I havn't seen YF-17 in decades. You think OPSEC doesn't affect the Hornet Family, people?

2 hours ago, TaiidanTomcat said:

exactly. I havn't seen YF-17 in decades. You think OPSEC doesn't affect the Hornet Family, people?

Mmmm, saw a YF-17 at Pensacola last year.  :)

And Hornets live in Colonies not Families...  :)

4 hours ago, TaiidanTomcat said:

Maybe he was referring to the family model F-18?

Regards,

Murph

Edited by Murph
14 hours ago, ChesshireCat said:

Your saying the RAF got zero kills in Korea? 

Gary

I am. The FAA got a Mig kill (Sea Fury) in Korea; the RAF's last kill was an Egyptian Spitfire in the 1940s. The RAF has never killed a jet air-to-air. 

34 minutes ago, GMK said:

I am. The FAA got a Mig kill (Sea Fury) in Korea; the RAF's last kill was an Egyptian Spitfire in the 1940s. The RAF has never killed a jet air-to-air. 

Would you could class the  kill in GW1 was scored by a GR1 bombing an Iraqi airfield. An unfortunate Iraqi was taking off during the raid, was airborne as the bombs hit, and his aircraft was destroyed, this  apparently counts as an air-to-air kill.