Super Hornet shoots down Syrian SU-22

2 hours ago, Aussie_superbug said:

Would you could class the  kill in GW1 was scored by a GR1 bombing an Iraqi airfield. An unfortunate Iraqi was taking off during the raid, was airborne as the bombs hit, and his aircraft was destroyed, this  apparently counts as an air-to-air kill.

Never heard of this before.    Got any details to back it up?   Did a quick search on my phone, didn't see anything.   

2 hours ago, Aussie_superbug said:

Would you could class the  kill in GW1 was scored by a GR1 bombing an Iraqi airfield. An unfortunate Iraqi was taking off during the raid, was airborne as the bombs hit, and his aircraft was destroyed, this  apparently counts as an air-to-air kill.

If it is real, there's the question of intent, surely. Air-to-air manslaughter, perhaps?

There's the F-15E that targeted an Iraqi Hind with some sort of GBU, hit with the LGB while it was hovering. That's a kill. An aircraft that happens to be hit by bomb fragments as it's taking off? Not so much.

There is that accidental RAF Jaguar kill - shot down by a QRA Phantom. Again, accidental. 

Edited by GMK
7 hours ago, 11bee said:

Never heard of this before.    Got any details to back it up?   Did a quick search on my phone, didn't see anything.   

I should have done a little back tracing for this. As they say never let a good story interfere with reality.:doh:

PANAVIA Tornado GR.1 ZA447/EA had a nice art decoration carrying the name "MiG Eater" - it was believed this aircraft destroyed an Iraqi Air Force MiG-29 (hence the name) but it turned out to be a Mirage F1.  This Mirage was infact stationary at the time of the bombing of the airbase & not getting airborne 

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 6:06 AM, GMK said:

I am. The FAA got a Mig kill (Sea Fury) in Korea; the RAF's last kill was an Egyptian Spitfire in the 1940s. The RAF has never killed a jet air-to-air. 

wow! I did not ever expect that. I thought they got a couple shoot downs in the Falklands, and expected they at least got a few over Korea. Let alone Iraq.

gary

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 6:46 AM, Aussie_superbug said:

Chuck Yeager got a lot of kills that way

gary

• 2 weeks later...

The August "Combat Aircraft" magazine has a two page photo of AJ 304 168914 and a brief article of the incident.

Nice photo!!

Decals please............toss "AJ" VFA-37 on there too please.

On 7/11/2017 at 1:08 PM, ChesshireCat said:

wow! I did not ever expect that. I thought they got a couple shoot downs in the Falklands, and expected they at least got a few over Korea. Let alone Iraq.

gary

Yes, there were A-A kills made by British Harrier pilots over the Falklands...maybe it was RN pilots?

4 hours ago, Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy said:

Yes, there were A-A kills made by British Harrier pilots over the Falklands...maybe it was RN pilots?

There was a RAF pilot - in a RN Harrier, seconded to a RN Squadron - who got some kills in the Falklands, but most of the kills were RN pilots, in RN aircraft, in RN Squadrons, off RN ships. 

15 hours ago, phantom said:

The August "Combat Aircraft" magazine has a two page photo of AJ 304 168914 and a brief article of the incident.

Nice photo!!

Decals please............toss "AJ" VFA-37 on there too please.

See what happens when you break OPSEC on ARC? Combat Aircraft gets wind of the discussion by modelers and publish an article for all to see and read. Way to go guys, way to go!

1 hour ago, Dave Roof said:

See what happens when you break OPSEC on ARC? Combat Aircraft gets wind of the discussion by modelers and publish an article for all to see and read. Way to go guys, way to go!

Ha!!!!

2 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

The only winners here are the wily Iranians.   Now that they have the BuNo and can confirm the weathering on this jet, they truly have the upper hand in this conflict.

I hope our resident OPSEC enforcers will shoot out a blistering letter to this traitorous magazine.    

Edited by 11bee
On 7/10/2017 at 7:29 AM, GMK said:

If it is real, there's the question of intent, surely. Air-to-air manslaughter, perhaps?

There's the F-15E that targeted an Iraqi Hind with some sort of GBU, hit with the LGB while it was hovering. That's a kill. An aircraft that happens to be hit by bomb fragments as it's taking off? Not so much.

There is that accidental RAF Jaguar kill - shot down by a QRA Phantom. Again, accidental. 

Air to air manslaughter... No that's funny!

You know, I could have said nothing a let you guys look like idiots when the correct BUNO was released. Think about how much those decal manufactures would have loved you after you told them the wrong BUNO, talk about going from hero to zero real fast.

Also, I love how people can't tell the difference between what is classified and what is FOUO. OPSEC doesn't mean something is classified, it means that it's not suitable for public release.

Now, if you ladies think that info should be release, file a FOIA with the USN.

21 hours ago, GW8345 said:

You know, I could have said nothing a let you guys look like idiots when the correct BUNO was released. Think about how much those decal manufactures would have loved you after you told them the wrong BUNO, talk about going from hero to zero real fast.

Also, I love how people can't tell the difference between what is classified and what is FOUO. OPSEC doesn't mean something is classified, it means that it's not suitable for public release.

Now, if you ladies think that info should be release, file a FOIA with the USN.

You're taking this whole discussion a little bit too seriously.

Don`t know if you know, but the pilot involved has been giving an interview on the incident to Channel 5 in the UK. (CVN 77 currently in the Solent off Portsmouth).

Can`t find a link, but heads-up for someone who can. 

Cheers, Ian

Well, with the way the marking is up by the name, one could assume they just marked the pilot's "personal" mount. The plane with the kill might have a mark too... Or they repainted the name to match the pilot and swapped modex based on seniority...

Officers can have egos  (before you start, I'll say it: "pot this is kettle")

Dave

11 hours ago, Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy said:

True, VF-41 changed 102 to 101 to make it Cdr Kleeman's personal mount.

Hmmmmm.......Looks like half of the Navy kills the past 30 years are from CVW-8.

A helo in DS from VF-1 (CVW-2), and 2 Hornets from VFA-81 (CVW-17) I think are the others.  OH, yeah....VF-32 forgot about them.

Edited by phantom