Super Hornet shoots down Syrian SU-22

On 7/31/2017 at 7:54 PM, 11bee said:

Very surprised that in this age of home grown jihadis, the Navy would release the pilot's name and allow his pic to be taken.  

Why would they do that? This guy shot down a plane used to bomb jihadis.

9 hours ago, spejic said:

Why would they do that? This guy shot down a plane used to bomb jihadis.

Agreed.   In theory, ISIS should give him a medal.  

Regardless, the fact remains that by publicizing this guy, they've made him a target.  Don't see any upside to releasing his name and putting his pic out there for the world to see.  

On 7/31/2017 at 2:22 PM, parche said:

Digital blue camouflage comes to mind... and let's not forget LCS...

This was a stitch too:

https://www.navytimes.com/articles/the- ... d-shake-up

The move ends every enlisted rating, some of them like Gunner's mate, Quartermaster and Boatswain's mate that dated back to the Continental Navy. The Navy has had nearly 700 different rating titles in that time — all of which are now history.

2 months later:

https://www.navytimes.com/articles/rati ... itles-back

OOPS!!

Oh no way? you mean that was a horrifically stupid and short sighted decision that undid your entire structure was a bad idea?

9 hours ago, 11bee said:

Agreed.   In theory, ISIS should give him a medal.  

Regardless, the fact remains that by publicizing this guy, they've made him a target.  Don't see any upside to releasing his name and putting his pic out there for the world to see.  

There are clearly upsides. its a balancing act. Its not uncommon for military publications to give full names, units, hometowns, and duty station in their generic descriptions. 

"Its just great to be out here where men are men and sheep are fearful" says Private Enrique "schmuck" Shmuckatelli from Bumhole, Texas. Shmuckatelli and Marines from 3/1 out of Camp Pendleton are enjoying their time between brothels as a part of operation Viper Sphincter 2017 with the 17th MEOW...

SOCOM has a website. 

49 minutes ago, TaiidanTomcat said:

There are clearly upsides. its a balancing act. Its not uncommon for military publications to give full names, units, hometowns, and duty station in their generic descriptions. 

"Its just great to be out here where men are men and sheep are fearful" says Private Enrique "schmuck" Shmuckatelli from Bumhole, Texas. Shmuckatelli and Marines from 3/1 out of Camp Pendleton are enjoying their time between brothels as a part of operation Viper Sphincter 2017 with the 17th MEOW...

SOCOM has a website. 

Yeah, I don't think average grunts have much to fear.   However anyone even remotely notorious is a different story.   Ask the ex-skipper of the USS Vincennes (the ship that shot down an Iranian airliner) how he felt when someone blew up the family minivan with his wife behind the wheel.  

If if I was that Navy pilot, I would have much preferred to forego my 5 minutes of fame and simply remain anonymous.  

If if I was that Navy pilot, I would have much preferred to forego my 5 minutes of fame and simply remain anonymous.  

It is entirely within the realm of possible he did not have a choice.  "Get out there and do some good PA work," is, unfortunately, a legal order.

2 hours ago, 11bee said:

Yeah, I don't think average grunts have much to fear.  

Lol really? What an interesting statement. 

Of all the things that have gone on over there, a pilot that shoots down one plane associated with a government that wants little to do with fighting the US is a pretty interesting fear. You would think all the air to ground work would be drawing more ire from factions under attack daily. 

Anyway I'm Sure he will go deep into navy witness protection. I see your point I simply think it's not very relevant even to the enemy, but we shall see. Also random attacks against easy targets are more common than deep targeting of specific personnel. 

2 hours ago, 11bee said:

Ask the ex-skipper of the USS Vincennes (the ship that shot down an Iranian airliner) how he felt when someone blew up the family minivan with his wife behind the wheel.  

Maybe he's divorced and doesn't like his ex. 

• 3 weeks later...

From a friend serving on the Bush.

No automatic alt text available.

Once the inevitable decals are released, gotta make sure you add the lighter color used when the changed the pilot's name. 

My guess is that you'll see a lot of these shirts around town once the Bush makes it back to VA in a few days.

No automatic alt text available.

19 hours ago, Murph said:

So did they really change the modex from 404 to 402 after the kill?

Regards,

Murph

My understanding from talking to some friends is that 304 was his jet but he was flying XOs aircraft on that day, so now 302 has his name on it. Also, the modex in that pic doesn't look changed just the name.

15 hours ago, hblecha said:

Apparently not since the modex on the Hornet shooter as seen in the picture provided by 11bee is 302.

Ciao!!

Henry

Thanks. for the info.

4 hours ago, Spike72 said:

My understanding from talking to some friends is that 304 was his jet but he was flying XOs aircraft on that day, so now 302 has his name on it. Also, the modex in that pic doesn't look changed just the name.

Agreed that the modex doesn't look like it's been changed, just the pilot's name.  Some aviation website was claiming that they changed the modex too.  Since "402" is typically assigned to the exec, something will have to change on that score sooner or later.

Regards,

Murph

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Pete Wenman said:

Let's see if this works

Hot from Hook 17

https://livestream.com/wab/tailhook2017/videos/162478715

Nope can't get the embedding to work, so follow the link

P

Thanks for the link, it was an interesting talk.  Definitely provides more info on the events that day.    Sounds like the HUD film has made the rounds within the fleet, hoping it will become public at some point soon. 

I found it interesting that after the shoot down, he found himself low and possibly in range of some AA systems so he jettisoned all of his external tanks and stores.   Said he hit the tanker outbound with nothing but a wingtip -9X.   Nice painting!