Super Hornet shoots down Syrian SU-22

The video above was embedded in the VFA-31 cruise video, which was strange since they didn't shoot down the Fitter.   Regardless, the entire cruise video is here if interested:

https://vk.com/video9014095_456239070

Nice vid, worth watching the whole thing, has some nice air to air shots of Russian Flankers.

Link courtesy of The War Zone.   

Was reading about the engagement. sounds like they used the AIM-120D.   I haven't followed this too closely, wasn't aware that the D version was in frontline service yet.   

There are some interesting pics out there of Bush's SH's in Air to Air configuration with nothing but a targeting pod, external tank, 6 AIM-120D's and wingtip AIM-9's.  Nice change of pace from a modeling standpoint instead of just wall to wall bombs. 

I was chatting with some AF guys at an air show the other day and asked what they knew and could say about the AIM-9X failure, and they seemed pretty relaxed about it.  I don't know if they were toeing the company line, or offering their real views on it, but they seemed to be pretty confident the AIM-9X was spoofed by a flare.  If remember right, they said the angle of the attack made that much more likely and that most IR missiles would have encountered the same issue.  They didn't seem to think it was a big deal.

1 hour ago, Ken Cartwright said:

I was chatting with some AF guys at an air show the other day and asked what they knew and could say about the AIM-9X failure, and they seemed pretty relaxed about it.  I don't know if they were toeing the company line, or offering their real views on it, but they seemed to be pretty confident the AIM-9X was spoofed by a flare.  If remember right, they said the angle of the attack made that much more likely and that most IR missiles would have encountered the same issue.  They didn't seem to think it was a big deal.

Curious if the Su was fitted with a missile approach warning system or the hapless pilot just happened to look over his shoulder and saw the inbound Sidewinder in time to deploy flares?  

Edited by 11bee
1 hour ago, 11bee said:

Was reading about the engagement. sounds like they used the AIM-120D.   I haven't followed this too closely, wasn't aware that the D version was in frontline service yet.   

There are some interesting pics out there of Bush's SH's in Air to Air configuration with nothing but a targeting pod, external tank, 6 AIM-120D's and wingtip AIM-9's.  Nice change of pace from a modeling standpoint instead of just wall to wall bombs. 

The D version is out but the AMRAAM used was a C variant.

1 minute ago, GW8345 said:

The D version is out but the AMRAAM used was a C variant.

That’s interesting.  Got the impression they  were only using D’s.  Wonder if the C model is complementary to the D for certain missions?   

There's a hell of a lot more 120Cs in inventory than 120Ds, and they have excellent shelf-life and captive carry hours remaining.  In a theater where you don't NEED the latest and greatest advancements (because there really isn't much in the way of air-to-air threats) you don't want to burn out your 120D airframes.  Hell, I'm surprised they're not carrying Bs.

10 minutes ago, Waco said:

There's a hell of a lot more 120Cs in inventory than 120Ds, and they have excellent shelf-life and captive carry hours remaining.  In a theater where you don't NEED the latest and greatest advancements (because there really isn't much in the way of air-to-air threats) you don't want to burn out your 120D airframes.  Hell, I'm surprised they're not carrying Bs.

Figured since there were other nations flying higher end aircraft in the same area that they might be using the latest equip.  Wouldn’t that be why they have Raptors occasionally deployed or do the F-22’s really add that much to other non-a2a missions?

Wonder how the -120 holds up on those outward canted SH underwing pylons?  

47 minutes ago, Waco said:

The Raptors add significant capability in theater, period.

And again, there's just not that many Ds in service compared to Cs.

And by the same logic, there's just not that many F-22s in service compared to F-15s.   :monkeydance:

Failing to see the point....you're correct.  There are not many Raptors in service.  Although, comparatively, it's not that much lower than the number of combat coded F-15Cs left in service. 

Not the same as a new munition that's in the early stages of being fielded.

Combatant Commander has requested capabilities that only the F-22 can provide, so F-22s are sourced to fulfill the request.  Not sure what this has to do with the proliferation of munition types carried by USN fighters.