Sailors lost on FITZGERALD identified

The seven Sailors who perished on FITZGERALD have been identified.

Navy.mil Story

Sailor rest your oar...

Please take a moment to remember the servicemen and women from all countries who risk their lives in service to their country every day.

Dave

Just got back from a week's vacation and am reading about this for the first time.  What a horrible accident.  RIP to those poor sailors.   Three manned lookouts, night vision equip, multiple radars and yet the Captain wasn't even called to the bridge before the collision?  The bridge audio tapes are going to be out at some point, my guess is that they will be tough to listen to.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/23/world/asia/destroyer-fitzgerald-collision.html

• 1 month later...

What for do you speak 11bee?? I was unable to find where a couple of ships may have collided recently.  There was the finding of the USS Indianapolis wreckage in the Philippine Sea and a Blackhawk that went down off the west coast of Hawaii.  That was an Army helicopter with 5 missing.  Maybe you need to be a little bit more specific about what you are referring to.  Have a good day.

Ciao!!

Henry

40 minutes ago, 305swag said:

Dang , AGAIN! Sorry for the loss of life, but dang! 

Something is radically wrong here.   2nd loss of life collision in a couple of months, hard to see any other outcome besides failure of the US bridge crew.  7th fleet has some major, major issues.  A few months before this, a cruiser hit a S. Korean fishing boat and before that, a skipper sailed another cruiser onto the rocks off of Japan.   

Meanwhile, China is gloating.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/21/uss-john-s-mccain-accident-created-applause-chinese-state-media.html

4 hours ago, 11bee said:

Something is radically wrong here...

Honestly, who can argue with that sentiment. My thoughts are obviously with the families of those who have lost loved ones in these bizarre accidents. But something is fundamentally wrong when warships with some of the most sensitive/sophisticated  detection equipment on the seas are crashing into relatively slow lumbering (errrrr...noisy...) container/cargo ships and what should be clearly charted shallows. This just doesn't make sense.

Again, thoughts and prayers to those affected by these accidents.

Don

On 8/22/2017 at 11:38 PM, Don said:

Honestly, who can argue with that sentiment. My thoughts are obviously with the families of those who have lost loved ones in these bizarre accidents. But something is fundamentally wrong when warships with some of the most sensitive/sophisticated  detection equipment on the seas are crashing into relatively slow lumbering (errrrr...noisy...) container/cargo ships and what should be clearly charted shallows. This just doesn't make sense.

Again, thoughts and prayers to those affected by these accidents.

Don

i'm not going to get into it. as its time to mourn and the time to blame will be soon enough and last a long while. Maybe thats the subject for another thread that would probably be quickly locked. 

I recognized one of the last names, belonged to a Marine I know-- not sure if they are of relation. My condolences And thanks to the OP for posting