CD48128 - 1/48 F-100 in Vietnam - Part 2

CD48128 will be the sequel to the F-100 Vietnam sheet I did a few years ago. This new Vietnam sheet will have  more camouflaged Huns with nose art, some of which have never been done before in decal form. It will also have markings for a couple natural-metal/silver early war Huns, including Don Kilgus' jet. Most likely an October / November release.

Edited by KursadA

interesting..I have an F-100D in the stash and I ahve been looking for some interesting Vietnam Camo markings to do it up in..I will have to keep an eye on this thread. Most likely gonna buy a set when they come out,

Sean

Do you have the very old "Replica in Scale" article on the F-100? They have a photo of an F-100 with aircraft name on the inside of the intake as early regulations within the USAF (did not last long) prohibited nose art or names on aircraft.  So far what you have on this decal is going to make this a must have.  Thanks 

1 hour ago, aircal62 said:

Do you have the very old "Replica in Scale" article on the F-100? They have a photo of an F-100 with aircraft name on the inside of the intake as early regulations within the USAF (did not last long) prohibited nose art or names on aircraft.  So far what you have on this decal is going to make this a must have.  Thanks 

I have that book, and will look into including an option like that if the serial number and unit were known.

What I really need is a photo of "Pretty Penny". I have seen it done in decal form a few times, but never a photo of the actual aircraft. Does anyone know where I can find one?

I've seen one photo of Pretty Penny way, way back when but I cannot remember where I saw it.  I am thinking it was in an old AHS Journal.   Might want to contact Robert Dorr or Lou Drendel (are they sill with us?) as Dave Menard is gone.  Your inclusion of Capt. Don Kiglus's bird is a very good idea and long overdue. 

8 hours ago, Blek Stena said:

Osprey Combat aircraft No.89 "F-100 Units of Vietnam War" on page 27 has picture of Pretty Penny.

BTW, I have your F-100 decals part 1, but if you include Pretty Penny in part 2, this is alone enough good reason to buy part two sheet also.

Thanks! I will buy the book right away. I am sure many if you will like the diversity if this sheet - looks like I will be able to place at least 2 silver and 4-5 csmo options on this one.

I worked a little on the layout of this sheet when I took a break from shipping your preorders last night. My dilemma is that I now seem to have enough material for two new Vietnam F-100 sheets : one with 4-5 new camouflaged aircraft and one with the same number of silver, early-war aircraft. The success of the first sheet triggered many e-mails from several former Hun driver and maintainers, and I received many interesting photos.

The silver scheme has larger national insignia and common markings, and there does not seem to be an optimal way of combining both schemes on the same sheet.

So I may end up doing two new 1/48 scale Vietnam F-100 sheets.  CD48128 will be dedicated to silver, early-war examples. But another F-100 sheet will be announced soon.

Great idea doing two sheets.  It will be great to get correct black walk ways and correct data.    Microscale/superscale somehow got the walkways in red.  I am putting together a package to send you with some H04S factory drawings showing data and markings and I am going to include the F-100 drawing showing same.  If they are use, OK and if not that is OK too.

11 minutes ago, aircal62 said:

Great idea doing two sheets.  It will be great to get correct black walk ways and correct data.    Microscale/superscale somehow got the walkways in red.  I am putting together a package to send you with some H04S factory drawings showing data and markings and I am going to include the F-100 drawing showing same.  If they are use, OK and if not that is OK too.

The HO4-S drawings (and F-100) would be most welcome.  I would appreciate it if you could send them as soon as possible, if at all convenient. I need to wrap up the Chickasaw sheet before July 10 to meet my release schedule; and researching the maintenance data is slowing me down. I will send you a PM offline.

Edited by KursadA
On 6/28/2017 at 4:34 PM, KursadA said:

The HO4-S drawings (and F-100) would be most welcome.  I would appreciate it if you could send them as soon as possible, if at all convenient. I need to wrap up the Chickasaw sheet before July 10 to meet my release schedule; and researching the maintenance data is slowing me down. I will send you a PM offline.

Back in April I did a walkaround of the USAF Museum's H-19, including closeups of the stencils, etc. You may find it useful. Shared google photos album is here:

https://goo.gl/photos/mZYsCL98n8BVf6TXA

I'm going back to the Museum tomorrow if you need anything else.

Bob in Louisville

On 6/28/2017 at 3:22 PM, aircal62 said:

I received the HO4S reference material today - thank you for taking the time to send me these so quickly. These will be very helpful to finish the H-19 sheet quickly in a few marathon sessions this week.

On 6/30/2017 at 8:45 AM, sierrascale said:

Back in April I did a walkaround of the USAF Museum's H-19, including closeups of the stencils, etc. You may find it useful. Shared google photos album is here:

https://goo.gl/photos/mZYsCL98n8BVf6TXA

I'm going back to the Museum tomorrow if you need anything else.

Bob in Louisville

The walkaround was very helpful, Bob -it definitely clarified quite a few markings related questions I had. I have myself been the museum fairly recently and I think I have all I need for the rest of the year, thanks for your kind offer! The lighting is less than optimal at most of USAF Museum's hangars, but their collection is awesome.

• 5 months later...
On 12/12/2017 at 4:14 PM, Tracy White said:

If you still need a subject for the early F-100 sheet might I suggest one of the aircraft of the 4520th Combat Crew Training Wing (aka Fighter Weapons School)? Specifically, 56-2931 may be somewhat significant as it was the air frame that 40-Second Boyd had to eject from.

What I have in mind is a Vietnam sheet rather than an early Hun sheet - sorry. I still have not sold out one of my earlier ANG F-100 sheets and will not release another non-Vietnam War themed F-100 sheet until it is gone.

No apology needed - it looks like most modelers associate the F-100 with Vietnam; and while there are many nice colorful early Hun schemes, I want to finish the second Vietnam Hun sheet and at least get close to selling out the ANG sheet.