CD48128 - 1/48 F-100 in Vietnam - Part 2

This sheet will be part of the next batch of releases - I am still working on the final layout, but it looks like there will be space for 3-4 silver, early-war Huns (including Don Kilgus' Mig killer)  in addition to 2 camouflaged F-100D's with nose art. Enough stencilling and common markings to do one silver and one camouflaged jet.

The options on the final sheet will be:

- F-100D 56-3285 "Pretty Penny" (silver)

- F-100D 55-2894 "Kay Lynn"  - Don Kilgus' Mig-17 killer (silver)

- F-100D 56-3265 "Iron Bird"  (camo)

- F-100D 56-3392 "Turtle Mountain Express" (camo)

"Pretty Penny" has been done several times before, but I think this sheet has far more comprehensive, period-accurate stencilling for silver aircraft, and I am sure you will like my interpretation. The Mig killer needs no introduction, while both camouflaged options have very nice nose art and have never been done in this scale before.

Complete national insignia and stencilling to finish one silver and one camouflaged F-100D.

cd48128.jpg

Edited by KursadA
35 minutes ago, IAGeezer said:

2018 is gonna be a decal-costly year.

-first-world problems, right?

This. :thumbsup:

Kursad, looking good! I've been getting the urge to pull another Monogram Hun out of the stash.

Ben

8 minutes ago, aircal62 said:

The stenciling is the best I have ever seen done for a silver F-100, and correct black wing walks too.  Will buy several just for this

I think many of you will like the stencilling - thanks to the fabulous "Triple Zilch" walkaround posted on Hyperscale a few years ago and an excellent period photo set that was recently posted on Flickr; I was able to design a pretty good set of main stencils. I plan to use this artwork in the future for another early Hun (pre-Vietnam) sheet and possibly some 1/32 sheets - existing 1/32 offerings have very simplistic stencilling for this scale.

1/32 is definitely in need of stencils. The stencil sheet from another decal manufacturer is all wrong, with most of the stencils being incorrect and sized something closer to 1/48 scale.

I'm looking forward to this decal sheet!

Ben

• 2 months later...

This sheet is ready, along with all the other releases in the new batch. This turned out really nice - the subtle message in the "Iron Bird" nose art is clearly visible, and the early type stencilling looks great.

f100a.jpg

f100b.jpg

f100c.jpg

f100d.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

Question on the sheet. I was really wanting to do "Ironbird" but the tail number in the description is 56-3295 and the number on the artwork is ...265. I was looking for a reference photo to see what style of refueling probe was used but can't find a reference photo of searching for either tail and now I confused as to which number is correct. 

2 hours ago, Ben Brown said:

To answer @Dafixer’s other question, all of the jets on that sheet would have had the curved IFR probe. The original straight probe went away pretty quickly and was gone by the time F-100s went to Vietnam.

Ben

Thank you sir! I was chasing some photo proof of this but it was proving harder than I thought to locate so your info is very welcome.